Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Blog Entries

Re: Ryan Clark in Purple?

The real question is for the college analyst guys, is Clinton-Dix a better FS than someone next year we would have a shot at? Names were being thrown around as far better, however given the assumption we'll be picking lower is that 2nd or 3rd best safety in next years draft better than Clinton-Dix? If the answer is no than I'm saying go ahead and take him, and go ahead and sign Clark as a mentor. I still think Brown deserves his shot so maybe their thinking Clark as a backup to Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I still think Brown deserves his shot so maybe their thinking Clark as a backup to Brown.
    Clark is going to want to start and the team for whatever reason seems to have little confidence in Brown as a regular out there on defense.

No way they are signing Clark as a backup to Omar Brown.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

My only complaint with Clark is that he can't play at altitude. If Ravens are going Bowling - it will go through Denver and Clark would no make it on the field at Mile High.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Clark is going to want to start and the team for whatever reason seems to have little confidence in Brown as a regular out there on defense.

No way they are signing Clark as a backup to Omar Brown.
    Good call. Only thing I would disagree with is the fact that they're were legit FS in FA and we didn't sniff any of them. I seriously doubt they're gonna count on a rookie and unless they have some inside intel I can't see anyone even remotely being useful being cut. As of now Brown is in that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Good call. Only thing I would disagree with is the fact that they're were legit FS in FA and we didn't sniff any of them. I seriously doubt they're gonna count on a rookie and unless they have some inside intel I can't see anyone even remotely being useful being cut. As of now Brown is in that spot.
    Am I the only one that's okay with that? As far as I've seen in Brown's experience he has stepped in, kept the play in front of him and makes plays. He's opportunistic as hell. I never understood why he didn't get more PT if we're doing the 'next man up' philosophy.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlacco View Post
    Wasn't Clark a free safety in Pitt? Why do you think he wouldn't play FS for us?
    Because he sucks at it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Am I the only one that's okay with that? As far as I've seen in Brown's experience he has stepped in, kept the play in front of him and makes plays. He's opportunistic as hell. I never understood why he didn't get more PT if we're doing the 'next man up' philosophy.
    I'm also okay with Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Because he sucks at it.
    For as terrible as people make him out to be in this topic, the actual stats don't really back up those assertions. The Steelers finished 9th in pass defense, and ProFootballFocus ranked him as an average FS last year. Here is what they have to say about him as a free agent:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ents-safeties/

Summary: Ironically, Clark follows Delmas on the list, with the Steelers already expressing interest in replacing Clark with Delmas. Unlike most of the list, Clark’s best years are behind him and his best asset to a team is leadership. However, that doesn’t mean that he still can’t play and help a team on the field, too. Last year Clark was average across the board, he ranked 45th out of 86 qualifying safeties and ranked similarly in most statistics. He finished 30th in Tackling Efficiency despite missing 13 tackles, which is a testament to how many plays he was in the middle of. After spending many days working for ESPN this offseason, there is some speculation that Clark might retire and go into the broadcasting business, but if he does continue his career, he can certainly be an asset to a team looking for a veteran leader.
    Aren't we a team who is looking for a veteran leader at FS? Seems like a fit to me. Is he the best option going into free agency? Obviously not, but with the guys left, he's the best fit. Far better then going with someone whos never started a game in the NFL.
    Last edited by AlbionHero; 03-19-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbionHero View Post
    For as terrible as people make him out to be in this topic, the actual stats don't really back up those assertions. The Steelers finished 9th in pass defense, and ProFootballFocus ranked him as an average FS last year. Here is what they have to say about him as a free agent:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ents-safeties/

Aren't we a team who is looking for a veteran leader at FS? Seems like a fit to me. Is he the best option going into free agency? Obviously not, but with the guys left, he's the best fit. Far better then going with someone whos never started a game in the NFL.
    He's a Steeler and old so that means he sucks.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He's a Steeler and old so that means he sucks.
    Yeah, and PFF ain't law round' these parts'.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore