Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: State of the Terps Hoops Program

I heard that Miller was set to come to MD but MD would not allow as many academic exceptions as Miller wanted, which ended up being the deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    I heard that Miller was set to come to MD but MD would not allow as many academic exceptions as Miller wanted, which ended up being the deal breaker.
    That is certainly part of it...but the entire way the meeting was set up and the entirety of the impressions/Anderson's unwillingness to budge on not just that, but other issues as well was the downfall. FWIW, I understand and agree to a certain extent on Anderson's stance on some of the issues that were brought up...but I don't think he helped himself with his presentation.

I remember that night Anderson flew to Vegas to meet with Miller...it was as sure a slam dunk as I think we'd all imagine without a signature...even Arizona was preparing for a replacement search.

Just such a kick in the gut...especially after the Leach fiasco.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I know I am in the super minority here but I am glad Leach was bypassed.

Can't get into the specifics, but my wife worked for a law firm at the time Craig James was suing Leach. Her firm represented Leach. I am glad he's far away from my alma mater.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I know I am in the super minority here but I am glad Leach was bypassed.

Can't get into the specifics, but my wife worked for a law firm at the time Craig James was suing Leach. Her firm represented Leach. I am glad he's far away from my alma mater.
    There were a lot of other people (especially the board) that feel the same way and it's why he's not here.

It's a matter of...do you want to put up with him? He's one of the most "different", egocentric and bizarre people you'd ever meet...but he wins games and his kids graduate.

We passed....right or wrong.

I would take him, but again, I wouldn't have to deal with him personally so that removes a lot of hesitation from my point of view. He would be a pain in the AD's ass though...no doubt.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I agree with the others (not much to agree with, it's pretty much fact) that Debbie Yow screwed the program and the university. She's the reason Maryland NEEDS to move to the Big Ten. If not for her I think Gary Williams might still be coaching, he at least would have stayed a little longer than he did.

However, I don't think all the Basketball current problems are to be blamed all on Turgeon. Maryland hasn't been able to recruit well for years. For years and years they've seem to go after second tier guys or at least the guys who have no shot of being one and done. While I like a team built on seniors and 2 or 3 years starters, you're not winning with out a few top tire players.

If they've gone after the top tier guys, they've not been able to bring them here (obviously). My main complainant is not being able to keep home town talent. Carmelo Anthony, Michael Beasley, Ty Lawson, Kevin Durant every guy that goes to Georgetown or the entire team that led George Washington to the final four in 06 ( I think) all MD guys that Maryland didn't go after or keep.

Is Turgeon a problem, yes. Is it his coaching, a little. But I think it's more of recruiting, He has a Point guard who is more of a Shooting guard and the rest of the team are a bunch of 2 guards. His best player is a transfer from a former A-10 conference team. I like the looks of the incoming class, so I say give him another year -ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Terp387 View Post
    I'm crying foul here. First of all, while relative dissapointments, Shaq Cleare couldn't hold either NCM or Mike Jones' (who?) jock strap. And at no point during Gary's tenure did I think his coaching was as poor as Turgs' save for MAYBE the tail end of Jordan William's sophomore year. Certainly not the year before. Gary was great at maximizing his talent, but he WAS a poor recruiter....if mostly by design. Turg has the opposite problem. Which I actually find more frustrating. I honestly believe the '07 squad was the most disappointing team Gary had, it was loaded. D.J. Strawberry, Mike Jones, James Gist, Ekene Ebekwe, Boom, Greivis Vasquez, Eric Hayes, and Landon Milborne. That's 3 NBA draft picks, including a First Rounder, and 4 more Euro-Ballers.....honestly that the last time Maryland REALLY had the horses... STILL think that team beats Florida if they handle Butler in the 4/5. That was upsetting... But other than that all of Gary's late squads OVER achieved based on their roster talent. Remember that year we had Dave Freaking Neal as our starting center? Yea will that team was awful and still better than the sorry lot Turgeon just marched out.

-L.
    I think we're agreeing. My point is that Gary was a great coach and generally got mediocre players to overachieve but had some misses down the line where highly touted players underachieved. IIRC, Mike Jones was the number 2 SG in his graduating class behind LeBron (which made him the best shooting guard to go to college that year).

Turgeon's had some good classes...next year's is his best. To me, he struggles with coaching up big men--idk who on the staff has that responsibility but I think there's A LOT of room for improvement there.

I've thought Turgeon's classes have been pretty good, and next years is obviously very good. What I see now is a team that underachieves, plays stupid, and can't win big games. It's odd, because as others have said, Turgeon was known previously as a guy that got the max out of lesser talent, a lot like Gary did.

What's frustrating is, that this team was so close to so many big wins this year, they could have easily made the tourney with a few of those turning out better. Yes, they did get hosed in the Duke game, and probably a couple of others, but this team wasn't really far away from being pretty damn good. There is quite a bit of talent, but the lack of a true starting PG has hurt them. That's not all Turg's fault though. Injuries have played a role. And the biggest issue, was losing Alex Len. With Len, this team would be a Sweet 16 team, even with the dumb guard play.

People are correct about Yow. She was horrible, and while Anderson isn't a lot better, at least he's at least recognizing what sports need to be taken care of. Yes, firing Freidgen was a terrible thing, and not hiring Leach in the aftermath and selecting Edsall even worse, but he's not as bad as Yow.

Turgeon has a top ten -- TOP TEN!! -- class coming in next year, including a McDonald's All-American in Trimble, who should start from day one. If he can't coach this incoming class, then he has to go.

Maryland Terps have that history of being all so close , but come up short most of the time. I watched them in the 70's and it was heart breaking to see them lose at crucial times(march madness), but every now and then beat a ranked team in regular season. MD continues this tradition. SMH

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Turgeon has a top ten -- TOP TEN!! -- class coming in next year, including a McDonald's All-American in Trimble, who should start from day one. If he can't coach this incoming class, then he has to go.
    If money wasn't a factor, we'd all agree with you.

Unfortunately, money plays as big a factor as to when we can let him go as wins and losses do.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I think they've got a real shot to be pretty good. A top 10 class and SENIORS for the first time in Turgeon's time. I agree that if they don't improve significantly its time to start shopping the job around.

It just seems like some of the players have no grasp of the game and just look lost some of the time. Inconsistency is a huge problem and the players seem to just throw it up whenever they want, control may be an issue. This next season will be a huge determining factor in whether or not turgeon is still around. I think edsall kind of gets a mulligan when your starting QB gets hurt two years in a row but I think football program will struggle mightily facing the big ten