Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Avant

Re: Jason Avant

Quote Originally Posted by playa1125 View Post
    Just got releases per pft. I like him as our 4, he has good hands and is a good leader. Offer him the vet min.
    I think he probably gets a one year contract for a bit more than the vet minimum. I'd guess in the 1.5-1.8mil range, which the Ravens have plenty of room for right now. The real decision is whether you prefer Avant over Deonte Thompson as the #4 WR.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'd take Avant over Doss.
    Me too.
    Right this minute, come opening week, we have...

Two known and capable entities on the roster at WR: Torrey and Marlon
    One known and incapable: Doss
    One unknown: Mellette
    One (possible short-term) suspended and known disappointment: Thompson
    Two unknowns on the PS.

I'd like to think that we'll draft 2-3 WRs in May, but past history suggests that I shouldn't hold my breath.
    The sad reality is that Avant would immediately become our #3WR.
    He's not the solution, long-term nor short, but the "He Makes Our Team Better" mantra works in this case, does it not?
    Such is our sad, ishtty situation at WR...again.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Me too.
    Right this minute, come opening week, we have...

Two known and capable entities on the roster at WR: Torrey and Marlon
    One known and incapable: Doss
    One unknown: Mellette
    One (possible short-term) suspended and known disappointment: Thompson
    Two unknowns on the PS.

I'd like to think that we'll draft 2-3 WRs in May, but past history suggests that I shouldn't hold my breath.
    The sad reality is that Avant would immediately become our #3WR.
    He's not the solution, long-term nor short, but the "He Makes Our Team Better" mantra works in this case, does it not?
    Such is our sad, ishtty situation at WR...again.

I agree with your premise about Avant. He's not a sexy addition, but he gives depth and experience. You know that he can contribute if he's called upon. I strongly disagree with labeling Thompson as a "known disappointment". The guy was an undrafted player who has, when given a chance to play, looked decent. He had a very good game against the Bills last year and made a few key catches against Chicago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'd take Avant over Doss.
    Yes, but there's another choice = neither... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I strongly disagree with labeling Thompson as a "known disappointment". The guy was an undrafted player who has, when given a chance to play, looked decent. He had a very good game against the Bills last year and made a few key catches against Chicago.
    What are you talking about? Thompson has 15 career catches... ONE against Chicago and 4 for 50 yards against Buffalo. I may be misremembering but I don't recall a single non-routine play Deonte Thompson has ever made. There are hordes of bottom-of-the-roster guys in the NFL that come in and make a handful of catches, tackles, etc. every year for every fan's favorite team. 9 out of 10 of them quietly vanish from the league never to be heard from again.

Meanwhile, the WR depth chart was completely wide open almost all of last year and despite that, Thompson was a healthy scratch the latter part of the year. I think he's 50/50 at best to even make the team next year, again pending any additions in FA and the draft. I don't see how any WR under contract in 2014 not named Marlon Brown or Torrey Smith is even above a 50% chance to be on the 2014 roster.

Blog Entries

I agree with your premise about Avant. He's not a sexy addition, but he gives depth and experience. You know that he can contribute if he's called upon.
    I tend to agree with this; he's not going to be a 1,000 yd. guy but he could play a role. Might be worth bringing him in to compete. I have a sense that it's going to be crowded at WR in camp this year

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I agree with your premise about Avant. He's not a sexy addition, but he gives depth and experience. You know that he can contribute if he's called upon. I strongly disagree with labeling Thompson as a "known disappointment". The guy was an undrafted player who has, when given a chance to play, looked decent. He had a very good game against the Bills last year and made a few key catches against Chicago.
    That's fair.
    I've expected more from him (and have often posted as such), so my label is very much subjective.
    Objectively, maybe "known inconsistent performer" is more accurate.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Also, to clarify this statement...

I'd like to think we'll draft 2-3 WRs in May--one of which will be consistent contributor before the year's out, but past history suggests that I shouldn't hold my breath.

@BigPlayReceiver

Avant would become the second best WR on the Ravens right now. Now, Marlon can certainly improve, but right now Avant is better.
    Signing him makes a lot of sense. He's not too expensive. He's a great locker room guy. He has great hands, and is guy who will make catches over the middle, which the Ravens currently lack.

Blog Entries

I'd just hate to sign Avant if the Ravens could draft a young WR (Evans, Lee, etc.) for le$$.
    Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown, and a high WR draft choice, would go a long way to support Flacco's now and future productivity. Especially with Pitta under contract. Avant is not Boldin! ... Bc

I think he probably gets a one year contract for a bit more than the vet minimum. I'd guess in the 1.5-1.8mil range, which the Ravens have plenty of room for right now. The real decision is whether you prefer Avant over Deonte Thompson as the #4 WR.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,6095679.story

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'd just hate to sign Avant if the Ravens could draft a young WR (Evans, Lee, etc.) for le$$.
    Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown, and a high WR draft choice, would go a long way to support Flacco's now and future productivity. Especially with Pitta under contract. Avant is not Boldin! ... Bc
    Avant is not going to block the Ravens from drafting and developing a WR. He's not going to cost a lot, and you certainly could use 4 WR. Someone is bound to get hurt, it could take the rookie a while to catch on to the NFL game.
    While Avant may not be as good as Boldin in his prime, there is a glaring hole on the Ravens for that type of WR. A rookie is certainly not going to be able to do it in year 1.