Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I swear I'm in the movie Groundhog Day sometimes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great movie, but bad for us when you're relating to it on a forum haha

Re: Lardarius Webb at Free Safety??

I can't believe this thread is onto four pages, and I'm adding to it.

Look at it this way: let's say tomorrow the Ravens release Lardarius Webb. How long do you think he would sit on the FA market? And do you think the team that signed him would sign him to be one of their starting CB's (and pay him accordingly) or sign him to play FS?

Dude is a CB. Could he maybe make that end-of-career switch and milk a couple years out of playing FS when he's 34. MAYBE. But he's 29, and he's a CB, and a damn good one.

It's much easier to find a FS. It's also much easier to compensate schematically for a below-average FS than a below-average CB. That's why they make less.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I can't believe this thread is onto four pages, and I'm adding to it.

Look at it this way: let's say tomorrow the Ravens release Lardarius Webb. How long do you think he would sit on the FA market? And do you think the team that signed him would sign him to be one of their starting CB's (and pay him accordingly) or sign him to play FS?

Dude is a CB. Could he maybe make that end-of-career switch and milk a couple years out of playing FS when he's 34. MAYBE. But he's 29, and he's a CB, and a damn good one.

It's much easier to find a FS. It's also much easier to compensate schematically for a below-average FS than a below-average CB. That's why they make less.
    Hes not that good anymore hes knees have killed him. I just dont understand why ppl would be opposed for him to play safety for one year until we draft or find a real safety (IF there are no other options) His salary would have no baring on a one year at safety.

The comments about his salary are what make no sense, he would be a stop gap until we found a real S. if you dont think he can play S, than thats a totally different argument.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

It is easier and cheaper to sign/draft a FS than it is to replace a guy like Webb who is one of our starting CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    In the short term, I agree. In the bigger picture, it's problematic.
    I would (of course) be thrilled if he returned to his stellar CB play of 2011, but I have my doubts that he is even physically capable of that. If he doesn't, his contract is problematic no matter where he's lining up on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    I would (of course) be thrilled if he returned to his stellar CB play of 2011, but I have my doubts that he is even physically capable of that. If he doesn't, his contract is problematic no matter where he's lining up on the field.
    This is exactly where I'm at with this thing. Webb has not YET returned to the PB corner he was prior to the knee injury. could he this year? Maybe, maybe not. They used him mostly covering the slot receiver last year. Your best corners are always on the outside covering the speed receivers. So in a sense, he was overpaid last year and I heard no one bitching about it then. Again, his next contract will be in accordance to his skills, position, age, etc. But for now if he fills a need at FS I don't think it would be a stupid idea, regardless of his current salary.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    This is exactly where I'm at with this thing. Webb has not YET returned to the PB corner he was prior to the knee injury. could he this year? Maybe, maybe not. They used him mostly covering the slot receiver last year. Your best corners are always on the outside covering the speed receivers. So in a sense, he was overpaid last year and I heard no one bitching about it then. Again, his next contract will be in accordance to his skills, position, age, etc. But for now if he fills a need at FS I don't think it would be a stupid idea, regardless of his current salary.
    but around here it doesnt matter, the salary is just toooooo much to have him go from playing nickel b.c he cant play against #1 or #2 WR..... so clearly we would rather pay him to stay at corner and only play 65% of snaps vs 100% at Safety

his ability to play safety is completely irrelevant around here, all that matters is salary, allegedly

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    but around here it doesnt matter, the salary is just toooooo much to have him go from playing nickel b.c he cant play against #1 or #2 WR..... so clearly we would rather pay him to stay at corner and only play 65% of snaps vs 100% at Safety

his ability to play safety is completely irrelevant around here, all that matters is salary, allegedly
    Well, there's a hyperbolic misrepresentation of what most posters are saying.:grbac:

Considering there's more than one post in this thread that talks about reasons other than salary, the point of this post escapes me.

Or did you simply not read those posts?

Webb is better suited for corner. He doesnt have the size to cover TE's or help out in run support. I could see if he wasnt doing well at CB but hes already a good CB so why switch? And what makes people just assume he would be a good safety? I think he would be an average safety, at best.

Hes not that good anymore hes knees have killed him. I just dont understand why ppl would be opposed for him to play safety for one year until we draft or find a real safety (IF there are no other options) His salary would have no baring on a one year at safety.

The comments about his salary are what make no sense, he would be a stop gap until we found a real S. if you dont think he can play S, than thats a totally different argument.
    On what do you base the idea that he's not that good anymore? The fact that he LED THE FREAKING NFL IN PASSES DEFENSED?
    Maybe it's that this site has him as the TENTH BEST CB IN FOOTBALL?
    Or this site that has him AT NUMBER ELEVEN?

Not only is he not "not that good anymore", he's actually one of the better CBs in football. Or does anybody on this board have any facts to support the notion that he is not a good CB? Why don't we move Joe Flacco to TE? We need one of those, and it's just about as nonsensical.
    "Chin up, chest out."