Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 98
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,944
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??



    I should've left it at Ricky Fucking Proehl...

    The money matters
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,793

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    The money in this matter is irrelevant
    I think it's absolutely relevant. If Webb feels like he is going to take a big hit in the wallet with his next contract due to a move to FS, he might not only balk at the idea, but he might also walk when he can in order to play CB elsewhere.




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,030
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'd take that bet. I don't think the team is discussing it at all.

    The two positions are not as interchangeable as tackle / guard scenarios, especially if the reason is because of his knees. FS is still torque on the knees. CB is more of a skill position, requiring the player to be far more mentally prepared than a FS. You don't just cast off that skill because you have a need some place else, especially considering the skill level at which Webb plays.

    So they have not signed anyone yet. That matters today how? We still have a 2nd round of free agency and a draft to fill holes.
    I wouldn't count so much on a second round of free agency this year because teams don't have to cut players like they've had to in the past. Those vastly inflated contracts that everyone was predicting for the most part didn't arrive. Teams have a lot of cap space and don't have to cut players to sign free agents. I think a lot of the cuts the were going to occur already did occur.

    Once we get to the end of April the free agents left on the market are going to really drop their asking prices. No one is going to want to go into the draft without a team. What that means for the Ravens is filling that FS spot with a guy currently on the market and there aren't that many of them out there.

    Tons of players have switched from CB to FS. Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, Antrel Rolle, Charles Woodson etc... It's not like a good CB has never done this and it's a crazy idea. Rod Woodson even did it coming off of the same injury that Webb suffered and that was before treatment was at the level that it's at now. It's all going to come down to who the Ravens have on the roster near training camp. I don't think this is a likely move for Webb but it's absolutely possible.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  4. #34

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    There are definitely reasons for not moving Webb to FS, but it drives me nuts when people bring up his contract (which was signed before he blew out his 2nd knee).

    A. Players' salaries should never stop the Ravens from putting the best possible 11 guys out on the field at any given time.

    B. How will people feel about his contract when he blows out a knee for the third time? Will he then be making too much money to be sitting on IR for the season? You betcha...




  5. #35

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I should've left it at Ricky Fucking Proehl...

    The money matters
    No i dont think it does, hes going to get paid the same amount this year if he plays zero snaps or every snap,

    The idea is if we need webb to play safety THIS year... so how does the money matter please explain it?

    Money in this specific case is completely irrelevant; the only thing that matters is IF he is capable of being a starting Safety




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,793

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    Players' salaries should never stop the Ravens from putting the best possible 11 guys out on the field at any given time....
    In the short term, I agree. In the bigger picture, it's problematic.




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I swear I'm in the movie Groundhog Day sometimes...

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great movie, but bad for us when you're relating to it on a forum haha




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    2,800

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    I can't believe this thread is onto four pages, and I'm adding to it.

    Look at it this way: let's say tomorrow the Ravens release Lardarius Webb. How long do you think he would sit on the FA market? And do you think the team that signed him would sign him to be one of their starting CB's (and pay him accordingly) or sign him to play FS?

    Dude is a CB. Could he maybe make that end-of-career switch and milk a couple years out of playing FS when he's 34. MAYBE. But he's 29, and he's a CB, and a damn good one.

    It's much easier to find a FS. It's also much easier to compensate schematically for a below-average FS than a below-average CB. That's why they make less.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #40

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I can't believe this thread is onto four pages, and I'm adding to it.

    Look at it this way: let's say tomorrow the Ravens release Lardarius Webb. How long do you think he would sit on the FA market? And do you think the team that signed him would sign him to be one of their starting CB's (and pay him accordingly) or sign him to play FS?

    Dude is a CB. Could he maybe make that end-of-career switch and milk a couple years out of playing FS when he's 34. MAYBE. But he's 29, and he's a CB, and a damn good one.

    It's much easier to find a FS. It's also much easier to compensate schematically for a below-average FS than a below-average CB. That's why they make less.
    Hes not that good anymore hes knees have killed him. I just dont understand why ppl would be opposed for him to play safety for one year until we draft or find a real safety (IF there are no other options) His salary would have no baring on a one year at safety.

    The comments about his salary are what make no sense, he would be a stop gap until we found a real S. if you dont think he can play S, than thats a totally different argument.




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    It is easier and cheaper to sign/draft a FS than it is to replace a guy like Webb who is one of our starting CBs.




  12. #42

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    In the short term, I agree. In the bigger picture, it's problematic.
    I would (of course) be thrilled if he returned to his stellar CB play of 2011, but I have my doubts that he is even physically capable of that. If he doesn't, his contract is problematic no matter where he's lining up on the field.




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    2,559

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    I would (of course) be thrilled if he returned to his stellar CB play of 2011, but I have my doubts that he is even physically capable of that. If he doesn't, his contract is problematic no matter where he's lining up on the field.
    This is exactly where I'm at with this thing. Webb has not YET returned to the PB corner he was prior to the knee injury. could he this year? Maybe, maybe not. They used him mostly covering the slot receiver last year. Your best corners are always on the outside covering the speed receivers. So in a sense, he was overpaid last year and I heard no one bitching about it then. Again, his next contract will be in accordance to his skills, position, age, etc. But for now if he fills a need at FS I don't think it would be a stupid idea, regardless of his current salary.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!




  14. #44

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    This is exactly where I'm at with this thing. Webb has not YET returned to the PB corner he was prior to the knee injury. could he this year? Maybe, maybe not. They used him mostly covering the slot receiver last year. Your best corners are always on the outside covering the speed receivers. So in a sense, he was overpaid last year and I heard no one bitching about it then. Again, his next contract will be in accordance to his skills, position, age, etc. But for now if he fills a need at FS I don't think it would be a stupid idea, regardless of his current salary.
    but around here it doesnt matter, the salary is just toooooo much to have him go from playing nickel b.c he cant play against #1 or #2 WR..... so clearly we would rather pay him to stay at corner and only play 65% of snaps vs 100% at Safety

    his ability to play safety is completely irrelevant around here, all that matters is salary, allegedly




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,793

    Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    but around here it doesnt matter, the salary is just toooooo much to have him go from playing nickel b.c he cant play against #1 or #2 WR..... so clearly we would rather pay him to stay at corner and only play 65% of snaps vs 100% at Safety

    his ability to play safety is completely irrelevant around here, all that matters is salary, allegedly
    Well, there's a hyperbolic misrepresentation of what most posters are saying.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland