Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

I would think it would be difficult for a barely 180 lb FS to last a full season in today's NFL. It's more than just playing centerfield, it's also about running with TE's and laying big hits to separate ball from player. FS have to be able to take on 210+ lb RB, WR and TE's running full speed down the middle of the field, head up and Webb wouldn't last a season doing that all game. It's a reason almost all safeties are 200lbs+.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    but around here it doesnt matter, the salary is just toooooo much to have him go from playing nickel b.c he cant play against #1 or #2 WR..... so clearly we would rather pay him to stay at corner and only play 65% of snaps vs 100% at Safety

his ability to play safety is completely irrelevant around here, all that matters is salary, allegedly
    Since when is/has he played in only 65% of snaps at corner? That he doesn't match up with #1 and #2 receivers?

No offense, but do you watch the games?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Since when is/has he played in only 65% of snaps at corner? That he doesn't match up with #1 and #2 receivers?

No offense, but do you watch the games?

He was our nickel DB all year, I didnt bother to calculate exactly how many times teams had 3wr but you get my point. He is NOT a 1 or 2 CB, hes a nickel DB at best , He was elite but his knees are shot

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    I would think it would be difficult for a barely 180 lb FS to last a full season in today's NFL. It's more than just playing centerfield, it's also about running with TE's and laying big hits to separate ball from player. FS have to be able to take on 210+ lb RB, WR and TE's running full speed down the middle of the field, head up and Webb wouldn't last a season doing that all game. It's a reason almost all safeties are 200lbs+.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    You cant hit players anymore so, might as well just dive at the knees like everyone does. If ppl dont think he can play at FS thats ok,

I just think its absurd when they say "He makes too much" to play safety for one year. hes already going to be paid this year

He was our nickel DB all year, I didnt bother to calculate exactly how many times teams had 3wr but you get my point. He is NOT a 1 or 2 CB, hes a nickel DB at best , He was elite but his knees are shot
    If you wanted to, through the magic of the internet, you could find out that Webb played 90% of his teams defensive snaps. Or you could just watch the games and realize that Webb and Smith started, and in nickel situations Graham came in and Webb moved inside to cover the slot.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about all this, but it would take you the same two minutes as I just spent to find out if the facts actually back up what you're saying. Do you know anything at all about his knees and whether they are shot, or can we assume you're just guessing about that too?

There are sites on the internet where you can just spout off a la Mike Preston about whatever, and pretend that random subjective opinions are fact. On this site, however, I have found most of the posters tend to pretty much know their stuff. Even if you disagree with them, they have facts to back things up.

So come prepared, or people are going to continue to call you out on it and you'll end up looking foolish.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Dude, he starts and plays the boundary corner is base sets against #1 and #2 guys? He plays every defensive snap. Calling him just a nickel DB is just not true at all.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I work in orthopedic surgery bro i know a little about knee surgeries

He wasn't nickel CB because Graham was a better outside corner, he was nickel CB because he was very good inside and Graham was not nearly as good so the team figured the D would be better with Graham out and Webb in than vice versa. I'm hoping you don't believe Graham is a better CB than Webb, inside or outside.
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

I work in orthopedic surgery bro i know a little about knee surgeries
    Great. Enlighten us. Seriously. If you have information, please share it. That's what this site is all about. I have learned a great deal from people on this site.

How do you know that his knees are shot? Is it because he's had ACL surgery? Lots of people have had ACL surgery and are able to play football pretty darn well. (Adrian Peterson, for example.)

What information do you have that Lardarius' knees are shot?
    "Chin up, chest out."

I work in proctology and its my professional opinion that Hbg'z posts are originating from his posterior cavity.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    He wasn't nickel CB because Graham was a better outside corner, he was nickel CB because he was very good inside and Graham was not nearly as good so the team figured the D would be better with Graham out and Webb in than vice versa. I'm hoping you don't believe Graham is a better CB than Webb, inside or outside.
    I'm thinking that you just convinced yourself that he is, at least on the outside. You don't play your #1 CB in the slot. You play him on the outside covering the top WRs'. The question here for me is: Is Webby completely healed from his last ACL, and is he still a shut down corner? If so, then he should be used outside, and he should stay at CB. If the coaches don't think he can still play outside, then the question is: where should he play? I just don't think it is a stretch to say that he would be a very good FS. He has the "ball hawk" instincts and is not afraid to tackle. Plus, he has past experience at the position. Just sayin'.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    I'm thinking that you just convinced yourself that he is, at least on the outside. You don't play your #1 CB in the slot. You play him on the outside covering the top WRs'. The question here for me is: Is Webby completely healed from his last ACL, and is he still a shut down corner? If so, then he should be used outside, and he should stay at CB. If the coaches don't think he can still play outside, then the question is: where should he play? I just don't think it is a stretch to say that he would be a very good FS. He has the "ball hawk" instincts and is not afraid to tackle. Plus, he has past experience at the position. Just sayin'.
    Webb has always, always played the slot when teams go 3 wide and played outside in base.

Why did the team give him all that money if he wasn't a #1 CB?

I get the knee injury stuff...but now people are basically saying he's not a #1 or high end CB because he plays in the slot? I don't get it...everybody was singing his praises after 2011 doing the exact same thing and playing the exact same role as he is now.

Now he's not that same guy just because people want to move him to safety?