Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: I think Wagners going to get a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    The problem is that the FA market doesn't have any RTs that are better than Oher was, heck a good number of them are worse. That's why I believe that Wagner has the inside track at RT.
    Think outside the box ?? Bryant is interested in a chance; even at RT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...job-somewhere/

Somehow I figure he has burned his bridges, but is still marketing himself.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    I'd rather have Martin and Gino than the Wagner/veteran center combo.
    I'd rather have:

LT Monroe
    LG Martin
    C *Vet
    RG Yanda
    RT Osemele

Depth - Wagner, Jensen, Gino along with tremendous versatility of starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    I'd rather have:

LT Monroe
    LG Martin
    C *Vet
    RG Yanda
    RT Osemele

IMO this is THE best option at OL for 2014. Some feel taking Martin at #17 and playing him at LG is unwise, but the Ravens MUST field a dominant OL in 2014. This team is going to go the way of the OL. When the OL is dominant, Flacco and the running game are dominant. When the OL is weak, Flacco and the running game are weak.

I really don't care about anything other than fixing the OL. It's priority #1, #2, and #3. Last season showed that you can go ahead and spend up to the hilt on defense, draft a bunch of good defensive players, and otherwise focus on defense, and that buys you an 8-8 season with no playoffs and a lot of wear and tear on your franchise QB. I'll pass on doing that again even if it means question marks everywhere else.

The only realistic chance we have at Mack is if the Browns decide to rescind the transition tag and we don't have to do any goofy contracts to steal him from the Browns. The only reason they would even consider that is because $10m is 25% more than the next center is making, but they can afford to do that for one year.

I'd like to see us bring in Will Montgomery at Center and have Jensen/KO/Wagner compete at LG and or Wagner/KO at RT.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Jah Reid is interesting because the coaching staff obviously thought well enough of him to play him at LG for 7 games, and even if he looked like a tackle playing guard he didn't play anyway near as poorly as Shipley this past year. Yet going into 2013 he was a healthy scratch for several games and he seems to be totally out of the team's plans for the future.

I wonder if his injuries set him back or he didn't practice well in the new scheme. Either way, he looks like a bust as a 3rd round pick (that we traded up for, ugh.)
    I've been thinking about this for months...not so much from a cost perspective, but from judgment.
    I'd like to know why we thought so much of the lad.
    Such a disappointment.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    IMO this is THE best option at OL for 2014. Some feel taking Martin at #17 and playing him at LG is unwise, but the Ravens MUST field a dominant OL in 2014. This team is going to go the way of the OL. When the OL is dominant, Flacco and the running game are dominant. When the OL is weak, Flacco and the running game are weak.

I really don't care about anything other than fixing the OL. It's priority #1, #2, and #3. Last season showed that you can go ahead and spend up to the hilt on defense, draft a bunch of good defensive players, and otherwise focus on defense, and that buys you an 8-8 season with no playoffs and a lot of wear and tear on your franchise QB. I'll pass on doing that again even if it means question marks everywhere else.
    I dont understand how Martin at 17 would be unwise. If he were 2 inches taller, he'd be a top-8 pick most likely.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I've been thinking about this for months...not so much from a cost perspective, but from judgment.
    I'd like to know why we thought so much of the lad.
    Such a disappointment.
    Not only was Jah a bust, but AQ was a disaster too. The Ravens should Ship(ley) both of them out of Baltimore... Bc

I'd rather have:

LT Monroe
    LG Martin
    C *Vet
    RG Yanda
    RT Osemele

I really like the versatility and depth that this would provide.
    I like the value proposition that a guy like Will Mongtomery presents, especially considering his versatility, leadership and relative success in a nearly identical scheme.
    I really think that "going young" at the Center position is a poor choice in the short term.

Wagner, Jensen, Gino as Olinemen 6,7 and 8 is exactly what I am trying to achieve.

Blog Entries

That's a good line - above average especially in Kubes ZBS but I'm betting that Jensen still gets the shot at Center @318 lbs until they sign some vet but right now they haven't and there's not much more out there until someone is re-leased that they like.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I really like the versatility and depth that this would provide.
    I like the value proposition that a guy like Will Mongtomery presents, especially considering his versatility, leadership and relative success in a nearly identical scheme.
    I really think that "going young" at the Center position is a poor choice in the short term.

Wagner, Jensen, Gino as Olinemen 6,7 and 8 is exactly what I am trying to achieve.
    I don't understand why Montgomery hasn't already visited, unless it's because they are already focused on someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I dont understand how Martin at 17 would be unwise. If he were 2 inches taller, he'd be a top-8 pick most likely.
    I recall something similar being said about a guy named Ray...oh shit wha'ts his last name...starts with an L....Lewis maybe? ;-) (No Martin is not Ray Lew caliber, but you get my point)

But in all seriousness, I like Martin. He's NFL ready and versitile. Reminds me a lot of Yanda. KO is an all-pro guard, but has potential to be a very good NFL RT as well. I would say Martin is similar. Even with Gino:

Monroe - Martin - Gino - Yanda - KO ... soooo much better than last year. I also would argue he is good for ZBS
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I don't understand why Montgomery hasn't already visited, unless it's because they are already focused on someone else.
    There are message board type rumors that he failed his exit physical.
    That is literally the only reason I can think of, is that these rumors have truth to them.

I like Martin a LOT and would not be upset if he were selected at 17. I can success in his NFL future at any of the 3 "grunt" spots.. LG, RG, RT.

But... I think Pryor fills a need that has less potential to be filled later in the draft, where lunch pail Olinemen can normally be had in the mid rounds.