Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: The resolution of Tomlin's Sideline-gate

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If they did take a late draft pick away from the Steelers I wonder what the NFL would then have to do to the Colts for Irsay?
    I fail to see the parallel between the two very different situations.

Blog Entries

The lesson is that the next time Tomlin is near the grass in the white, take him out, he is not supposed to be there in the first place.

Remember?
    Sean Payton tore the MCL in the leg and sustained a fractured tibia in a sideline collision with Graham Oct 17, 2011
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Indeed, not surprising. The total silence from the league on this subject (after their initial statement and levy of the fine) should've been a clue.

I'm past it. Neither the Steelers nor the Ravens made the postseason. Time to move on.
    The fine should have been added to increase the Ravens salary cap. Same old NFL :(

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Some interesting and good comments on here, but I disagree with any idea that it's no big deal that the league let this "slide".

The whole idea of the league penalizing Tomlin and the Steelers is that there should be serious repercussions for screwing with the integrity of the game. Now, IMHO, Tomlin's actions were intentional. In an alternate universe, IFF we assume that the league somehow thinks that it was NOT intentional, then IMO there should never have been the sabre-rattling about the draft pick. Thus, and again IMO, there's a disconnect between what happened and what the league alleges they were trying to do ("protect the integrity of the game").

IFF the league thought/thinks there WAS intent, then there should be a draft penalty of some sort against the Steelers.

IMO, the league fucked this up...

The rooney's carry weight in the NFL, count on it.

Blog Entries

Never thought a draft pick made much sense really. Tomlin did it (intentionally, video supports that) so the punishment should have been on him. I would have gladly accepted them losing a pick but I think it would have been overkill.
    -JAB

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Never thought a draft pick made much sense really. Tomlin did it (intentionally, video supports that) so the punishment should have been on him. I would have gladly accepted them losing a pick but I think it would have been overkill.
    :word

I never expected anything beyond a fine and I was surprised by even that much at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If they did take a late draft pick away from the Steelers I wonder what the NFL would then have to do to the Colts for Irsay?
    I don't expect much of anything here either. I mean hell...... it looks like the Haslem thing has already been swept under the rug. I would like to think Goddell doesn't have double standards when it comes to players and owners but you have to wonder.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Some interesting and good comments on here, but I disagree with any idea that it's no big deal that the league let this "slide".

The whole idea of the league penalizing Tomlin and the Steelers is that there should be serious repercussions for screwing with the integrity of the game. Now, IMHO, Tomlin's actions were intentional. In an alternate universe, IFF we assume that the league somehow thinks that it was NOT intentional, then IMO there should never have been the sabre-rattling about the draft pick. Thus, and again IMO, there's a disconnect between what happened and what the league alleges they were trying to do ("protect the integrity of the game").

IFF the league thought/thinks there WAS intent, then there should be a draft penalty of some sort against the Steelers.

I agree completely. I wonder how the Patriots feel about this? I mean cheating is cheating. There was obvious intent. The only difference I could see here is that with the Tomlin incident it was a spontaneous event where the spy gate incident was a premeditated event. In that light $100k fine and a late round draft pick would have been fair IMO.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post

I disagree with the idea that intent should be considered. It's like the way they legislated blows to the head. They have punished a lot of players who clearly intended to make good solid football plays, but with the speed of the game and a receiver ducking their head at the last second, they get punished. "Doesn't matter," says the NFL. "It is your responsibility as a player to make sure you avoid making contact with the head, intent or not. Period, full-stop."

Similarly in this situation, I think the NFL should have issued a stiff penalty, and basically said, "I don't give a crap whether you intended to interfere or not. We give you six feet of white space that you are not supposed to be in. If you not only venture into that, but across it and into the green, WHILE PLAY IS IN PROGRESS, it was either intentional or unbelievably careless. We are going to smack you real hard so that you and other coaches in the league will start paying some real attention to where your feet are."
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

As a famous lady MOD always said:

SCREW EM ALL!

Blog Entries

My biggest beef has always been that he kept his spot on the competition committee. That's just stupid.

And it seems like everyone keeps saying "The embarrassment is punishment enough for Tomlin". BULL. SHIT. I wouldn't be embarrassed, considering all it really cost him was a portion of his salary, with no suspension or repercussions to his team. He probably can't do it again without looking like it's more intentional, but the man isn't going to be blushing when they show that back in 1, 2, or 5 years. He'll be laughing.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I still think M&T should ban him from the Sidelines and make him coach from the box.