Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Back-ups in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    There were rumors afoot that Schaub was being considered by at least one or two teams as a potential starter or "bridge" option, I believe Oakland specifically was mentioned. Regarding the 2 QBs you mentioned, both have taken hits to their stock because each had a poor Senior Bowl, but I think they are very different prospects with different futures in the NFL.

Tajh Boyd, as I'm sure you're aware, is all over the map and reportedly team scouts have pegged him anywhere from the 2nd-3rd to undraftable. You can probably split the difference on that and put his floor at around the 5th or so. It would be ridiculous IMO for a team in need of help at QB, whether backup or starter, to not pull the trigger on Boyd around the 5th.

I think Boyd has all the tools necessary to be a starting NFL QB particularly in the proper offense, provided that he work with a good QB coach to fix a few mechanical issues that have dragged down his accuracy in the intermediate part of the field. I'm not really inclined to hold bad Senior Bowl stuff against anybody; it takes some guys longer than others to adjust and develop chemistry with their pass-catchers. Boyd is probably one of those guys and the limited offense he played in at Clemson is not helping him to quickly come in and execute a foreign offense. But that is a very coachable issue overall.

Stephen Morris on the other hand, based on what I have seen, is not a guy I would be interested in drafting. His mechanics are probably too far gone to be repaired and I don't know if he has enough tools to work with other than pure arm strength. I think the NFL is just going to be too big and too fast for him.
    Some of what I caught about Boyd during the Senior Bowl was that he was just missing wide open receivers pretty consistently. His deep ball was all over the place and he over-threw a lot of guys over the middle. Someone mentioned (and I've seen this in film of his as well) that he compensates for his height (6' - 6'1") with trying to have a high release, but it isn't natural for him.

That is going to be tough to overcome.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I also really like the idea of looking at Jeff Matthews as a UDFA. He is a small school prospect with good size and a decent arm.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What makes you think any of those guys on Wickedsolo's list would get the veteran minimum? Henne for example has 19 starts the past 2 seasons. All those guys have a good number of starts. Quarterbacks with starts are expensive. Jason Campbell for example is due to make $3.25 million this year.

I'd love to see Shaun Hill come here. He was very impressive in Detroit and moves well enough to do a good job in Kubiak's system. I completely agree with you about Taylor and he makes me nervous just like he does every other fan. I just don't see Ozzie making a change with Taylor still under contract unless he or Flacco had an injury.
    Rex Grossman is coming off a 1-year deal that paid him the veteran minimum. I doubt he'd want a raise considering he's a year older and another year removed from playing real game snaps. He's the guy I'm stumping for given his experience in the Kubiak/Shanahan offense--can't speak for the other guys like Hill and Henne. Again, a big reason why I'd look for a guy with WCO experience is to serve as a sounding board and mentor to Flacco, who seems to do well with more hands-on type mentorship.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Some of what I caught about Boyd during the Senior Bowl was that he was just missing wide open receivers pretty consistently. His deep ball was all over the place and he over-threw a lot of guys over the middle. Someone mentioned (and I've seen this in film of his as well) that he compensates for his height (6' - 6'1") with trying to have a high release, but it isn't natural for him.

That is going to be tough to overcome.
    Yeah, he just has awkward mechanics, particularly related to his throwing motion. It's an ugly, weird "pitcher" style motion--high release point, 3/4 style delivery, but with a weird hitch at the top of the delivery and a tendency to "snap" the elbow. It reminds me somewhat of Aaron Rodgers' throwing motion coming out of Cal--and that was another QB who compensated for lack of ideal height by holding the ball high and releasing it at the top of the motion. (Remember, Aaron Rodgers is barely 6'2 and Boyd is 6' and change, so there's negligible height difference.)

Another big problem with Boyd is footwork. Obviously, he has very little experience dropping back from center, but more concerning is his tendency to shuffle his feet and fade backwards just prior to passing. If he could smooth out, set, and step into throws better, his accuracy would be MUCH improved. Again, these are things that a good QB coach can help him iron out. He needs a year with a good offensive staff like the Packers, 49ers, etc. and he could really turn out well.

Blog Entries

Grossman would be fine by me. I still don't think Ozzie will even bring him in but I'd be all for that move

I definitely think that we need to look at the long-term backup position in this offseason.

Kubiak will be installing his system from scratch in the coming weeks and months...we don't have any idea if he'll still be around next year, or if he will get calls for a Head Coaching spot.

My guess is that Taylor, even if cheap, will not be re-signed after this coming season...if that's true, then I want the backup going forward to learn the basis of the system from the guy who is installing it in earnest, not whomever we end up passing the baton to a year or two from now once Kubiak moves on.

Blog Entries

I also really like the idea of looking at Jeff Matthews as a UDFA. He is a small school prospect with good size and a decent arm.
    I liked what I saw in the Senior Bowl.
    Not going to be a high pick, needs time as a back-up for decision making/recognition, but has the size, arm strength and appeared to have touch also...
    who else to learn under than a career back-up QB with 119 games and 5 starts....
    I think his showing at the combine will determine if we have to use a late pick to be sure but I like taking him late. And assume that Cornell means he has some smarts... but that doesn't mean think fast and correctly under pressure
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

At this phase the Ravens should see if they can't convert Tyrod into a skill player seeing as he's so athletic.

I'd be ok with the Ravens looking at back up QB options later in the draft.
    Ozzie used to say that he learned from Bill Belichick to draft a late-round QB every year, you never know when you're going to hit on one. (As Belichick did with Brady.) But then Ozzie got Joe, and he hasn't drafted any potential competition since.

I feel we flirted with disaster the last couple seasons, going in with only The Human Highlight Reel at backup QB. We lucked out. But luck doesn't last forever. Joe is 29. This past year demonstrated he is not invulnerable. It's time to return to the old way of doing business: take a flyer on a late-round guy. Nothing wrong with getting an extra camp arm; and he could turn out to be a prospect.

Also wouldn't hate to see a former Kubiak guy in here as the 3rd or 4th QB for OTAs and training camp. That could be real useful.