Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Blog Entries

Re: Most mock drafts have us taking one of these players =

Elam was always considered a SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Igotstoknow View Post
    I also harbor the same bias toward Ala defenders that many others here do. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Ozzie sees Clinton-Dix as the perfect fit
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I still don't want anyone from Alabama but you know Ozzie.
    What's the bias against Alabama players? Is it just because Courtney & Cody haven't panned out? Ozzie gives them too much benefit of the doubt? Or something else?

Blog Entries

Nick's players are over-hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Nick's players are over-hyped.
    And with that over-hyping year-after-year, it's in effect a smack to him and his coaches b/c the Alabama whole is far greater than its parts. Not that he gives a isht, of course...
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    What's the bias against Alabama players? Is it just because Courtney & Cody haven't panned out? Ozzie gives them too much benefit of the doubt? Or something else?
    Barron, Hightower, Kirkpatrick, Milliner, Jackson, Dareus, McClain, Arenas....

Dareus is the only Saban player that is good (he was #3 so should be awesome). All are underperformers compared to Draft spot. Guarantee it'll be the same will Dix.

Two reasons:
    Saban guys hit their peak in college, so there is no progression in the Pros.
    You are playing with all College Allstars, so your play is gonna be highlighted, and your mistakes are hidden.

I'd take Dix in the 2nd round b/c that's his ROI but he'll get draft before then. Same thing with Mosley.

I think Dix will be a good NFL FS.

The issue is that I and most others don't want to spend high/mid first round picks on safeties who aren't game changing guys...and I don't think Dix (or Pryor) are game changers.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

My view is that, in a way, the overhyping of Ala defenders is a compliment to Saban and his staff. He is a great defensive coach and he is the defacto D coordinator there. These guys are always part of a great defense, surrounded by other good players, so by extension they become hot prospects. I also think Ala coaching puts many of these guys closer to their ceiling when they get to the pros, unlike most other draft picks who have substantial room for growth.

Now Saban hates this notion because he's advocating for his players, and rightly so. But the performance history of Ala defenders from the Saban era in the NFL gives credence to the theory. Basically, they range from solid contributors to busts. This leads to the claim that they are overdrafted because of where they play. I think there is something to it. I kind of hate to use this term, but in many cases they appear to have been Ala system players.
    Last edited by Igotstoknow; 03-31-2014 at 12:41 PM.

There is also this perception - fairly or unfairly - that Alabama kicks the crap out of their players in practices, so they have a tendency to physically break down more rapidly and come to the pros as "damaged goods".

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    There is also this perception - fairly or unfairly - that Alabama kicks the crap out of their players in practices, so they have a tendency to physically break down more rapidly and come to the pros as "damaged goods".
    Good point, and may well be true. Saban's known as a relentless task master, which can be good, but can also be overdone.

To the people citing mocks that have the Bears taking Ha Ha at 13, maybe Ozzie trades up to get him then. Just kidding, I think... After all it was the Bears who screwed us in 2012.
    Last edited by Igotstoknow; 03-31-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    And with that over-hyping year-after-year, it's in effect a smack to him and his coaches .
    You nailed it. See his pro failures above. It's like Tedford missing with all his QBs in the pros including your boy Boller until Aaron Rogers made it big in GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think Dix will be a good NFL FS.

The issue is that I and most others don't want to spend high/mid first round picks on safeties who aren't game changing guys...and I don't think Dix (or Pryor) are game changers.
    Exactly.

That's also why I don't like Martin at 17. He really isn't a game changer as a RT. I think he could be solid, but not a Top 5 RT in the league. I think we could get a 90% of Martin later on in the draft. Sure you could say Martin could be a Yanda quality Guard in the NFL, but we already have KO & Yanda. I do think Lewan has that Top 5 RT in the league potential but could be another Kyle Turley. That scares me.

That's why I want a WR. We need a #1 or at least a complimentary guy that's as good as Torrey. To me there will be guys at #17 that are that game changing WR.... Evans/Lee/Beckham/Cooks. Evans will likely be gone (could bust too). Lee scares me b/c USC receivers have that same underperforming in the NFL syndrome like Bama defenders have. So its Beckham and Cooks for me. I'd be happy with either but Cooks is my favorite. Antonio Brown with TY Hilton speed, and huge bonus...he'd have an apprenticeship under Steve Smith for at least a year.

Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of HaHa either. I think what you see is what you get out of Alabamas players. Which of course is good, and bad. But I'd take him over Martin or Lewan at 17 honestly.