Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yes. Yes, it is outlandish. Very outlandish.
    It is? Based on what?

The Ravens said they needed to upgrade FS and they haven't signed one. The CB market right now is a lot better than the Safety market, especially the FS market. I bet it's an option they've discussed the same way they consider moving Tackles to Guard spots.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    From a pure football/skill set perspective, it makes a little sense, at least. Webb has the skill set to be a good FS even if he's a little light (not lighter than Tyrann Mathieu who played FS at a high level last season, though.) The Ravens also have an obvious need at the position.

I think it's also buoyed by the idea that Webb might not return to his 2011 level of play because of his torn ACL, which is clearly false. Webb was playing at a very high level at the close of the year after a few hiccups early, and he'll probably only be better in 2014.

You don't move a Pro Bowl caliber corner to FS unless you have a ton of talent at CB and the Ravens absolutely don't, especially not at slot corner, which Webb plays better than almost anybody in the NFL. When you consider that you need 3 starting CBs in today's NFL, honestly the Ravens need CB help just as much as FS. They have no one right now who can come in and play outside corner opposite Smith in nickel sets unless Chykie Brown is a lot better than we think.

Webb was an elite corner, before his knee injuries... i dont get the notion why TRYING him at safety is so outlandish. I asked this question and got flamed. Web cant cover the quick out routes and slants anymore like he use to shut down.

FS is more coverage in a single high defense, which is why he is at least worth a practice/ try. We can replace DB's easier than Safeties this year.

Yes i get that hes undersized, i dont buy the fact he "makes too much" to play safety....we are already going to pay him might as well give him a try

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It is? Based on what?

The Ravens said they needed to upgrade FS and they haven't signed one. The CB market right now is a lot better than the Safety market, especially the FS market. I bet it's an option they've discussed the same way they consider moving Tackles to Guard spots.
    I'd take that bet. I don't think the team is discussing it at all.

The two positions are not as interchangeable as tackle / guard scenarios, especially if the reason is because of his knees. FS is still torque on the knees. CB is more of a skill position, requiring the player to be far more mentally prepared than a FS. You don't just cast off that skill because you have a need some place else, especially considering the skill level at which Webb plays.

So they have not signed anyone yet. That matters today how? We still have a 2nd round of free agency and a draft to fill holes.

Blog Entries

Could he do it? Doesn't really matter

Biggest contracts go to QB, pass rush, corners. He's one of the best corners on the team and he makes a lot. They'll have to find a serviceable guy for FS but moving a $7.5M corner to the spot doesn't make economic sense.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I would hope that the Ravens look at all possible scenarios when considering the personnel they have. Webb was a first-team All-Southland Conference performer as a safety in college, and I think that's where this idea gets fueled.

We all have a tendency to pooh-pooh the idea because Webb had become an elite corner with a big contract. I'm sure in terms of dollars it's not what he would want to do, but I can see why it might be considered, especially after the ACL issues. In a not so probable but remotely possible scenrio, the Ravens scoop up Dennard at #17 to be that shutdown corner opposite Jimmy Smith, and move Webb to FS, leaving Asa Jackson/Chyckie Brown to man the slot as the #3 corner. It's also possible that the Ravens draft Dennard/Gilbert at #17, put Webb on the slot and still find a FS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Could he do it? Doesn't really matter

Biggest contracts go to QB, pass rush, corners. He's one of the best corners on the team and he makes a lot. They'll have to find a serviceable guy for FS but moving a $7.5M corner to the spot doesn't make economic sense.
    Do you really think hes one of the best corners? two years ago i would have said yes, no I would not.

The money in this matter is irrelevant; in theory : lets say webb can start at FS , again in theory.

We are going to pay him either way correct? So why have someone be AT best a nickel CB, who due to his knees, may not even be able to stay with players like welker, edleman, amendola.....

or again in theory , if webb can play FS at a starter caliber. How does his salary come into play realistically? We are going to pay him this year no matter what, best to maximize his role... 7.5 mil for someone who plays 100% of downs or 65 % of downs

Blog Entries

I should've left it at Ricky Fucking Proehl...

The money matters

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    The money in this matter is irrelevant
    I think it's absolutely relevant. If Webb feels like he is going to take a big hit in the wallet with his next contract due to a move to FS, he might not only balk at the idea, but he might also walk when he can in order to play CB elsewhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'd take that bet. I don't think the team is discussing it at all.

The two positions are not as interchangeable as tackle / guard scenarios, especially if the reason is because of his knees. FS is still torque on the knees. CB is more of a skill position, requiring the player to be far more mentally prepared than a FS. You don't just cast off that skill because you have a need some place else, especially considering the skill level at which Webb plays.

So they have not signed anyone yet. That matters today how? We still have a 2nd round of free agency and a draft to fill holes.
    I wouldn't count so much on a second round of free agency this year because teams don't have to cut players like they've had to in the past. Those vastly inflated contracts that everyone was predicting for the most part didn't arrive. Teams have a lot of cap space and don't have to cut players to sign free agents. I think a lot of the cuts the were going to occur already did occur.

Once we get to the end of April the free agents left on the market are going to really drop their asking prices. No one is going to want to go into the draft without a team. What that means for the Ravens is filling that FS spot with a guy currently on the market and there aren't that many of them out there.

Tons of players have switched from CB to FS. Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, Antrel Rolle, Charles Woodson etc... It's not like a good CB has never done this and it's a crazy idea. Rod Woodson even did it coming off of the same injury that Webb suffered and that was before treatment was at the level that it's at now. It's all going to come down to who the Ravens have on the roster near training camp. I don't think this is a likely move for Webb but it's absolutely possible.

There are definitely reasons for not moving Webb to FS, but it drives me nuts when people bring up his contract (which was signed before he blew out his 2nd knee).

A. Players' salaries should never stop the Ravens from putting the best possible 11 guys out on the field at any given time.

B. How will people feel about his contract when he blows out a knee for the third time? Will he then be making too much money to be sitting on IR for the season? You betcha...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I should've left it at Ricky Fucking Proehl...

The money matters
    No i dont think it does, hes going to get paid the same amount this year if he plays zero snaps or every snap,

The idea is if we need webb to play safety THIS year... so how does the money matter please explain it?

Money in this specific case is completely irrelevant; the only thing that matters is IF he is capable of being a starting Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    Players' salaries should never stop the Ravens from putting the best possible 11 guys out on the field at any given time....
    In the short term, I agree. In the bigger picture, it's problematic.