Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Big Ben and Flacco: Through year 6

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    His first SB he went 9/23 and had a 20 QB rating...
    Still, if you're talking about pure success then Ben should have the edge IMO regardless of stats.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravens47 View Post
    Still, if you're talking about pure success then Ben should have the edge IMO regardless of stats.
    Sure. 2 SBs is 2 SBs.

Ouch. Not as close as I thought.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Ouch. Not as close as I thought.
    That is Bens entire career vs Flaccos entire career.

Youd have to adjust for first 6 years. That would be 17 Ben, 12 Flacco,

Of course 4QCs are a jaded stat IMO, because by nature your team was losing in the 4th quarter.

Ben has 2 SB's, Flacco has 1 and your saying that if winning is the true test shouldn't Ben have the advantage because of his 2 super bowls?
    No,BR has the advantage in the post season with 2 SB wins. But Flacco has more wins in regular season according to those stats. Not to piss anyone off, but the steeler defense helped BR win in regular and post season, by being so dominant in critical situations. Steeler don't beat Warner without Harrison's pick 6. That defense would turn on at the right time and stop a drive or get a turnover to help BR get the win. Ravens defense, not so much. If anything, they died in the 4th Qtr to give up a lead and lose. Br stats aren't that great, but Flacco has not been worthy of being consistent either.

Blog Entries

this is just bait for the Flacco haters...

but clearly he matches up quite well despite playing in an offense that wasnt made to be a huge stat setter. They relied on a few big plays with AC and letting the defense win. I guess you could say the same about Ben and the Steelers but I dont think there was another QB the last 6 years that had to do more with less than Flacco. The fact that he compares at all if kind of interesting, but to me its a no brainer that Flacco is a better pure QB. BR beats him at intangibles but even than its close. What makes BR good is what also causes him to miss games so I almost take that as a negative.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Someone should do the same thing with Eli Manning. Eli and Ben and the QBs that Flacco is usually compared to. We can see how close it's been with Ben. Same for Eli? I know Eli didn't start as quickly as a rookie as Flacco or Ben so his numbers might be behind somewhat but it would be interesting to see how close they are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Someone should do the same thing with Eli Manning. Eli and Ben and the QBs that Flacco is usually compared to. We can see how close it's been with Ben. Same for Eli? I know Eli didn't start as quickly as a rookie as Flacco or Ben so his numbers might be behind somewhat but it would be interesting to see how close they are.
    Eli has one of the worst INT rates in the league, consistently throughout his career. The 22 INTs by Flacco this year was a statistical anomaly compared to his prior years. Eli threw 27 INTs last year, but had also thrown 20+ INTs a few other times. The simililarity between the two is both rely heavily on the deep ball as part of their offense. Hence both have lower completion percentages than most, with Eli being even lower than flacco overall.

Appreciate the breakdown, I didn't expect the numbers to be that close. However, I think the numbers are a bit misleading. Big Ben has a knack for the late heroics and that is seen with the breakdown of the "come backs stats". Joe has certainly had his moments, and the run last year in the postseason was legendary, I just hope that wasn't a once in a lifetime run for Joe ( I don't think it is). But overall I think most people would put Ben ahead of Joe. The "talking heads" that we all love, always seem to put Ben right below the "elite" (I hate that word) guys. As much as I hate Big Ben, he does get my respect for his toughness and I'm always nervous when he has the ball late in the game. Anyhow, I will take Joe and here is hoping that he will on fire next year with a healthy set of weapons.

Blog Entries

as pointed out prior, to have "comeback" wins and late game heroics means your team was losing and having such a strong defense, more often than not the reason for that is failing as an offense prior to the 4th. I dont see that as a very meaningful stat eventhough Joe himself has plenty of those types of wins.

That perceived advantage as well as his intangibles as far as elusiveness to extend plays are really the only thing that he excels at more than Flacco, imo. Flacco has a better arm and is more accurate (though comp % wont support that). Reading defenses I think they were and still are very similar. BR may actually be a little worse at holding onto the ball too long, but his ability to escape comes into play at that point and masks his fault in that area.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    His first SB he went 9/23 and had a 20 QB rating...
    So?

The Steelers won that game.

Against the Patriots during the playoffs a few years ago, Flacco had about the same and the Ravens won.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I think the key thing to point out here is for how similar things are between them, Ben is routinely put in the upper echelon of QB's while many talking heads continually deride Joe. They're both franchise QBs, IMO, and I think any franchise would be happy to have either of them as their QB.

There's that Baltimore chip on my shoulder again, lol.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...