Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Is Rolando McClain Coming Back or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    Because he was more than a good prospect. He had all the makings of the next GREAT linebacker.
    Not good, but great.
    He was a leader of one of the best defenses in college football (if not the best) and won a national championship.
    He was a student of the game and knew where all 11 should be every play.
    He was physically gifted and worked hard.
    He was very young and made big mistakes...after he was drafted.
    But he's SHOWN that he's not a great linebacker.

He's not some fresh face out of college, with the promise that brings.

He's played in the league. There's real tape on him. And he isn't that good.

I don't understand why people are so concerned at all about this situation. It's really a no-lose, non-issue.

One possibility is that he shows up for the OTA's in great shape. He stays committed. He is a great teammate. He runs all over the field, making plays, looking like the top ten pick that he is. He kicks ass in the preseason and earns a spot on the team.

The other possibility is we cut him.

Those are the only two I see, and either one is just fine.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

He's a pretty good run-defender.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

And average at best as a pass defender. So your basic 2-down ILB. Good to have if he pans out.

He has shown that he wasn't a great player at Oakland.
    Is that more of a reflection of just him, or is Oakland part of the story or both plus other circumstances?
    Did they use him correctly?
    How about Priest Holmes? Did he look that great in the Ravens' backfield?
    It is not always so cut and dry.
    And I believe in Ozzie knowing how good Rolando actually IS, and the difference between the Rolando that played at Alabama and the Rolando that played at Oakland.

Maybe he believes McClain can thrive HERE, where he didn't in Oakland.
    It's not only right player, right price, it's also about the right system for that player.
    He could be resurrected at the age of 25. Around the same age that Ed Reed began his pro career.
    I'm glad we had the 24 year old Ed Reed rather than an age 20 Ed Reed.
    The difference in those years can make all the difference.
    It is just another factor to consider.
    McClain still has the possibility of 8+ better years of football than he has played thus far.
    And this year, we are paying him next to nothing to prove himself.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree. But that can be had by any number of draft picks.

FTR, I am ok with us kicking the tires with him. I just don't have as large expectations for him as others.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    And average at best as a pass defender. So your basic 2-down ILB. Good to have if he pans out.
    huh? Where did that come from? In 2011, 99 tackles, 5 sacks and 14 pass defenses, at age 22.

I agree. But that can be had by any number of draft picks.

FTR, I am ok with us kicking the tires with him. I just don't have as large expectations for him as others.
    I am hoping. I do see the possibilities. And I could be completely wrong. I am really hoping he thrives here and gets his life back on track.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    in 2011 he had 14 passes defensed, I think that shows ability though inconsistency. We could sit here and say Smith was a great pass defender last year but lacked in run support to a degree... he had 18 PD last year. Missing context but I think that does show theres some ability there. FTR, Bynes has 4... in his career. Hes not ever going to be a 3 down LB, imo.

As far as we can bring somebody else in or draft somebody or his potential is gone... hes 24. I dont see the argument that he doesnt have potential to get better when hes like 1-2 years older than a good many of the prospects in this draft.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    in 2011 he had 14 passes defensed, I think that shows ability though inconsistency. We could sit here and say Smith was a great pass defender last year but lacked in run support to a degree... he had 18 PD last year. Missing context but I think that does show theres some ability there. FTR, Bynes has 4... in his career. Hes not ever going to be a 3 down LB, imo. .
    Bynes may never be a 3-down LB, but he paid his dues as a UDFA and fought to keep his spot on the roster. McClain was a 1st round draft choice who hasn't yet shown he can keep his head in the game. As for comparing number of passes defensed, how many NFL snaps has Bynes had compared to McClain?

As others have said, no harm in kicking the tires here as the cost is low. But until I see evidence that McClain has changed his stripes, I'd absolutely rather have Bynes on my team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    in 2011 he had 14 passes defensed, I think that shows ability though inconsistency. We could sit here and say Smith was a great pass defender last year but lacked in run support to a degree... he had 18 PD last year. Missing context but I think that does show theres some ability there. FTR, Bynes has 4... in his career. Hes not ever going to be a 3 down LB, imo.

As far as we can bring somebody else in or draft somebody or his potential is gone... hes 24. I dont see the argument that he doesnt have potential to get better when hes like 1-2 years older than a good many of the prospects in this draft.
    Bynes was almost an afterthought. FO liked Chavis Williams better, PS'd him first, promoted him first... a year later Chavis is gone and Josh is still hanging on. I think McClain could push Josh out if he returns, especially if he is willing to double up on ST.
    The caveat is that anybody wanting money "wants" to play (just ask McKinnie), what happens afterwards?
    Right now we have the catbird seat and need a good read on the fire he has to come back.
    Waiting a year could be an option, bringing him in now then cutting him opens the door for every other team.... I'm sure Ozzie will be trying to read that if/when he meets with him.... he is better than the Michael McAdoos and Adrian Hamiltons if he has his attitude right
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Is Rolando McClain Coming Back or Not?

We are only putting him in camp and he will notice when he actually turns up that we (from what I hear) have a more positive team culture than OAK.

I would have hoped Ozzie reached out to him before and stayed in touch if only for the chance to see if he can be a good player for the ravens with not much downside.

I think it will be a good test of harbaugh to see if he can integrate mcclain. mike zimmer did a great job with burfict at CIN and although he does boneheaded stuff he is an asset to that team on balance (for an UDFA).

I would love to see him at camp.

Edit ok I realise he isn't signed at the moment