Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: I think Wagners going to get a shot

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    What if they're interested in Martin playing center?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack Martin? I love him as a player, but I don't know that I see him as a center. Definitely guard or tackle, and maybe center eventually, but if we're talking about really moving guys around like that I would probably rather move Yanda to center and play Martin at right guard.

I wouldn't be opposed at all to moving Yanda to center. It's easier to find a good guard who can play right away than a center and Yanda seems to have the ability to do it. He can make the line calls, he can get to the 2nd level, and he can probably snap the ball better than Gradkowski anyway. Hell, Gradkowski barely played center in college anyway, he was primarily a guard. So we know the Ravens aren't afraid to move guys' positions around.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yanda isn't retiring after this year....

And Marcus Martin to me, is the best C in this class, and worth a 3rd rd pick.
    Martin is a pretty good prospect but he's not very experienced at C. I think he may be more of a guard in the pros but if he's there in the 3rd I would definitely consider drafting him. Weston Richburg I think is the slightly better prospect particularly for the ZBS, Colorado State ran a good bit of ZBS (USC did too) and Richburg really moves well laterally and gets to the 2nd level better than any C prospect I've watched so far. He's also extremely smart and experienced.

I think Richburg is going to be the best center from this class particularly for zone blocking teams. I think he would easily beat Gradkowski for the starting job in camp. Honestly, Martin probably could do, so that might not be saying a whole ton. Gradkowski is just awful.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I like Richburg too, he's a 4 year starter and was very consistent in college, perhaps a day 1 starter. I just like Martin's upside more, either would be nice 3rd rd picks. As would Swanson, although his upside isn't that high imo.

Btw what's your issue with Zack Martin at C? I think he could play any position well apart from LT. I think with an offseason learning to snap the ball and make the line calls for Kubiak, he could be an Alex Mack type player. He's a smart kid, and is way more athletic than most centers you see coming out of college. I personally think he's a day 1 starter AND pro bowler at C. Just my crazy opinion.

Blog Entries

Yeah I like Richburg too, he's a 4 year starter and was very consistent in college, perhaps a day 1 starter. I just like Martin's upside more, either would be nice 3rd rd picks. As would Swanson, although his upside isn't that high imo.

Btw what's your issue with Zack Martin at C? I think he could play any position well apart from LT. I think with an offseason learning to snap the ball and make the line calls for Kubiak, he could be an Alex Mack type player. He's a smart kid, and is way more athletic than most centers you see coming out of college. I personally think he's a day 1 starter AND pro bowler at C. Just my crazy opinion.
    Prob because he has never played center before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I too get the sense that the Ravens are positioning themselves to draft Martin (or another OL) in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    I just think moving Yanda to center makes the most sense. And to those who say "but you're weakening two positions at once *crying sound*"....no you're not. Yes you're taking Yanda away from RG, but the Ravens have shown a tendency to draft good guards (i.e. Yanda, KO, Jason Brown, Ben Grubbs). The draft is somewhat deep at guard/tackle and has a lot of guys who you could plug and play at guard. I have faith that Yanda could become one of the best centers in the NFL. He's just such a good player. Monroe-KO-Yanda-(Zack Martin, Su'a, Gabe Jackson)-Wagner sounds good to me.
    Moving Yanda to Center would weaken the positions. First off Yanda has played his entire pro career at RG and moving him to center would mean he'd have to learn how to play an entirely new position. Second off Yanda is a three time All-Pro at his position, I don't care how good the Ravens are at drafting guards a rookie isn't going to come in and have an All-Pro year like Yanda would.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Moving Yanda to Center would weaken the positions. First off Yanda has played his entire pro career at RG
    No, he hasn't. He's also played RT.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

I don't have an issue with it per se, it's just a very big jump to go from LT to C especially while also transitioning to the pro level overall. It's not like Barrett Jones (who I think Martin compares to, but Martin is a better and more athletic prospect), a guy who had actually played all 5 positions on the OL in college and had a comfort level with them all.

If the coaching staff and FO interview Martin and they feel he could mentally handle it and play at a high level at the position right away, then sure, go ahead and do it. But #17 overall is VERY high to draft a guy you see as your starting center especially if he's never played the position. Part of the reason why you would take Martin that high is because he can play OT at a really high level, and that makes him valuable. But if you see him as more of a C then that pushes his value down some IMO.

Honestly, hell, I would take BOTH Martin in the 1st and Richburg in the 3rd. Martin can play RT and Richburg can play C. You can never have enough good OL IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Moving Yanda to Center would weaken the positions. First off Yanda has played his entire pro career at RG and moving him to center would mean he'd have to learn how to play an entirely new position. Second off Yanda is a three time All-Pro at his position, I don't care how good the Ravens are at drafting guards a rookie isn't going to come in and have an All-Pro year like Yanda would.
    The things that make Yanda an All-Pro RG wouldn't disappear if he were moved to center. He has the skill set to play the position at a high level and the transition wouldn't be that great IMO.

It all depends on what happens at center. I think Yanda could be a good fallback option if they can't get an FA or rookie who would be an upgrade on Gradkowski. Bottom line, even if moving Yanda from RG to C weakens RG somewhat, I would much rather have to fill RG than go into 2014 with Gradkowski at center.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The things that make Yanda an All-Pro RG wouldn't disappear if he were moved to center. He has the skill set to play the position at a high level and the transition wouldn't be that great IMO.

It all depends on what happens at center. I think Yanda could be a good fallback option if they can't get an FA or rookie who would be an upgrade on Gradkowski. Bottom line, even if moving Yanda from RG to C weakens RG somewhat, I would much rather have to fill RG than go into 2014 with Gradkowski at center.
    Keeping Yanda at guard also helps out the RT, which may well need some help this year.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Keeping Yanda at guard also helps out the RT, which may well need some help this year.
    This.

I honestly think Gradkowski will be our center for 2014. Not saying that's my choice, just saying that he did improve towards the end of the season and with better coaching he may be just fine. I do hope they prepare for a plan B though.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    This.
    I honestly think Gradkowski will be our center for 2014. Not saying that's my choice, just saying that he did improve towards the end of the season and with better coaching he may be just fine. I do hope they prepare for a plan B though.
    This +1 guys. Our RT (whomever that may be) will likely need veteran help from the RG.
    My feeling, at this early date, is that GG will be given another chance to start, but with a short leash (plan B)... Bc

I can swallow one "rookie" on the line, but not 2. I'd be looking for a FA vet center to start.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012