Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: I think Wagners going to get a shot

I actually think Martin isn't even going to make it to us.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Part of Jah Reid's problem is that, based on scouts information, he was strictly a RT. He's barely played there since he was drafted.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Part of Jah Reid's problem is that, based on scouts information, he was strictly a RT. He's barely played there since he was drafted.
    Here's to hoping playing olinemen out of position ends with kubiak and company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    Think outside the box ?? Bryant is interested in a chance; even at RT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...job-somewhere/

Somehow I figure he has burned his bridges, but is still marketing himself.
    McKinnie has struggled with weight throughout his career and what's worse last year he had incentives to come to camp at a target weight and he still didn't hit it. Screw him.

As for the Martin talk, I'm tired of the Ravens going after "versatile" linemen. So far all of the "versatile" guys the Ravens have brought in for O-Line just showed that they're capable of sucking at multiple positions. I'd rather the Ravens just take Antonio Richardson in the 2nd then take another "versatile" guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    McKinnie has struggled with weight throughout his career and what's worse last year he had incentives to come to camp at a target weight and he still didn't hit it. Screw him.

As for the Martin talk, I'm tired of the Ravens going after "versatile" linemen. So far all of the "versatile" guys the Ravens have brought in for O-Line just showed that they're capable of sucking at multiple positions. I'd rather the Ravens just take Antonio Richardson in the 2nd then take another "versatile" guy.
    You are so right, Marshall Yanda and KO both suck royally....

Meanwhile RT only Jah Reid has been the best draft pick ever... Adam Terry too. Future LT he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post

A lot of the "versatile" guys the Ravens have pursued over the last few years have just been bad draft picks IMO. Jah Reid was a reach and not a great prospect. Oneil Cousins wasn't a very good prospect. Ramon Harewood was a project that nobody really gave a draftable grade.

I think the Ravens have increased their number of "unorthodox" picks (i.e. small school guys or guys perceived to be "reaches") over the last few years. Unfortunately, most of those picks have turned out to be poor ones. Oneil Cousins, David Hale, Ramon Harewood, Jah Reid, Gino Gradkowski... all of those guys were regarded as reaches at their draft positions, most of them coming from small schools. Ironically Cousins was probably the most highly-regarded prospect of that group of small-school guys.

IMO part of the reason the Ravens have not been drafting well is that they try to outsmart themselves, focusing too hard on small school guys no one has heard of. Sometimes that works out, like with Webb and Flacco. But most of the time, I would really have the high-producing player from a major college conference like the SEC.

Decosta has been quoted saying that the team was looking at smaller schools more recently because the rest of the league has gotten so good at drafting...especially after the 2012 draft where he admitted their draft board was completely wiped out by like the start of the 6th round. He said he was challenging his scouts to pay a little more attention to the small school guys.

Like you said, that is going to lead to more projects...just have to keep them to a minimum if at all possible.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Like you said, that is going to lead to more projects...just have to keep them to a minimum if at all possible.
    Sigh ...I have really come to loathe when the word "project" precedes "offensive lineman".