Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting Draft Article

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/2...ngalongsnapper

NFL daft
    A partial history of draft day's terrible decisions and total failures

Re: Interesting Draft Article

Wow. I forgot how poorly the jets have drafted over the years. Fan reaction is priceless LOL

Good read.

The "Nap Time" graphic is so odd.

There has to be a reason (multiple maybe) for the #6-10 anomaly. Looking at the teams, the guys drafted (several were PBers), and if there were crazy "reach" trades; nothing stands out.

The #31-35 (beginning of day 2/round 2) explanation could definitely be the value of a good night's sleep.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

I think bad teams create busts more than they draft them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/2...ngalongsnapper

NFL daft
    A partial history of draft day's terrible decisions and total failures
    Nice read
    Matt Millen beaten by a dartboard 6 out of 10 times....
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I like the Dartboard>Matt Millen argument

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Nice read
    Matt Millen beaten by a dartboard 6 out of 10 times....
    Which begs the question, who's dumber? A guy who's dumber than a dartboard, or a guy who hires a guy that's dumber than a dartboard?
    "Chin up, chest out."

I love this quote, referring to the Jets picking Mike Nugent with a second round pick as opposed to a kicker UDFA:

"It's like trying to build a really great house and spending $10,000 on the doorknob. Yes, you need the doorknob to enter the house, and entering a house is one of the best things about having a house. But every hardware store sells doorknobs that cost $15 and are 99.9 percent as good."

I'm stealing this one, and I'm not even ashamed.

Blog Entries

Matt Millen was probably the worst GM in history. He obviously had no clue what he was doing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Wow. I forgot how poorly the jets have drafted over the years. Fan reaction is priceless LOL
    Kyle Brady over Sapp. Heh. All kinds of funny there.

I liked Jay Mohr's send up of their draft reactions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c617b7AICA
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Kyle Brady over Sapp. Heh. All kinds of funny there.
    IIRC Belichick (Browns head coach at the time) wanted Brady badly (in a football sense guys). The Jets, who already had a solid TE (Mitchell?) weren't expected to draft him one spot ahead of the Browns. The Jets did, and BB went ballistic in the draft war room. I believe he made a trade with the 49ers, and that led to us (Ravens) drafting Ray Lewis in 1996. The rest is history... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    IIRC Belichick (Browns head coach at the time) wanted Brady badly (in a football sense guys). The Jets, who already had a solid TE (Mitchell?) weren't expected to draft him one spot ahead of the Browns. The Jets did, and BB went ballistic in the draft war room. I believe he made a trade with the 49ers, and that led to us (Ravens) drafting Ray Lewis in 1996. The rest is history... Bc
    It was positively Ozzie-esque. Effectively he gave up the #26 overall pick and Eric Metcalf to Atlanta to move up to the #10 long before the draft. I don't know who he had his eye on at #10, but apparently he wasn't there when it came time to pick. So he traded back from #10 all the way down #30 with SF, and in the process picked up SF's 3rd and 4th that year, and their 1st the following year. Then he traded the 4th to the Eagles for their 5th in '95 and '96. So effectively, for moving back four places at the end of the first round (and giving up a Pro Bowl special teams guy), he picked up a 1st, 3rd, and two 5ths.

Now of course, he wasted most of that haul on guys like Craig Powell, Mike Frederick, and Mike Miller. But the draft is a hit and miss proposition. The more picks you have, the more chances you have of getting a hit, like the guy we got at #26 the following year.
    "Chin up, chest out."