Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    "Oh what a tangled Webb we weave when first we practice at Free Safety"...Sir Walter Scott
    ... Bc
    Didn't Joe Pesci say something similar to that in "JFK?"

I am sorry. Did I stumble onto the Comedy Channel ?? I was looking for NFL Football.
    Captain Offense

I said that a long time ago. Webb played safety in college and would be an excellent fit. Trouble is who replaces him as the DB. IN addition his contract is what you pay a excellent corner back not a novice at free safety. Now if the Ravens could draft a DB and get Webb to renegotiate his contract you might be on to something

Blog Entries

Webb ain't Free, he makes $7,500,000

That is more than Ed did
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I can't believe people still hold this opinion. I'd like a case study on where this got started.

Complementary thoughts will really take hold when we take Dennard at #17!
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Look kids. Parliament, Big Ben!

To answer the OP question, uh, no. :DeadHorse:

I can't believe people still hold this opinion. I'd like a case study on where this got started.
    Agreed. For this to be a good move:

1. The Ravens would have to have a big surplus of talent at corner
    2. Webb would have to be a player who should be off the field in 4 DB sets (meaning the Ravens have 2 better outside corners)

In fact, Webb is still the team's 2nd best outside corner and best overall corner with his contributions inside on the nickel.

The idea has been floating around out there for some time. Primarily since Webb went down with his second knee injury. Here are a couple of clips from a year ago discussing the idea.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/spo...webb-to-safety

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/201...webb-to-safety

Had we not lost Graham I would say that it would be worth consideration, but with Webb at FS that would leave Smith & Brown at the CB positions. Last year Webb spent a lot of time covering the slot receiver so I would question how the Ravens feel about this idea of moving him to FS? Haven't heard any buzz about it recently.

Obviously it's not the best scenario, but it's not as outlandish as you guys are making it seem. The contract can be renegotiated at some point if this would turn out to be a permanent situation.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Yes. Yes, it is outlandish. Very outlandish.

From a pure football/skill set perspective, it makes a little sense, at least. Webb has the skill set to be a good FS even if he's a little light (not lighter than Tyrann Mathieu who played FS at a high level last season, though.) The Ravens also have an obvious need at the position.

I think it's also buoyed by the idea that Webb might not return to his 2011 level of play because of his torn ACL, which is clearly false. Webb was playing at a very high level at the close of the year after a few hiccups early, and he'll probably only be better in 2014.

You don't move a Pro Bowl caliber corner to FS unless you have a ton of talent at CB and the Ravens absolutely don't, especially not at slot corner, which Webb plays better than almost anybody in the NFL. When you consider that you need 3 starting CBs in today's NFL, honestly the Ravens need CB help just as much as FS. They have no one right now who can come in and play outside corner opposite Smith in nickel sets unless Chykie Brown is a lot better than we think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    (not lighter than Tyrann Mathieu who played FS at a high level last season, though.)
    I really wanted the honey badger last year in the draft.