Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Re: State of the Terps Hoops Program

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Turgeon sucks but he's here for another 2 years at least due to that stupid ass contract Kevin Anderson gave him.

I never thought I'd feel better about Randy Edsall and the direction of the football program than our basketball program...and that's extremely worrying.

To think we could have had Mike Leach and Sean Miller if it weren't for Kevin bumbling Anderson. He can't close deals, is lazy and makes horrible hiring decisions.
    Or maybe James Franklin and Shaka Smart. We know what happened with Franklin and I know everyone said Shaka wouldn't come at the time but I bet if they had a sharp AD and pressed hard enough he would have jumped.

I'm not a die hard UM fan but of course I'd like to see them be good. I remember a lot of optimism when Turgeon was first hired and obviously Im disappointed in him so far but I think he brings UM back to the tourney next year. He has all his players and a lot of talent.... it is all there for him now but the pressure is red hot. If he cant get it done next year then contract or not you have to at least look at the idea of a change before you lose the fanbase and alums.

If they do want to make a switch being realistic I'd see if I could get Johnnie Dawkins. IMO Stanford is where Maryland should be right now as a program. A couple medicore years but then a NIT title and a year or so after that solidly in the NCAAs...... there has been visible gradual improvement there. Plus hes a DC area native IINM and coming from Stanford as well as Duke he knows about recruiting with academic restrictions. (Not saying UM is as strict as SU but they're up there) He'd probably come pretty cheap too FWIW.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Used to be pissed about Franklin. He should have been the MD football coach, but I'm over it. He'd be at Penn St now anyway. Most see him as a guy who is stair stepping his way to the NFL, but I bet MD wouldn't have sucked the past 2 years though. Maybe that's the plan, hire mediocrity so you know they won't leave. If true, they hit the motherload with Edsall.

If money wasn't a factor, we'd all agree with you.

Unfortunately, money plays as big a factor as to when we can let him go as wins and losses do.
    I realize Turgeon has a huge buyout considering the asinine contract Anderson handed him, but the athletic department should begin receiving serious revenue from the B1G shift in due time. If we miss the tournament next year, I think they will consider a change.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I realize Turgeon has a huge buyout considering the asinine contract Anderson handed him, but the athletic department should begin receiving serious revenue from the B1G shift in due time. If we miss the tournament next year, I think they will consider a change.
    That revenue for at least probably the first 5-6 years needs to be used to get out of the red...not add to it.

The ACC has withheld all shares to Maryland for the last 2 years as protection against Maryland not wanting to pay the outrageous $50 million exit fee. The Athletic Department by Maryland Law is required to be self sustaining...which means that they can't take money from the School itself or from the state government to assist with it's financials. They are having right now to borrow millions of dollars from the school...which will need to be paid back with interest...just to continue to field teams.

So, they have no TV money coming in from the conference, low ticket sales, no money from the naming rights of the stadium or Arena, may in fact have to pay more money to the ACC when they leave, are loosing money annually on the Byrd expansion due to the lack of suite sales, are doing a piss poor job of getting and keeping quality donors...and this is all on top of Anderson walking into a situation where he was automatically in the red when he took the job due to the fake Dr...Yao...cooking the books for the last 10 years.

Saying they need to eat another $8-10 dollars...not including the staff and the cost to get a quality replacement...firing Turge could cost the school upwards of $12-13 million.

That's not happening, even with the B1G money. The AD fucked up, and the school/fans are going to have to deal with it until the school is at least close to being fiscally healthy...firing Turge now is financially reckless.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

That revenue for at least probably the first 5-6 years needs to be used to get out of the red...not add to it.

The ACC has withheld all shares to Maryland for the last 2 years as protection against Maryland not wanting to pay the outrageous $50 million exit fee. The Athletic Department by Maryland Law is required to be self sustaining...which means that they can't take money from the School itself or from the state government to assist with it's financials. They are having right now to borrow millions of dollars from the school...which will need to be paid back with interest...just to continue to field teams.

So, they have no TV money coming in from the conference, low ticket sales, no money from the naming rights of the stadium or Arena, may in fact have to pay more money to the ACC when they leave, are loosing money annually on the Byrd expansion due to the lack of suite sales, are doing a piss poor job of getting and keeping quality donors...and this is all on top of Anderson walking into a situation where he was automatically in the red when he took the job due to the fake Dr...Yao...cooking the books for the last 10 years.

Saying they need to eat another $8-10 dollars...not including the staff and the cost to get a quality replacement...firing Turge could cost the school upwards of $12-13 million.

That's not happening, even with the B1G money. The AD fucked up, and the school/fans are going to have to deal with it until the school is at least close to being fiscally healthy...firing Turge now is financially reckless.
    Valid points. And, yes, Anderson certainly fucked up with Turgeon's asinine contract (Edsall's, too). I didn't mean to suggest the coaching change would come immediately at the end of next season, but rather perhaps within two to three years.

Valid points. And, yes, Anderson certainly fucked up with Turgeon's asinine contract (Edsall's, too). I didn't mean to suggest the coaching change would come immediately at the end of next season, but rather perhaps within two to three years.
    Who knows what happens in 2-3 years...if the ship gets turned around, why would you fire him for what happened 3-4 years prior?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Who knows what happens in 2-3 years...if the ship gets turned around, why would you fire him for what happened 3-4 years prior?
    That's a big "if" considering Turgeon has been very ineffective as a coach so far; he appears to be in over his head. But, hey, if he turns things around, great. He'll certainly have some talent to work with.

Blog Entries

That's a big "if" considering Turgeon has been very ineffective as a coach so far; he appears to be in over his head. But, hey, if he turns things around, great. He'll certainly have some talent to work with.
    I dunno, I'll give him some time. They were very close in a few games and that Virginia game was solid. In college it's so much more about talent so I'm holding out hope for next year

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

He was without Seth as well for like 12 games.

I think Seth being there for the entire season improves their record by 2 or 3 wins and maybe they are on the bubble at that point.

The problem the last 2 years is that for whatever reason, the team just starts out the gate really slow and puts itself in too big a hole to dig out of. They've played really well down the stretch the last 2 years (even if the record didn't suggest it), but they make it too hard on themselves.

Personally, I think Shaq needs to transfer out, and Faust needs to go somewhere where he can live his MJ dreams of taking ridiculous shots whenever he wants...and maybe one of these days Charles Mitchell will lose some weight so he can actually jump 5 inches off the floor.

He was without Seth as well for like 12 games.

I think Seth being there for the entire season improves their record by 2 or 3 wins and maybe they are on the bubble at that point.

The problem the last 2 years is that for whatever reason, the team just starts out the gate really slow and puts itself in too big a hole to dig out of. They've played really well down the stretch the last 2 years (even if the record didn't suggest it), but they make it too hard on themselves.

Personally, I think Shaq needs to transfer out, and Faust needs to go somewhere where he can live his MJ dreams of taking ridiculous shots whenever he wants...and maybe one of these days Charles Mitchell will lose some weight so he can actually jump 5 inches off the floor.
    Shaq transferring is a strong possibility with Trayvon Reed coming in next year. Shaq was the SECOND-HIGHEST RATED CENTER recruit in the entire country, yet he hasn't panned out. I also can envision Peters leaving with Trimble coming in and Allen being around for a couple more years. I know he was only a freshman, but Peters looked very skittish to me for most of the year. Trimble is supposed to be the real deal.

I would love if they shitcan Turgeon. I absolutely cannot stand how he throws the players under the bus, after a loss. I have never heard him take any responsibility.

Shaq transferring is a strong possibility with Trayvon Reed coming in next year. Shaq was the SECOND-HIGHEST RATED CENTER recruit in the entire country, yet he hasn't panned out. I also can envision Peters leaving with Trimble coming in and Allen being around for a couple more years. I know he was only a freshman, but Peters looked very skittish to me for most of the year. Trimble is supposed to be the real deal.
    Yeah, Shaq is a huge disappointment. I mean he really gives nothing other than someone to give 5 fouls.

I actually like Peters and think he has a bright future if he can regain his confidence...we don't have anybody that can penetrate and create for others like he can. Allen can penetrate, but more often than not, he's going up with his shot. Oh, and he needs to spend the summer shooting jumpshots...his jumper is really broken.

I don't really expect Reed to contribute much in year one, but expectations for Trimble are going to be through the roof. I think Nickens can be what we thought Layman would be (not year 1) and Wiley will be a nice complementary guy.

We'll see...guys are going to need to do work in the weightroom because the B1G is going to be a very physical wake up call IMHO.