The new brand of coaches in the NFL

http://deadspin.com/pete-carroll-is-...ure-1516503516

The jist of the article is that totalitarian coaches (Greg Schiano, and Mike Shanahan) aren't faring so well in the league anymore, while the more agreeable coaches (Sean Payton, Pete Carroll, Harbs) are making big achievements in the league (I'd say 3 out of the past 5 Super Bowls is good).

Blog Entries

Re: The new brand of coaches in the NFL

Heh, the funny thing there is that Billick was "Camp Creampuff" and considered a player's coach, so Harbs was supposed to be the opposite. Maybe not a totalitarian, but more of a disciplined coach who doesn't care about ruffling some feathers. And I think in his first few years he did with some guys who needed wake up calls...

I think he's evolved a bit to understand, there are times you have to cut guys a break. But, he brings a strong work ethic discipline to his coaching, which is instilled in his players.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Heh, the funny thing there is that Billick was "Camp Creampuff" and considered a player's coach, so Harbs was supposed to be the opposite. Maybe not a totalitarian, but more of a disciplined coach who doesn't care about ruffling some feathers. And I think in his first few years he did with some guys who needed wake up calls...

I think he's evolved a bit to understand, there are times you have to cut guys a break. But, he brings a strong work ethic discipline to his coaching, which is instilled in his players.
    From the outside looking in, Harbaugh seems like a guy who's learned to balance being a firm coach when need be with respecting the players as professionals and people. That's the big difference between him and someone like Schiano, who just didn't seem to be able to make the adjustment to coaching veteran professionals instead of college kids.

All homerism aside, it staggers me that Harbs has never received ONE vote for Coach of the Year in any of his six seasons. He is grossly underrated, and is STILL referred to as "Jim" on occasion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    All homerism aside, it staggers me that Harbs has never received ONE vote for Coach of the Year in any of his six seasons. He is grossly underrated, and is STILL referred to as "Jim" on occasion.
    Coach of the year is generally for anyone who does a major turnaround from year before.

Harbs was close in 2008. He lost out to Mike Smith because it was thought that Smith was handed a decimated roster, while Harbaugh was handed the guts of a team that was just two years from a 13-3 season
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Coach of the year is generally for anyone who does a major turnaround from year before.

Harbs was close in 2008. He lost out to Mike Smith because it was thought that Smith was handed a decimated roster, while Harbaugh was handed the guts of a team that was just two years from a 13-3 season
    Harbs should have received at least one vote in '08...which he didn't.

Blog Entries

This will be his first big opportunity. Honestly, the way the team is shaping up right now, although much is left to be done, I like his chances to at least get a vote or two.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Pete Carroll rolls out of bed every morning and high five's the lamp.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Harbs should have received at least one vote in '08...which he didn't.
    Absolutely! A rookie coach, with a rookie QB and a rookie RB on a team that had just finished 5-11 in 2007 including a losing streak of NINE games. He takes those men to the AFCC and nearly to the SB and does not get one single vote? Insanity.

Now Mike Smith did a great job taking a 4-12 Falcons team to the same 11-5 record Harbaugh took the Ravens to (also with a Rookie QB) but got bounced in the WC game and did have nice vets like Michael Turner (PBer) and Roddy White (PBer) leading the way.

There is an argument to be made for each man, but for John to get shutout of the voting is very suspect,

Blog Entries

I believe Coach of the Year voting doesn't take playoffs into account. Otherwise it would've been Harbaugh hands down. Notice on the article below, announced Jan 9th.

Sparano lost to Smith by one vote. I was shocked he even got a vote, but then I remembered 2007 was the 1-15 year for the Dolphins. Sparano got them not only into the playoffs, but winning a division title.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3809378

Harbaugh should've been on that list too, but I can see why it was dominated by Smith and Sparano.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Pete Carroll rolls out of bed every morning and high five's the lamp.
    Then he tells the moon that it did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Then he tells the moon that it did a good job.
    Yeah.. PC is all about the positive. Almost kind of corny, but he gets the guys to play and stays true to his style regardless of what anyone thinks. Sometimes I get embarrassed as a Hawks fan, then I see the results and forget all about it.

John Harbaugh is the perfect coach IMHO, a serious motivator with no stutter in his words. He calls it exactly how he needs to and has obviously earned a ton of respect. It is hard to believe that JimBaugh is even part of the same gene pool sometimes. JohnBaugh is a cool customer and has been exceptional since taking the job.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4