View Poll Results: Should the Ravens cut Ray Rice?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 45.90%
  • No

33 54.10%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Poll: Should the Ravens cut Ray Rice?

Quote Originally Posted by kris21054 View Post
    Did we cut Suggs when he had his problems? Did we cut Rolle when he had his problems? How about Ray Lewis? How about Jamal Lewis? How are any of those other issues okay but this isn't?
    With Suggs and Rolle it may not be as cut and dry as Rice if Rice was caught on tape. No one REALLY knows exactly what happened in Suggs and Rolle's cases. Whatever Rice did is gonna be confirmed on video tape.

As for Ray, he didn't do anything himself. He got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and then lied to the cops, but that's really a gray area when you're in his position.

And Jamal Lewis' incident was something that happened 4 years before he was even indicted. It's easy to say he wasn't the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    With Suggs and Rolle it may not be as cut and dry as Rice if Rice was caught on tape. No one REALLY knows exactly what happened in Suggs and Rolle's cases. Whatever Rice did is gonna be confirmed on video tape.

As for Ray, he didn't do anything himself. He got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and then lied to the cops, but that's really a gray area when you're in his position.

And Jamal Lewis' incident was something that happened 4 years before he was even indicted. It's easy to say he wasn't the same person.
    This.

Each situation presents it's own set of problems and solutions.

This talk of cutting Ray Rice is ridiculous. All hes done for this team, city and fanbase and y'all are ready to throw him in the trash in a time when he (and his family) needs our support.

I know he had a rough season last year and it excruciating to see him so slow and soft, but I think he's gonna have a Comeback Player of the Year type of season and help Joe get us back to the playoffs.

Blog Entries

I'm inclined to say they should.

The PR issues are going to be really really bad if they keep Rice. Especially because Rice has been the face of community service and the anti-bullying campaign.

He can never be taken seriously with that stuff again because he is going to be looked at as a woman-beater.

Way to go Ray. :grbac:

From a football stance, Pierce can start and they can find guys who can rotate with Pierce.

Hell, if they cut Rice, maybe they do target Ben Tate?

As Ozzie said at the sotr presser: "I'm not afraid to let good players walk".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    This talk of cutting Ray Rice is ridiculous. All hes done for this team, city and fanbase and y'all are ready to throw him in the trash in a time when he (and his family) needs our support.

I know he had a rough season last year and it excruciating to see him so slow and soft, but I think he's gonna have a Comeback Player of the Year type of season and help Joe get us back to the playoffs.
    If he cheap-shotted a woman and knocked her out, absolutely. If I did that, I'd be in jail. As a person of privelage, he'll avoid jail time, but no way do I want the organization supporting that kind of person.

Blog Entries

What he needs is anger management and a reality check.

If all that is being accused winds up being true, then yes, we should cut him regardless of the cap hit IMO. This team still has a pretty strong reputation around the country as being full of criminals and thugs. Up until this incident, it was pretty easy to argue that this view of the team is many years outdated, but it exists nonetheless, and if the Ravens were to do nothing about it, that image would only strengthen. I, for one, am pretty sick of the Ravens being viewed this way. Cutting Rice wouldn't sway all of the detractors, but I think cutting him in spite of a big cap hit makes a big statement and would at least somewhat repair the image of the team.

Besides that, knocking out your fiancee is a pretty serious crime in my book. It might not be viewed that way legally, but it's a pretty despicable thing to do, and carries a lot of emotional fervor. If the Ravens were to simply let Rice play, they'd take a TON of public heat. It's a distraction that they don't need. They have dealt with other incidents in the past (Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, Samari Rolle, Terrell Suggs), but this one is different. Ray Lewis was cleared of wrongdoing. Jamal Lewis committed his crime as a very young player years before he was charged. And the Terrell Suggs and Samari Rolle incidents never really amounted to much of anything if I remember correctly.

With the new cap projection, the Ravens have approximately $19.7M in cap space (about $16M under the old projection plus $3.7M more). Cutting Rice would bring that down to about $14.2M. You cut Koch, McClain, and Leach, and that brings the cap space to about $21M. While keeping Rice would allow them to have even more, that's plenty of money to have a productive offseason in my estimation.

Add all of this to the fact that he wasn't very good last year (OL and hip injury notwithstanding), and to me it makes perfect sense to release him IF the accusations are in fact true.

I have no problem rooting for him if he didn't knock his fiance out. If it turns out this is all from him slapping her after being hit and then she passed out, I'll root for him.

If it turns out he cold cocked her then I'm sorry, I don't want him on our team. I hope he would learn from the incident and be a better man, but he doesn't need to be a Raven to do that.

I'd say the same thing if it was Joe Flacco that did this too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm inclined to say they should.

The PR issues are going to be really really bad if they keep Rice. Especially because Rice has been the face of community service and the anti-bullying campaign.

He can never be taken seriously with that stuff again because he is going to be looked at as a woman-beater.

Way to go Ray. :grbac:

From a football stance, Pierce can start and they can find guys who can rotate with Pierce.

Hell, if they cut Rice, maybe they do target Ben Tate?

As Ozzie said at the sotr presser: "I'm not afraid to let good players walk".

Will the Ravens sell less tickets if Rice is on the team? Even more important, will they have a tough time filling those expensive luxury suits? If the answer is no to both then the bad PR is meaningless. Every other comment after one of these national stories is about how Ray Lewis is a murderer and got away with it. The national perception among the haters isn't going to change.

The Steelers were in the exact same spot with Ben. We went on and on about how bad that organization was for keeping him after what he was accused of doing. The Steelers didn't suffer keeping Ben on their team. They didn't sell less tickets or have any permanent issues with corporate sponsorship. Today there was a story about how they want to keep Ben as long as he wants to play in the NFL.

Keeping Ray Rice or cutting him is not going to change the outside perception of the Ravens. Ray Lewis created a legacy that the haters will latch on to forever. The team is better off doing what is best from a football perspective and just accept the bad PR.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Will the Ravens sell less tickets if Rice is on the team? Even more important, will they have a tough time filling those expensive luxury suits? If the answer is no to both then the bad PR is meaningless. Every other comment after one of these national stories is about how Ray Lewis is a murderer and got away with it. The national perception among the haters isn't going to change.

The Steelers were in the exact same spot with Ben. We went on and on about how bad that organization was for keeping him after what he was accused of doing. The Steelers didn't suffer keeping Ben on their team. They didn't sell less tickets or have any permanent issues with corporate sponsorship. Today there was a story about how they want to keep Ben as long as he wants to play in the NFL.

Keeping Ray Rice or cutting him is not going to change the outside perception of the Ravens. Ray Lewis created a legacy that the haters will latch on to forever. The team is better off doing what is best from a football perspective and just accept the bad PR.
    I hear you. The difference is that there is video of what went down with Ray.

That's the key pience in all of this.

If video surfaces of this, it will be all over ESPN. Yes, the stadium will still sell out. We will still watch.

The problem is the PR from it all and the loss of advertising.

Blog Entries

Supposedly it's only part of a video. There was a whole bar full of eyewitnesses who saw Ben and that girl go into the bathroom too.