Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: NFL to penalize players for using the 'N word'

First they need to penalize late hits on non-elite QBs. Also on players who spit on the field. And players who argue with the fans. And coaches who are not in the right spot on the field. I know there's more, need a little help. Going to be hard to believe the refs if they have bad history.

Is an African-American player using that word as a superlative to a teammate for a great play the same as using that word towards an opponent with malice in his heart?

Blog Entries

I know i don't epxect most to understand this, but amongst my brothas and we don't use the word often but when we do we use the word as term of endearment, yes there is a lot of things that comes with that word but and alot of grey areas but it depends on what and who your circle is made up of. I won't sit here and act like as black person I find using it offenisve because frankly its not but with my circle we know when and where to use it, around older generations we don't, in public we don't and around other races we don't just when we are amongst each other in comfort off our own surroundings and maybe once or twice it may come out in a colorful conversation or heated debate about something. I don't think its all that of a big deal deal anymore, times are different and things have changed you see lil white kids singing a lil wayne song and they say it, do i have the right to get mad? Hell no because lets be real here we sold ourselves out to where that word now is like any other. Now if some one throws an ER at the end of that? Then we really gotta problem.

While I don't use the word and find it offensive, where does it stop? Many people find many word offensive for many reasons. F-bombs are okay? What about M-F-bombs? I think in this instance the NFL needs to let the players police this themselves.

http://screen.yahoo.com/snl-controve...000000441.html

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

Blog Entries

I wonder if this is the start of changes coming due to the Miami mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Are they going to differentiate between ****er and ****a? A lot of people will be paying money if they fine for ****a.

Obviously with the number of Seahawks players going into their 3rd year this was a popular word used in the locker room. Michael Robinson, a senior player by Seahawks standards used to make locker room vids and post them on you tube. Called the RealRobReport if you want a good laugh and have a little time there are some pretty funny events there.

He talked the players into saying "My Brother" instead. So the players say it after every sentence in those videos. I think the NFL needs to make a request and just ASK them to avoid using it, but they need to pay more attention to other things to fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    Are they going to differentiate between ****er and ****a? A lot of people will be paying money if they fine for ****a.
    I can't imagine "er" being used a lot on the football field, so this must be targeted at "a" so I would assume there's gonna be some serious fining going on this year.

The league's hypocrisy in this case is stunning. I'm willing to bet my net worth that in the vast VAAAAAAAAST majority of cases of it's use on an NFL playing field, the n-bomb is being used by African American to refer to another African American. In such cases, these players are doing something called "reappropriation", which is a very common way that a traditionally disparaged group removes the vitriol and power of a slur that is typically used to denigrate them. In other words, while I as a white man would hardly ever be in a position to use most racial slurs in a positive way, there is a pretty strong field of academia which believes that minorities can.

Meanwhile, the Washington Redskins will presumably be allowed to use their own team name, while if a player on the field called an actual Native American that term he'd be violating intent, if not the letter, of this new rule.

Mind boggling.

ETA: To provide some examples that most people on this board will understand, consider that the word Yankee was originally coined as an insult to Americans, obviously we've reappropriated that one. Similarly, the symbol of a donkey to represent the Democratic party has it's roots in an insulting cartoon which depicted Democrat Andrew Jackson as a stubborn jackass. Jackson rolled with it.
    Last edited by ActualSpamBot; 02-22-2014 at 10:18 PM.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

The constitution called and informed me that calling someone a hurtful name is not a crime. In fact, that thing tells me that an American citizens has the right to say whatever they want no matter how mean it is.

Now having said that I know that if I ever call someone a derogatory name while at work or even if anyone at work got wind of it, I could be terminated. It says so in my contract. The difference between my job and the NFL is that in the environment that I work, unprofessional language is never acceptable. The culture of the NFL kind of breeds this stuff. Flacco wins a championship and celebrates by dropping a few fbombs and it is ok. If EOG scores come back favorably and I drop a few fbombs to celebrate, I am out of a job. I am just saying, I think the NFL is going to have a hard time making this stick.

11. Re: NFL to penalize players for using the 'N word'

Quote Originally Posted by Corvo View Post
    Will they penalize for all racial slurs? because that will be tough for Washington players, they wont even be able to say the name of their own team.
    How about sexual innuendos and homosexual slurs? Michael Sams could have it easy..just sayin'

Blog Entries

What if someone has a tattoo that's offensive to another player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!