Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: I honestly think the Ravens should double-dip at WR this year

I'd be shocked if the first 2 rounds are WRs. Ozzie never forgets defense. With Art Jones gone and Haloti possibly gone next year I can see a DL pick early.

I read that we were present at Ole Miss's pro day to evaluate Moncrief. Greg Cosell, for what it's worth, really likes this kid. He's someone to keep an eye on as the draft process unfolds.

Blog Entries

I wanted them not to bring Jacoby back and double dip, assuming some kind of vet WR was brought in. Now that they did that nad brought Jacoby back theres little chance they double dip. Theyll give Mellette a chance becasue if they do double dip, its pretty much waiving him goodbye.

I will say that if we did double dip, it would bring in somebody more talented than mellette more than likely. He was a late rounder in a much weaker draft. so maybe the Front Office views him as replaceable and they still do it for the good of the team long term but i dont think that matches with their MO about giving guys chances.
    -JAB

If they liked Beckham, or any of the other non-Watkins/Evans receivers, enough to draft them at 17 I don't think they would have signed Steve Smith. My guess is they're focused on OL/TE, which are both *must have* priorities, with the first 1-2 round picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    If they liked Beckham, or any of the other non-Watkins/Evans receivers, enough to draft them at 17 I don't think they would have signed Steve Smith. My guess is they're focused on OL/TE, which are both *must have* priorities, with the first 1-2 round picks.
    Steve Smith is 50/50 to be on the roster in 2015. Very few Wide Receivers make an impact as rookies. By the time a WR drafted in 2014 is ready Smith will be was down on the depth chart or off the team.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Steve Smith is 50/50 to be on the roster in 2015. Very few Wide Receivers make an impact as rookies. By the time a WR drafted in 2014 is ready Smith will be was down on the depth chart or off the team.
    First round picks aren't going to be on the inactive list, though, so even that would give you four every game receivers in addition to Smith/Mellette. I'm just saying I think they signed Smith as a stopgap at that position, and are likely looking for an OT, safety, or Ebron with that first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I read that we were present at Ole Miss's pro day to evaluate Moncrief. Greg Cosell, for what it's worth, really likes this kid. He's someone to keep an eye on as the draft process unfolds.
    I hope they were impressed with him.
    I think he is the second coming of Boldin, except faster, stronger, younger, and bigger.
    They questioned his speed until he ran a 4.4 at the combine.
    On tape, he has not been caught from behind and with him doing a broad jump of 11', he has a burst and is explosive.
    I think he IS THE guy to go over the middle, help move the chains and take the pressure off of Pitta and whoever else is at TE....which I hope is Amaro.
    Amaro at 6'5' 265 and great hands with over 100 catches and over 1300 yards last season would be a great pairing with Pitta.

There's the two receivers to get.
    The only question in my mind is, if we can trade back a little to grab another pick in the second so that we get those 2 receivers and one for the Oline. Marcus Martin at center or Morgan Moses at RT.

To nab a WR "early" in the Draft then we will take one at #17 or trade down with someone like CAR or SF.
    I think the top two tiers* of WRs could be wiped clean before #47 as I see 8-10 teams between #18 and #46 that could take a WR.

1. Beckham
    2. Benjamin (some think he's special, I strongly disagree, but I'll put him here anyway)
    3. Cooks
    4. Landry
    5. Lee
    6. Matthews
    7. Moncrief
    8. Robinson

That leaves us with only Richardson (another guy that I think is overvalued), Adams (explosive, but no special WR skills IMO; all upside) and Herron (who I think can be a player).
    While I have liked Herron since my summer viewing, I think that passing up on the talent above would be a grave mistake.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    TE class is not very good this year... the biggest Upside being Ebron, which also has Dickson 2.o possibilities. I go O line, defense picks one and two

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    TE class is not very good this year... the biggest Upside being Ebron, which also has Dickson 2.o possibilities. I go O line, defense picks one and two
    There are certainly some good TE prospects, but outside of Ebron, I wouldn't touch any of them before round-2.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    To nab a WR "early" in the Draft then we will take one at #17 or trade down with someone like CAR or SF.
    I think the top two tiers* of WRs could be wiped clean before #47 as I see 8-10 teams between #18 and #46 that could take a WR.

1. Beckham
    2. Benjamin (some think he's special, I strongly disagree, but I'll put him here anyway)
    3. Cooks
    4. Landry
    5. Lee
    6. Matthews
    7. Moncrief
    8. Robinson

That leaves us with only Richardson (another guy that I think is overvalued), Adams (explosive, but no special WR skills IMO; all upside) and Herron (who I think can be a player).
    While I have liked Herron since my summer viewing, I think that passing up on the talent above would be a grave mistake.
    I kinda agree with you.

The last draft class that was similar to this one was the 2004 draft class...that class had guys like Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans etc... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_Draft

I remember we were very desperate for a WR that year and it was the year after we gave up our #1 pick for Boller so our first pick was #51.

It was such a deep draft, I thought we'd have a shot at a really good WR...but in fact, they were virtually ALL wiped out by our pick...7 guys went in the first round (the majority of them were busts and the last 2 Rashaun Woods and Micheal Jenkins were obvious reaches IMHO in the first round) and I remember the last guy I wanted was picked right before us at 50 (Devery Henderson). I first started thinking we were going to be screwed when teams started reaching...Lee Evans was thought of as a 20-25 pick, but went 13th, Mike Clayton was originally thought of as a late first but went 15th. And then the reaches with Woods and Jenkins.

We wound up with Dwan Edwards and the WR we picked was Devard Darling.

So I can definitely see a scenario where the top 10 receivers are all gone by 48 and we'd have to move onto the next tier of guys.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    There are certainly some good TE prospects, but outside of Ebron, I wouldn't touch any of them before round-2.
    What about dropping down in the 1st round, getting an extra second round pick and grabbing Amaro nearer the bottom of the first?
    Pairing him with Pitta could really help Kubiak run his double tightend offense and grab an Olineman with their very next pick.