Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: I honestly think the Ravens should double-dip at WR this year

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    What about dropping down in the 1st round, getting an extra second round pick and grabbing Amaro nearer the bottom of the first?
    Pairing him with Pitta could really help Kubiak run his double tightend offense and grab an Olineman with their very next pick.
    I don't particularly care for Amaro, but I am always a proponent of trading down if the guy they covet isn't there at 17 or will likely be there after trading down.

Say they really want Brandin Cooks...he could go anywhere from pick 18-32, but I doubt he goes in the top-15. The Ravens could definitely trade down and look at someone like Cooks, Beckham, or even Lee.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

With re-siging Jones and bringing in Smith, seems highly unlikely the Ravens double dip, especially being out later rounds picks from the Monroe trade.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    First round picks aren't going to be on the inactive list, though, so even that would give you four every game receivers in addition to Smith/Mellette. I'm just saying I think they signed Smith as a stopgap at that position, and are likely looking for an OT, safety, or Ebron with that first pick.
    A 1st round pick won't be inactive but Mellette might. Mellette might not even make the team. Same with Thompson and others. Injuries are also an issue. Who knows what receiver is going to miss time? Ozzie isn't going to cross 1st round WR off the list because he signed a 35 year old Steve Smith and a 32 year old Jacoby Jones. If the best player there in round 1 is a WR he's going to take him. Same with pretty much every position short of QB and kickers.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    To nab a WR "early" in the Draft then we will take one at #17 or trade down with someone like CAR or SF.
    I think Green Bay drafts at 21. If Ebron is on the board at 17, you can bet that Green Bay will be on the phone, as they have a TE need. That could be the Ravens' trading partner.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I read that we were present at Ole Miss's pro day to evaluate Moncrief. Greg Cosell, for what it's worth, really likes this kid. He's someone to keep an eye on as the draft process unfolds.
    I wish Donte Moncrief wasn't getting so much attention. I've been pimping this guy for a while and think he has a big upside as a 3rd rounder. Unfortunately, I think with his combine numbers he's going to be gone before the first 80 picks. If the Ravens want him, it's a 2nd round pick or a trade up into the early 3rd. If fact, I agree with the thought that the good WRs are gone by the time the 2nd round is over.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    TE class is not very good this year... the biggest Upside being Ebron, which also has Dickson 2.o possibilities. I go O line, defense picks one and two
    Comparing Ebron to Dickson is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    A 1st round pick won't be inactive but Mellette might. Mellette might not even make the team. Same with Thompson and others. Injuries are also an issue. Who knows what receiver is going to miss time? Ozzie isn't going to cross 1st round WR off the list because he signed a 35 year old Steve Smith and a 32 year old Jacoby Jones. If the best player there in round 1 is a WR he's going to take him. Same with pretty much every position short of QB and kickers.
    "Best player available" is just a catchphrase they use. In reality, people get graded out and, in the early rounds, you're picking for a mix of BPA and the needs of your roster.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I think Green Bay drafts at 21. If Ebron is on the board at 17, you can bet that Green Bay will be on the phone, as they have a TE need. That could be the Ravens' trading partner.
    I'd rather see them just take Ebron. For the life of me I don't get why everyone is so obsessed with getting a WR not named Mike Evans.

Comparing Ebron to Dickson is ridiculous.
    I agree.

Jermaine Gresham is a better comparison.

I'd rather see them just take Ebron. For the life of me I don't get why everyone is so obsessed with getting a WR not named Mike Evans.
    I would agree with this. Ebron IMO is getting overlooked... the dude is more athletic than a lot of the WRs who are getting 1st round love right now despite being a legit option as an in-line TE. I watched a lot of his tape again last night and I strongly feel that with solid coaching he could play in-line TE at a high level very quickly in the NFL. He is physical and strong in the blocking game, not necessarily as a point-of-attack blocker, but very capable of doing the kind of slide/trap/on-the-move blocking Kubiak asks his TEs to do.

I'm not saying we don't need a WR and I'm sure we'll add one at some point, but the Ravens just need pass-catchers generally. Doesn't make a huge difference if 2 of your top 3 passing-game playmakers are TEs especially since Kubiak's offense does not use 3 WRs sets, preferring 2 TE sets even on passing downs.

I like an offensive lineup of T. Smith-Pitta-Ebron-S. Smith with a Jarvis Landry (3rd), Robert Herron (3rd-4th) or Jared Abbrederis (4th) being developed to succeed Steve Smith in a year or two. In round 2 grab best available OL or FS. Use the remaining rounds to add depth and developmental guys as usual, and then patch any remaining holes in post-draft FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    I agree.

Jermaine Gresham is a better comparison.
    Ebron is far more athletic than Gresham was. Gresham was a traditional in-line TE prospect. Ebron has the speed and athleticism of a WR in a 6'4 250lbs body. Vernon Davis is the better comparison, although Ebron isn't quite the freak Davis was, at least not in shorts.

Blog Entries

we need to finish addressing the Oline, we are not set at WR by any means I hope we draft one or two myself but we need to sure up this Oline and give Joe a chance to find his targets without that it don't even matter if we have Jerry Rice in his prime.
    Last edited by Jsmoove; 03-19-2014 at 11:30 AM.