Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Michael Oher?

Re: Michael Oher?

I wish him well. Yeah, he drove me crazy at times, but he is a hell of a nice guy, and was really nice to my kids, when we met him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jay D83 View Post
    Goodbye Mr. False Start!
    Go...Goo...Good B...Good By...Good Bye Mr. Oher ... Bc

Blog Entries

He may have let us down quite often but he really was a model player as far as doing/saying the right things. I tend to agree with others that he was never in one position for his entire time with the Ravens and that probably hindered his growth. He was also a HUGE PR positive for the Ravens!

I wish him well in TN and hope for the best, until he plays the Ravens!

Did a workman like job for 4 years. Best of luck in Tennessee.

Blog Entries

I don't get the sense that Oher is drawing nearly the same venom as, for instance, Cary Williams last offseason. The fact that he's getting any level of disrespect here at all is unfair. I really don't understand how anyone here could say a single negative word about Oher.

Yes, he was probably a minor disappointment as a Raven, but to me, it's hard to label a guy even as a "minor disappointment" when he started 90 out of a possible 90 games in his first five years as a pro. As a rookie in 2009, he was a stud. In a lot of the 2010 "redrafts" from the previous year, Oher was viewed as a top 5 guy and a major steal from the previous year's draft.

He just got moved around too much and that clearly messed with his confidence. Part of the "problem" with Oher was that he was versatile enough to play LT at a semi-marginal level, so the Ravens never really properly addressed that position. Had Jared Gaither not turned out to be a fat, unmotivated waste, Oher would have been the starting RT for the past five years and I have a feeling we'd be reviewing his time here in much more favorable terms. For all the description I gave of Gaither, Oher was his polar opposite. Oher brough zero distractions and a great work ethic. He also, unlike Gaither, toughed it out through injuries through his time here and was ready for the opening snap every week in his career. Lastly, I have a hard time picking on a guy who clearly gave our proud organization his best effort each and every day here. Whatever shortcomings he had in terms of on-field results, none of them were a byproduct of lack of determination, grit, attitude, or effort. At the end of the day, maybe he just wasn't a first round tackle in talent. I'm not sure I can fault him for that, when he clearly gave his all.

Michael Oher shouldn't hang his head over a damn thing when he looks back at his time here in Baltimore. He represented the franchise extremely well and was a valuable player to us because of his versatility and durability, even if his actual results were never anything approaching exceptional.

Blog Entries

Oher is a really good person. I wish nothing but the best for him. I followed him in college and was thrilled when the Ravens traded up for him. Things didn't work out but it wasn't more a mixed bag than a bad situation. Hopefully things work out better for him now that he's back home.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Lastly, I have a hard time picking on a guy who clearly gave our proud organization his best effort each and every day here. Whatever shortcomings he had in terms of on-field results, none of them were a byproduct of lack of determination, grit, attitude, or effort. At the end of the day, maybe he just wasn't a first round tackle in talent. I'm not sure I can fault him for that, when he clearly gave his all.
    I know this is the common perception regarding his effort level, but if you had the displeasure of grading the play of the 2013 Ravens OL, you'd know that Oher completely mailed it in after Monroe was acquired.

If you look back to his rookie year, there was a player who pushed around opponents to the whistle. Yanda still does that 7 years into his career, so I don't see any reason why Oher should have stopped.

Blog Entries

LOL - They're bashing Oher already in Tenn and they haven't even seen him yet. Here's some comments on their board. Gotta hand it to them, they know their football.

1. He's a penalty machine. ILMAO

2. He'll never play out his contract. LOL

3. Rotoworld has him ranked at the very bottom for RTs with most sacks
    allowed - 8. LOL

4. He has to be better than Stewart last year.

5. The Ravens are laughing over this one.

6. This is the second straight year the Titans had a head scratching
    free agent period.

Aren't you glad we have Ozzie? EVen Decosta is better than their guy and he's the one who said WE HAVE OUR BOOKENDS. ILMAO
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-16-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    I know this is the common perception regarding his effort level, but if you had the displeasure of grading the play of the 2013 Ravens OL, you'd know that Oher completely mailed it in after Monroe was acquired.

If you look back to his rookie year, there was a player who pushed around opponents to the whistle. Yanda still does that 7 years into his career, so I don't see any reason why Oher should have stopped.
    In a word - TECHNIQUE or lack thereof.

You said it many times, short arms and wing span for LT and feet not fast enough at both positions. Doesn't use hands like a stun gun.

Blog Entries

Speaking of bashing and Rotoworld, I looked them up and they did some Oher bashing too. Note they start off saying Ozzie Newsome is chuckling over this one.

We have to believe Ozzie Newsome is chuckling at this one. Oher, 28 in May, never got better during his five-year stint in Baltimore, struggling mightily in spot duty at left tackle and performing at a well-below-average clip on the right side. He graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 68 tackle in 2013, among 76 qualifiers. Oher was a dead-last 76th in run blocking with eight sacks allowed. He'll replace David Stewart at right tackle in Nashville.

So for all you guys making excuses for Big Mike, you're not up with the Titans fans in football IQ.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-16-2014 at 12:35 AM.

I don't get the sense that Oher is drawing nearly the same venom as, for instance, Cary Williams last offseason. The fact that he's getting any level of disrespect here at all is unfair. I really don't understand how anyone here could say a single negative word about Oher.

Yes, he was probably a minor disappointment as a Raven, but to me, it's hard to label a guy even as a "minor disappointment" when he started 90 out of a possible 90 games in his first five years as a pro. As a rookie in 2009, he was a stud. In a lot of the 2010 "redrafts" from the previous year, Oher was viewed as a top 5 guy and a major steal from the previous year's draft.

He just got moved around too much and that clearly messed with his confidence. Part of the "problem" with Oher was that he was versatile enough to play LT at a semi-marginal level, so the Ravens never really properly addressed that position. Had Jared Gaither not turned out to be a fat, unmotivated waste, Oher would have been the starting RT for the past five years and I have a feeling we'd be reviewing his time here in much more favorable terms. For all the description I gave of Gaither, Oher was his polar opposite. Oher brough zero distractions and a great work ethic. He also, unlike Gaither, toughed it out through injuries through his time here and was ready for the opening snap every week in his career. Lastly, I have a hard time picking on a guy who clearly gave our proud organization his best effort each and every day here. Whatever shortcomings he had in terms of on-field results, none of them were a byproduct of lack of determination, grit, attitude, or effort. At the end of the day, maybe he just wasn't a first round tackle in talent. I'm not sure I can fault him for that, when he clearly gave his all.

Michael Oher shouldn't hang his head over a damn thing when he looks back at his time here in Baltimore. He represented the franchise extremely well and was a valuable player to us because of his versatility and durability, even if his actual results were never anything approaching exceptional.
    Amen. I don't get the cruel words.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Like others have said, Oher is a super nice guy, and I wish him the best. However, I am glad the Ravens are going in another direction at RT. Oher's technique never improved the entire time he was here, and he physically could not dominate like he did in college. By comparison, Yanda improved steadily(other than being injured), so you can't put that on the coaching staff. As nice as Oher is, he's clearly not the most intelligent guy out there, and the constant penalties at the very worst times, or blown assignments resulting in sacks displayed that.

Should be easy enough to replace that production, or lackthereof. I fully believe Ricky Wagner can suck just as equally as Oher at RT, and cost a fraction of the cap space!

Blog Entries

I don't get the sense that Oher is drawing nearly the same venom as, for instance, Cary Williams last offseason.
    IIRC Ozzie offered Cary Wms $15 mil. for three years, but was turned down. We won SB XLVII, and he signed in Philly for $16.5 (also 3 years). Oher played out his rookie contract, and like him or not, was unceremoniously let go into the sea of FAs... Bc

I am quite possibly the charter member of the Michael Oher boo-bird club around here...

But now that he will no longer be playing football in Purple, I have nothing bad to say about him. Seemed like a nice guy, wish him the best now that he is no longer hurting our football team.