Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

I honestly think the Ravens should double-dip at WR this year

And I'm not saying this because I want the Ravens to turn into some offense that generates "Star Wars numbers" to put it in the in-eloquent terms of Jim Irsay. There's boobs actual reasons behind this.

The 1st being that I'm leery on Zach Martin at 17. I'm tired of the Ravens drafting "versatile" linemen and would rather them take the pure OT in Antonio Richardson.

As for Safety I'm not impressed with any of the safeties there and it would be dangerous to have a rookie start at free safety.

MLB, they could take Mosley, but it's a long shot seeing as they haven't drafted an MLB in the 1st since Ray Lewis and with Daryl Smith coming back it gets bumped down a bit.

The 2nd being that the Ravens have spent a PATHETICALLY low amount of meaningful draft picks at the position.

In the history of the Ravens they've spent 6 draft picks at WR in the 1st three rounds and only 1 of those has been during the time Flacco's been here. Flacco's not Tom Brady who can take WRs that are #3 and #4 options on regular offenses and turn them into studs. The Ravens actually need to invest at WR.

So here's what I think the Ravens should do on draft day at WR.

1st round: Odell Beckham Jr.

Beckham is a good route-runner, good at catching with hands, and is dangerous with the ball. Also he can serve at return man which is good if Jacoby is injured or if Asa turns out to be a good nickel corner and the Ravens don't want him injured.

3rd round: Donte Moncrief

He doesn't have the elite speed that Beckham possesses but between Torrey,Jacoby,and Beckham the Ravens would have enough speed at WR. What Moncrief offers is a 6'3" frame, good explosiveness, solid hands, developed route-running, and the body to make the dazzling grab (not Dickson's dazzling grabs, Boldin's dazzling grabs) and he's tough as a downfield blocker.

The reason I have the Ravens taking Moncrief in the 3rd as opposed to Davante Adams in the 2nd is because I believe that they should take Antonio Richardson in the 2nd he's the better pure prospect at RT.

If there's a reason the Ravens shouldn't take 2 receivers in the draft, feel free to post it, but I really believe that the Ravens should try to put target around their $120 million quarterback that aren't aging FA's and mid-late round draft picks/ UDFA's.

Re: I honestly think the Ravens should double-dip at WR this year

My only problem is if this happens we'd have:
    - Smith
    - Smith
    - Brown
    - Jacoby
    (locked in as the top 4) then:
    - Mellette
    - Thompson

I know we're adding a receiver so drop Thompson off that list and add the rookie. There's the 6 we're carrying. You add another one and then you're dropping Mellette who I think has promise, but needed a year off.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

I think we should but I don't think it will happen. My guess is we take a receiver in the 1st round, offensive tackle in the 2nd round and taking the best available defensive player in the 3rd round.

Blog Entries

I expect them to bring in plenty of competition both through draft and UDFA. But there are only so many open spots and they just signed a 35 year old...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Anything with Beckham jr makes me happy.

But right now I can't see how our pick isnt martin or unfortunately dix. I don't rate dix highly but I have a horrible thought we will take him at 17. I hope the rams tske him at 13 or the cowboys before us.

Pretty certain Ravens are going D in Round 1, but it depends on who drops.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Double-dipping at WR is fine for me, as long as one of those wideouts is Jordan Matthews.

Blog Entries

They could definitely double-dip at receiver, but it is likely one of those receivers is actually a TE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I like Beckham but he seems a little redundant to Torrey/jacoby.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I like Beckham but he seems a little redundant to Torrey/jacoby.
    There's a chance Torrey isn't even here next year.

I also don't understand the idea that every guy that's fast is redundant. You can be fast...and run all of the routes including going over the middle, make tough catches and be physical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

There's definitely going to be a numbers crunch at WR and/or TE. No matter how you slice it. The chance of them drafting one player at both positions is great. Let's say Owen Daniels does come here at some point. You'd then have Pitta, Daniels, Draft Pick and Furstenburg battling for what could be three spots.

If Mike Evans comes anywhere near pick 17, you have to take him. With that position being so deep this year, it's not hard to imagine another WR being the BPA in another round when the Ravens pick. Jordan Matthews could be that guy in the second round even.

They are either going to have to carry 4 TEs or 7 WRs. I don't really see a way around it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    There's a chance Torrey isn't even here next year.

I also don't understand the idea that every guy that's fast is redundant. You can be fast...and run all of the routes including going over the middle, make tough catches and be physical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    height weight speed frame. all quite similar.