OT: God Bless The USA

As a lead-in to draft week, next week, I thought all of you may enjoy this rendition of God Bless the USA:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/daqwGR...yer_detailpage
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Re: OT: God Bless The USA

On second thought, this thread is certainly NOT OFF TOPIC!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

The song been subject to a lot of discussion here and on the predecessor message boards. Sometimes it gets acrimonious and turns into a political discussion, winding up getting whacked or moved to the politics forum. Hopefully, that doesn't happen this time.

I don't see this as OT, since the Lee Greenwood version is in the heart of the Raven the pregame ceremony, honoring our veterans. (I don't see a connection to the draft -- then again, I don't watch the draft). (Moreover, it is offseason, and we see discussions about baseball & hockey)

The Texas Tenors performance is just ... wow! It is certainly well done - thank you for posting and I will add this to my You Tube collection.

Nonetheless, I like tradition. Greenwood's version was featured at the stadium shortly after 9/11 and has been presented before every home game since. I hope that the Ravens brass doesn't change this.

https://youtu.be/Q65KZIqay4E
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I never had a problem with the song and am always kind of surprised that so many here seem to have an issue with it. It's for the troops and, by and large, they seem to like it.

The song has a special meaning to me as it was sang at our Basic Training graduation and again after MP school.

That said, I have an issue with the know-nothngs who tell others to stand or take their hat off during the song. That's poor flag etiquette. You stand and remove your hats (Men only) when the colors pass and at the playing of the anthem. That's it.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I never had a problem with the song and am always kind of surprised that so many here seem to have an issue with it.
    Not until T mentioned it above was I ever aware of the fact that anyone could have a problem with this particular song?! To me listening to it is akin to listening to the National Anthem, or God Bless America - how that could be offensive to some is completely baffling to me!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    On second thought, this thread is certainly NOT OFF TOPIC!
    I gotta ask: how is it a relevant lead-in to sports teams picking their future millionaires?
    Last edited by moose10101; Yesterday at 03:15 PM.
    I've upped my standards. Up yours.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I gotta ask: how is a relevant lead-in to sports teams picking their future millionaires?
    Probably not the proper choice of words on my part; but, certainly for those who are moved by such patriotic songs, as am I, enjoy!

Probably not the proper choice of words on my part; but, certainly for those who are moved by such patriotic songs, as am I, enjoy!
    Yeah, I think the song stands on its own, too. Being moved is cool.
    I've upped my standards. Up yours.

Not until T mentioned it above was I ever aware of the fact that anyone could have a problem with this particular song?! To me listening to it is akin to listening to the National Anthem, or God Bless America - how that could be offensive to some is completely baffling to me!
    This discussion has come up dozens of times on this board. Im surprised you've never seen one of them.

And I don't think anyone finds it offensive. They simply don't like it.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This discussion has come up dozens of times on this board. Im surprised you've never seen one of them.

And I don't think anyone finds it offensive. They simply don't like it.
    Fair enough; and, my memory is not what it used to be, so I probably Did read the posts, but just forgot.