Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: I honestly think the Ravens should double-dip at WR this year

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    height weight speed frame. all quite similar.
    That's a problem? It's no like either guy is small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I'm sure Joe Flacco would love to have a Torrey on each side.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That's a problem? It's no like either guy is small.

I am just saying he is slightly redundant to what we have,and there is a benefit in having a more diversified WR corp.

If we pick Beckham I have no issue. But we might look like Pitt when they had Brown/Sanders/Wheaton. Who are all similar WRs.

Blog Entries

Honestly, I think Jacoby is going to be more of a pure returner this year. His route running still isn't up to par with Kubiak's system, even though it has improved a little since he arrived here. More importantly, he still doesn't catch the ball with his hands enough. Torrey Smith has even improved as a hands catcher. The catch Jones made in Detroit on third down in the fourth, is one of the few I've seen him make with his hands. You're not going to have Both Smiths, Brown and potentially Mike Evans out there catching with their hands while Jacoby is not.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I am just saying he is slightly redundant to what we have,and there is a benefit in having a more diversified WR corp.

If we pick Beckham I have no issue. But we might look like Pitt when they had Brown/Sanders/Wheaton. Who are all similar WRs.
    Eh...all those guys are under 6 ft...but they still had a pretty good passing game once their OL played better and Jen wasn't getting hit every other play.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

6. Re: I honestly think the Ravens should double-dip at WR this year

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Honestly, I think Jacoby is going to be more of a pure returner this year. His route running still isn't up to par with Kubiak's system, even though it has improved a little since he arrived here. More importantly, he still doesn't catch the ball with his hands enough. Torrey Smith has even improved as a hands catcher. The catch Jones made in Detroit on third down in the fourth, is one of the few I've seen him make with his hands. You're not going to have Both Smiths, Brown and potentially Mike Evans out there catching with their hands while Jacoby is not.
    JJ is absolutely solid third WR and possibly a great 4th. He made huge strides last year catching the ball away from his body. He snagged a difficult floater from joe over Ed Reed on the Jets game remember? We were actually fortunate he got hurt, had he been healthy to start the season I think JJ prices himself out of the realm of reason for Baltimore.

He's definitely not a starter, but I expect JJ to be better in camp that any WR we draft, including Evans should he fall.

-L.

I like Beckham but he seems a little redundant to Torrey/jacoby.
    Jacoby's 30 this year. He can't be returning kicks forever. Beckham Jr. would be able to come in and fill the need for a returner while competently playing WR.

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    My only problem is if this happens we'd have:
    - Smith
    - Smith
    - Brown
    - Jacoby
    (locked in as the top 4) then:
    - Mellette
    - Thompson

I know we're adding a receiver so drop Thompson off that list and add the rookie. There's the 6 we're carrying. You add another one and then you're dropping Mellette who I think has promise, but needed a year off.
    Or alternatively the Ravens drop from another position and carry 7 WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They could definitely double-dip at receiver, but it is likely one of those receivers is actually a TE.
    I think this is the most possible scenario. The Ravens have needs in a variety of areas and only four picks with which to trade around. The four compensatory picks are the kind where they have to wait for a player to come to them. They will probably pick one WR, and if they get an additional WR from the college ranks it will be a UDFA - a guy like Devin Street (Pittsburgh), reuniting with his college receivers coach (Bobby Engram).

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I think this is the most possible scenario. The Ravens have needs in a variety of areas and only four picks with which to trade around. The four compensatory picks are the kind where they have to wait for a player to come to them. They will probably pick one WR, and if they get an additional WR from the college ranks it will be a UDFA - a guy like Devin Street (Pittsburgh), reuniting with his college receivers coach (Bobby Engram).

To me the big needs to address in the draft are Right Tackle, WR, a Blocking Tight End (and even that can be addressed in FA, Billy Bajema's still out there), a spare RB, and a FS to groom behind a veteran.

1st Round: Odell Beckham Jr.
    2nd Round: Antonio Richardson
    3rd Round: Donte Moncrief
    4th Round Comp: Arthur Lynch (good receiver, is the blocking TE the Ravens need)
    5th Round Comp: Marqueston Huff FS
    6th Round:Storm Johnson

I think the only way they double dip is if they plan on putting a late WR pick on IR.

Or if they don't like how Mellette looks in "voluntary" workouts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They could definitely double-dip at receiver, but it is likely one of those receivers is actually a TE.
    I agree. I'd love for Evans to drop to us @ #17 (wishful thinking?), then use our 2nd or 3rd on TE, but not double-dipping @ WR... Bc