Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17
  1. #1

    how messed up is florida?



    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-jury/5501117/

    im not sure who all has been following this and I admit im new to it but how can loud music be life threatening? What kind of precedent is that setting?

    also how can one say he ATTEMPTED to murder the 3 but the one that he did kill, he didnt murder? Does that make any sense?

    I have my feelings on the GZ case, but at the very least he stuck around the scene and was in contact with police, however the rest went down. This guy took off and didnt even bother to call police after discharging his weapon. Someone can enlighten me but thats not legal or responsible is it?

    I just find the whole circumstance insane and Dunn seems pretty unremorseful to me. Seemed pretty open and shut to me.
    -JAB




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,837

    how messed up is florida?

    How's is this an indictment of an entire state exactly?

    And I don't see the big deal on the verdict. He's going to spend the rest of his life in jail. Jury's are deadlocked all the time all over the country.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #3

    Re: how messed up is florida?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    How's is this an indictment of an entire state exactly?

    And I don't see the big deal on the verdict. He's going to spend the rest of his life in jail. Jury's are deadlocked all the time all over the country.
    Title change may be on point but florida certainly has been in the spotlight for questionable cases.

    how can you say hes guilty of attempting to kill but when he did kill somebody he didnt attempt to kill him and succeed? Deadlocked over something more gray id understand, dead locked over something you already agreed he did is ludicrous.
    -JAB




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,837

    Re: how messed up is florida?

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Title change may be on point but florida certainly has been in the spotlight for questionable cases.

    how can you say hes guilty of attempting to kill but when he did kill somebody he didnt attempt to kill him and succeed? Deadlocked over something more gray id understand, dead locked over something you already agreed he did is ludicrous.
    The spotlight is coincidence, based on two cases with white shooters and black victims. It's a cheap media narrative. Nothing more.

    Juries do dumb things all over the country everyday. Florida isn't immune to this.

    He's still going to die in jail. Rightfully so.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #5

    Re: how messed up is florida?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The spotlight is coincidence, based on two cases with white shooters and black victims. It's a cheap media narrative. Nothing more.

    Juries do dumb things all over the country everyday. Florida isn't immune to this.

    He's still going to die in jail. Rightfully so.
    I think its been more than two cases. The white shooter/black teen narrative wasnt blown out in this one either, maybe due to the parents wishes for it not to be. I dont see juries doing dumb things all the time as a good enough answer for ineptness. 60 years may equate to life so its the same end but I still want juries to be right in their decisons and not contradicting.
    -JAB




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,837

    Re: how messed up is florida?

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think its been more than two cases. The white shooter/black teen narrative wasnt blown out in this one either, maybe due to the parents wishes for it not to be. I dont see juries doing dumb things all the time as a good enough answer for ineptness. 60 years may equate to life so its the same end but I still want juries to be right in their decisons and not contradicting.
    Jury nullification is a huge problem all across the country. Florida isn't immune. Murderers walk free on a monthly basis in Baltimore City Circuit Court thanks to juries that refuse to convict on very strong cases. Small, uneducated jury pools, the CSI effect, a population that has a negative view of the police and prosecutors, etc are all creating problems.

    Thankfully here, this was declared a mistrial and he will be charged and, most likely, convicted down the road.

    Like you, I didn't really pay attention to this case. But I'm not going to jump to your conclusions that there was ineptness.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #7

    Re: how messed up is florida?

    The reason for the attempted murder verdict without a murder verdict is that Dunn fired his gun in three separate bursts.

    The first was from his car into the other car and resulted in the death. The prosecution went for 1st degree murder charge and the jury did not agree there was premeditation for that volley of shots.

    The attempted murder conviction stemmed from the last volley of shots that Dunn fired which was after he had gotten out of his car and fired at the the other car as it was driving away.

    When you look at the facts (what can be proven), and combine it with the prosecutor's aggressive charges, the verdict can be rationalized.




  8. #8

    Re: how messed up is florida?

    Florida's stand your ground law made a murder conviction unlikely, even though we all agree Dunn is a murderer. Justice was served and the guy will never see freedom again.

    The only similarity between this and the Zimmerman case is a black teenager died. Zimmerman was found innocent because of self-defense, not the stand your ground law.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,837

    Re: how messed up is florida?

    Prosecutor is already on record saying he's going to re-try Dunn on the murder charge.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #10

    Re: how messed up is florida?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Prosecutor is already on record saying he's going to re-try Dunn on the murder charge.
    I think he'll get a relatively easy conviction on murder 2...and that should have probably been the goal for the prosecution from the start.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,837

    Re: how messed up is florida?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think he'll get a relatively easy conviction on murder 2...and that should have probably been the goal for the prosecution from the start.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Agreed.

    Even if they don't try him again, he's gone for 60 years minimum.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #12

    Re: how messed up is florida?

    I've got to question the idea of trying Dunn again. He'll die in prison or be 100 by the time he gets out. No point in wasting money when he's gone anyway.

    I know the kid's parents will want the truth get out, but the judicial system isn't supposed to be emotionally based.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland