Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT - Do you think the Rams will move back to LA?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Yes. I think it's absurd the NFL does not have a team in LA, but would stick one in Jacksonville.
    Jacksonville sucks asswater. Fools needed cruise ships to have enough hotel space for the Super Bowl and still cover 20K in seats and don't count them against a black out. Stupid team, in a stupid city, from a stupid commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Jacksonville sucks asswater. Fools needed cruise ships to have enough hotel space for the Super Bowl and still cover 20K in seats and don't count them against a black out. Stupid team, in a stupid city, from a stupid commissioner.
    Right. And we were told by that asinine commissioner to "go build another museum" when he screwed us out of that expansion team. I jump for joy every year when he doesn't get voted into the Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I feel like LA, similar to Jacksonville, is going to have a tough time regardless because there are three other teams (four if you consider Arizona) in fairly close proximity with each other.
    Actually that's not entirely true. San Diego is 90 miles away from Los Angeles (about the same as Philadelphia is from Baltimore).

Oakland, San Francisco and Arizona are about 400 miles away. That's like the distance from Baltimore to Boston or Charlotte.

I grew up in Los Angeles (and today with the double digit snow wonder why I'm here.. and part of the problem with the teams in LA are the Stadiums. The Colesium sucks and isn't in a great neighborhood.. The layout puts something like 60%+ of the seats in the endzones. The stadium in Anaheim was a football field jammed into a baseball park.

The other part is the team needs to be relevant. If you see how the popularity of the Clippers has risen in that area once they became something besides a laughing stock. The town won't support a team that loses year after year (think the Browns).

All that being said.. there's just a lot to do out there year round. Building a fan base will take some time, but having a winner early on would help.

Blog Entries

I could see them moving and than the Jags moving to StLouis. Can't see 2 more teams being added though.

Stan Kroenke is merely trying to leverage St. Louis into rebuilding the downtown stadium to become more of a money-maker. His multi-gazzillion dollar proposal is similar to what Vancouver did with BC Place: replace the fixed roof with a movable one. Then all the luxury suite doo-dads, a Rams shopping center and office building complex (such as the Saints & Patriots did). Kroenke's 60 acre purchase is just typical of his line of work: property development. That land, properly developed, is too valuable to be dedicated to a 10 times annual football stadium. Inglewood isn't as attractive as Newport Beach or Malibu, but it's rather centrally located and better suited for other development.

I don't believe that there is any acceptable franchise relocation scenario in store except for moving the other two California teams:

• The Jaguars have turned around the attendance shortfalls by whacking the former Gator Bowl's capacity by covering seats - just like the Landover team -- by whacking 10,000+ seats. If the Jags were to relocate, their interest would more likely be towards London.
    • If the Bills were to not get a new stadium in western New York per the current push, they already have staked a territorial claim for large & wealthy Toronto, whose draw from Ontario and the trans-Canadian TV dollar impact should be competitive with LA's impact to domestic NFL riches.
    • Minneapolis is now out of the equation.
    • Miami has gotten a not-to-subtle message from Goodell that it faces expulsion from the Super Bowl rotation, so expect to see resolution of upgrading/doming Joe Robbie/Landshark whatever stadium or building a new one in the Ft Lauderdale-West Palm Beach area.
    • Tampa is perhaps the most vulnerable non-California team to relocation, but I believe that the Glazers would rather aim for the riches of London

As to LA's predicted sports interests:

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Whatever team they put there is going to be 4th on the list in terms of popularity. Of course, winning cures that but neighbor the Jags or Rams teams are going to win anytime soon.
    I don't buy that at all. Soccer may be of greater interest to the large Mexican population, but football and baseball draw more money. As in the rest of the country, football trumps baseball by 3:1. Basketball is even less popular.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Stan Kroenke is merely trying to leverage St. Louis into rebuilding the downtown stadium to become more of a money-maker. His multi-gazzillion dollar proposal is similar to what Vancouver did with BC Place: replace the fixed roof with a movable one. Then all the luxury suite doo-dads, a Rams shopping center and office building complex (such as the Saints & Patriots did). Kroenke's 60 acre purchase is just typical of his line of work: property development. That land, properly developed, is too valuable to be dedicated to a 10 times annual football stadium. Inglewood isn't as attractive as Newport Beach or Malibu, but it's rather centrally located and better suited for other development.

I don't believe that there is any acceptable franchise relocation scenario in store except for moving the other two California teams:

• The Jaguars have turned around the attendance shortfalls by whacking the former Gator Bowl's capacity by covering seats - just like the Landover team -- by whacking 10,000+ seats. If the Jags were to relocate, their interest would more likely be towards London.
    • If the Bills were to not get a new stadium in western New York per the current push, they already have staked a territorial claim for large & wealthy Toronto, whose draw from Ontario and the trans-Canadian TV dollar impact should be competitive with LA's impact to domestic NFL riches.
    • Minneapolis is now out of the equation.
    • Miami has gotten a not-to-subtle message from Goodell that it faces expulsion from the Super Bowl rotation, so expect to see resolution of upgrading/doming Joe Robbie/Landshark whatever stadium or building a new one in the Ft Lauderdale-West Palm Beach area.
    • Tampa is perhaps the most vulnerable non-California team to relocation, but I believe that the Glazers would rather aim for the riches of London

As to LA's predicted sports interests:

I don't buy that at all. Soccer may be of greater interest to the large Mexican population, but football and baseball draw more money. As in the rest of the country, football trumps baseball by 3:1. Basketball is even less popular.
    You nailed it! The Brooklyn Nets built that same type of complex and had the most attended venue last year. Kroenke is a brilliant developer and is going to push and push to get the complex that he wants in St. Louis.

LA Fans deserve the Ram Rules...

Blog Entries

If it is the Rams the NFL will not have to realign the divisions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I feel like LA, similar to Jacksonville, is going to have a tough time regardless because there are three other teams (four if you consider Arizona) in fairly close proximity with each other.
    People from LA and SoCal are trendy. If a team moves there it will become a trend and people who know little about football or had minimum interest in football will go to the games, just because it is the cool thing to do.

It will probably not turn into a loud and proud crowd, but people will fill the stands.

But football doesn't trump baseball in Los Angeles and never has. If the Dodgers are relevant, they're the #1 team in the area. The Lakers are a close second. It flops positions if the Dodgers stink.

The Rams and Raiders were always at best #3 when they were there.

So put an NFL franchise there and they're competing for #3 with the Angels, Clippers, 2 NHL teams (Kings and Might Ducks), USC and UCLA football and UCLA Basketball before you ever start talking about soccer attendance.

There may be more money in football than any of the other sports, but there is a lot of competition for the sport dollar in that area.

Blog Entries

The Los Angeles Dudes. Logo on helmet is a surfboard. No need for a stadium, they'll play on the beach... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    LA Fans deserve the Ram Rules...

This is one of the most mind-boggling pieces of video I've ever seen - no so much because of the actual output, but because of the process that produced it. Between the fans, the team, the local media, the advertising firm that produced the ad and the campaign, all it would've taken is one person - just one person - to say: "Stop. This is madness."

It reminds me of the Star Trek episode "The Menagerie," in which a Federation ship of humans crashes on Talos IV, with a baby girl as the sole survivor. They save her life and nurse her back to recovery, but, since they'd never seen a human before, they didn't quite get it right.

Similarly, I can only surmise that the Rams saw football fans on TV, and tried to create some of their own without really knowing how to do it.

BS