Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Mad Dog Mike Curtis Baltimore Colt (32) to the hall of fame?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Tried it. Removed by user.
    just google Mike Curts youtube;i just watched it.

[QUOTE=AirFlacco;763920]Ah man, how could I forget Don McCauley, another good guy. Yea, Marty was a good guy who could party better than throw a football. Man, he was terrible. It was unbearable to watch the Colts after John left but we did it.[/QUOI

I just met the guy a few years ago at a Colts get together in Matins West. I didn't realize how big of a person he was. He was very nice to talk to. Bert Jones acted like a stuck up Athlete. LOL , the asshole even made a pass at my girlfriend after I took her picture with him. He was close to a confrontation but i just laughed it off, no harm done. He is a very kind of pear shaped individual. He's tall but has wide hips. It was still cool to meet him but not again.

Mike Curtis was the guy I tried to emulate as a young ballplayer. I remember his almost un-screwing Roman Gabriel's head in a game, and, obviously, the Fan smack-down.
    That being said, neither he, Bert Jones, Bubba Smith, nor any of those childhood heroes have HOF credentials.

I lived and died with those guys, like many of us on this board.

Steve Stonebreaker (great name for an LB), Tom Welch, Bobby Boyd, Lenny Lyles, Syzmansky, Sandusky, Vogel, Sam Ball, Bill Curry, Dennis Gaubatz, Don Shinnick, Lou Michaels, Billy Ray Smith......

Heroes of my childhood....but none HOF.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    Mike Curtis was the guy I tried to emulate as a young ballplayer. I remember his almost un-screwing Roman Gabriel's head in a game, and, obviously, the Fan smack-down.
    That being said, neither he, Bert Jones, Bubba Smith, nor any of those childhood heroes have HOF credentials.

I lived and died with those guys, like many of us on this board.

Steve Stonebreaker (great name for an LB), Tom Welch, Bobby Boyd, Lenny Lyles, Syzmansky, Sandusky, Vogel, Sam Ball, Bill Curry, Dennis Gaubatz, Don Shinnick, Lou Michaels, Billy Ray Smith......

Heroes of my childhood....but none HOF.
    Love them all! We were lucky to have lived in that them. Its part of your soul.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=livegonzo;764128]
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Ah man, how could I forget Don McCauley, another good guy. Yea, Marty was a good guy who could party better than throw a football. Man, he was terrible. It was unbearable to watch the Colts after John left but we did it.[/QUOI

I just met the guy a few years ago at a Colts get together in Matins West. I didn't realize how big of a person he was. He was very nice to talk to. Bert Jones acted like a stuck up Athlete. LOL , the asshole even made a pass at my girlfriend after I took her picture with him. He was close to a confrontation but i just laughed it off, no harm done. He is a very kind of pear shaped individual. He's tall but has wide hips. It was still cool to meet him but not again.
    Yea, Bert could be that way. He wore a belt buckle in the club house that said REDNECK.

Anita Marks had hime on a conference call and he was a little snotty to her and she said, I'll have you know I was a pro QB too Bert JOnes. Bert laughed his ass off and said so long. She said we're not finished here yet. Bert said, no woman but my wife tells me what to do and he hung up.

Someone mentioned Don Schinnick above. He was still around for SB 3 but ran into Ordell Brasse during practice week. They almost knocked each other out. They still suited up to play but could hardly walk.

Weeb got a wind of the accident when he got his assist, Walt Michaels, to get his brother, Lou mentioned above, some drinks to pump him for info. He did and Lou told his brother about the accident. Lou was pretty smashed when Namath walked in. He knew what was going on. Namath knew everything. As soon as Lou saw him he jumped up and rushed him. It took about 10 guys to pull him off Namath and then Namath bought a round of drinks for the house and Lou said to his brother, he isn't such a bad guy afterall.

But Weeb got his info and changed the game plan to attack the weak side - Schinnick's and Brasse's and ordered his linemen to cut block Brasse at the knees to further immobile him. He was like the statue of liberty.

Shula countered by bringing CB Lenny Lyles up. Then Namath threw over Lyles to Sauer-sp. Lou also said Lyles was sick all week with the flu. Shula then moved Curtis over the cover up and then Weeb attacked the strong side of Bubba and Volk. Boozer knocked Volk out. Namath said it was the hardest hit he ever saw.

SB 3 was like a chess match between the master and the student. I have a team pic with Shula in it as the DB under Weeb.

Bob Costas asked Shula how he got the respect of vets like Unitas when he became the young head coach of the Colts in his early 30. Shula said I was a DB when John came into the league so I already had his respect.

Yea, sure. Years after SB 3 Shula opened up his steak house here and all the old Colts living in the area attended the grand opening in a private room with Shula. Everyone was there but Unitas.

When Steadman saw him he said why didn't you go to Shula's party? John said if Shula was lying in the street bleeding to death I wouldn't go over to to help him.

That's how Unitas respected Don Shula and that's in his book:
    JOHNNY U.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-20-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Schinnick was the youth pastor of our church in Towson. There was the beautiful camp owned by the denomination down on the Severn River. We had a weekend retreat there and Schinnick showed up with Ray Berry and the place went nuts.

I was 12 yrs old and Berry had injured his knee and missed most of the season. I thought I was hot stuff walking up to him and said, how's the knee Ray? He said fine. Schnnick also led a Bible study for the kids and became a minister after his playing days. So did Joe Erhmann of the Sack Pack and he had a ministry called THE DOOR that ministered to inner city kids.

But Berry broke my heart when he went to Indy to present the Super Bowl trophy. 105.7 FM had him on during the week so he knew how upset we were but he didn't care. He had written letters to Manning about how he and John did things and Manning wrote back. Then Manning had him on the side lines during a few games. He was the only Colt other than Shula that went to Indy and that was payback to us for running him out of town-lol.

Ehrmann was also on the pastorial staff of Grace Fellowship Church. Stan White was a member there too. Ehrmann was quite a boozer and hell raiser in his younger days but his younger brother died and he was really shaken up. He turned to White for counseling and he brought him to God and got him in the Church. Joe recommended the new pastor after the old one left. They were roomies at Dallas Theological Seminar. The pastor told a lot of stories about Joe and said you should watch a football game with him. He tells you everything thats going to happen before it happens.

One time I was sitting in church and someone was talking out loud during the singing, during the announcements and the prayer but when he kept talking during the sermon I turned around and said shut up, I can't hear.

My heart dropped to the floor. It was Stan White of the Baltimore Colts and he looked like he could still put on a uniform and break me in half. Afterwards I said I'm sorry Stan, I didn't know that was you. He said I apologize, I shouldnt have been talking.

What a guy.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-20-2014 at 11:27 PM.