Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Michael Oher meets a fan

Over at Reddit, a poster asked people to share their encounters with celebrities, good or bad. I read through some of them (Rachael Ray was a raging bitch. Surprised? No?) and saw one of the most "up-voted" stories included a description of an encounter with our own Michael Oher.

Here it is (link):

[–]Mongo1021 1442 points 3 hours ago*(last edited 1 hour ago)

Here are a few, and my favorite brush with celebrity is at the bottom :

Mick Fleetwood -- Very well spoken, friendly person. I was a reporter and interviewed him about a restaurant he was opening in Virginia.

Joan Rivers -- In person, off stage, she's a tiny lady, who is friendly, sweet and very personable. Reminded me of my mother.

B.B. King. -- Gracious and friendly. After every one of his shows, he will meet every person who lines up and waits by his tour bus. He was very flirty with the women (I'm a dude).

Ok, here's my favorite --

We adopted my son from foster care when he was nine. When he was five, he was taken from him parents, who were homeless, addicted the drugs, and all that goes with that.

Before we adopted him, he spent years bouncing from one crummy foster home to another.

When the movie, "The Blind Side" came out, it had a big emotional impact for my son, because in the movie, Oher was taken from his parents in a manner similar to what happened to my son.

Two years ago, in November, I wrote to the Ravens, told the story about Robbie, and asked if they could send me something signed and personalized from Oher to my son. I should mention that my son is one of the top distance runners in the state.

In time for Christmas, Oher's book came in the mail, signed from Oher to my son.

The present meant more to him than the iphone we purchased for him.

Then, in March, I got a call from Oher's agent.

The agent said that Michael was going to be in a nearby town, and Michael would like to meet Robbie. He was wondering if I could possibly bring my son to the signing event so that Michael could meet my son.

So I took him of course. As soon as we walked in, Michael saw my son and told him to wait in the back until the event was over. After about an hour of singing books, Michael had a long and personal conversation with my son. They talked about how my son can overcome challenges like college sports, how to handle his biological parents, and how to use his past as fuel.

We're Ravens fans now. :).

Here's a photo of my son with Michael Oher.

Edit -- since so many people liked the story, here's an album of my son. http://imgur.com/a/qJr9L
    As I've said many, many times on this forum, my favorite Ravens are the ones who are the best people. The ones who set the best examples for my children and for myself. So, Mike, this one's for you.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Re: Michael Oher meets a fan

I met LeeAnne and that was more fun, especially when she hugged me. It's Mista T's
    favorite story.

Blog Entries

I was at a BWWs not too long ago, and the "favorite team" convo came up with our waitress. Ofcourse it ended up that it was the Steelers. I said something about being a Ravens fan and she laughed and said she doesnt hate the Ravens or their fans... just their players :insane:. She suggested they were "thugs" or just bad people in general. Not the first time ive heard it but this also isnt the first time im hearing a story about how one of our players is even a better person than a player. I know the Ravens arent the only ones with stories like this, but i do love hearing them as often as I do.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I wish Oher was a better player so he could stay a Raven because he is a great locker room and community presence.

NFL is a business though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I wish Oher was a better player so he could stay a Raven because he is a great locker room and community presence.

Yup. I wished it worked out so we could keep all those guys, and there was a role where they could help. We are blessed to have Joe, Torrey, and Ray, who all walk the walk, too.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Oher's a nice guy. I hope some team signs him to a nice contract.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I was at a BWWs not too long ago, and the "favorite team" convo came up with our waitress. Ofcourse it ended up that it was the Steelers. I said something about being a Ravens fan and she laughed and said she doesnt hate the Ravens or their fans... just their players :insane:. She suggested they were "thugs" or just bad people in general. Not the first time ive heard it but this also isnt the first time im hearing a story about how one of our players is even a better person than a player. I know the Ravens arent the only ones with stories like this, but i do love hearing them as often as I do.
    This is such a tired, uninformed view of the Ravens. There def are many more teams with actual thugs than our team!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Great story!!
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    This is such a tired, uninformed view of the Ravens. There def are many more teams with actual thugs than our team!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    agreed. Not that id expect much more from a 18-22 year old waitress.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I have no way to know but I believe that 10 years from now we won't be reading about how Michael Oher lost all his money and is now auctioning his Super Bowl ring. This guy is a survivor. He knows all about tough times and isn't going back to them. Oher is going to have a career post NFL and will become a real success story.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Exactly. I thought he had so much promise to be one of those difference maker type players.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Oher's a nice guy. I hope some team signs him to a nice contract.
    Hopefully a division rival, so we can beat him like a drum.