Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Doss to the Jags

What I'm reading seems to point to this being much more a move to shore up the Jags' PR situation than to bolster WR. They had one of the league's worst punt return units last year and Doss is a big upgrade as a returner. I doubt he sees the field at WR although Jacksonville has one of the league's worst receiver corps.

Blog Entries

I think he definitely sees time at WR. Hes still young and a new start should get him on the right track. I think if the system is a fit hell do just fine. Packers, steelers and giants were all interested in him. He picked the Jags im sure because of the opportunity to be a WR.
    -JAB

As long as he can deal with London weather I think he will be good for them.
    Captain Offense

Though he had his moments, he never quite caught on here. I'm actually curious to see if he can thrive away from Baltimore. If he does, it'll be yet another WR we didn't develop right (for whatever reason). If he doesn't, well, that's why we're winners--we give people chances (see: Kindle, Sergio) but we cut bait when we have to.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him have moderate success there. I think he has the tools, just he seemed to lack the work ethic and focus.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Though he had his moments, he never quite caught on here. I'm actually curious to see if he can thrive away from Baltimore. If he does, it'll be yet another WR we didn't develop right (for whatever reason). If he doesn't, well, that's why we're winners--we give people chances (see: Kindle, Sergio) but we cut bait when we have to.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him have moderate success there. I think he has the tools, just he seemed to lack the work ethic and focus.
    Has there been a single WR who left here and "developed" somewhere else? I can't think of a single WR who left after being here 2-3 years and was even in the league 2 years later.

I think they just missed on him as a player.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

He never quite caught the ball here. I remember a ball going thru his hands and hitting him in the face but best of luck to him. A good guy and solid citizen. He broke up a knife fight in 5 Guys once. An employee who was fired pulled it on his boss or ex boss and Doss used his size to take it away from him and throw him down til the cops came. Quite different from all these other Ravens getting arrested.

Here's a story you might not know. Flacco was the one who picked Doss in the draft. DeCosta told us the story how he gave Joe some tapes to watch of 2d tier receivers they were interest in. They wanted Joe's professional input on it since he would be the one throwing to him.

Joe got the tapes and picked Doss because he was a big target. His collegiate career wasn't that bad and he didn't have the drops that he had in the pros, I think. Maybe joe threw the ball too hard for him, not sure but one could say that Joe drafted Doss. He sure wanted him but I never heard any more stories of Joe having input in the draft-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-18-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Blog Entries

glad we didn't bring him back.

Always forgave Ed Dickson because he came up big in the Superbowl...
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Getting cut at the start of the season and then not being tendered at the end might give him pause and he will sharpen his focus in a new environment. It was too little, too late in Baltimore.
    Doss admitted as much when he was brought back after Jacoby was Trawicked.
    And Doss did appear different, more focused.
    He never really got WR opportunity because Marlon was making some waves.
    Not tendered might make him hungrier, but if nothing else Jax gets a nice returner.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

:grbac: is all I can muster right now
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Has there been a single WR who left here and "developed" somewhere else? I can't think of a single WR who left after being here 2-3 years and was even in the league 2 years later.

I think they just missed on him as a player.
    Haha, I agree completely. We're terrible at evaluating wide receiver talent. It's the opposite on defense, where average people look stellar solely because they're in Baltimore.

It's amazing the success we've had as a franchise after going through long deserts with no oasis in sight w/ the likes of Qadry, Travis Taylor, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    :grbac: is all I can muster right now
    You're really that upset Tandon Doss won't be back?