Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 123
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay



    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It's a joke. Much like the video, which was a top rated show, at which many people laughed.
    Conformity has never been your thing so it's curious that this topic would bring it out.

    So if a bunch of people laugh at a negative stereotype, lets say of Black people and fried chicken, it's ok then?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #77
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Conformity has never been your thing so it's curious that this topic would bring it out.

    So if a bunch of people laugh at a negative stereotype, lets say of Black people and fried chicken, it's ok then?
    Depends.

    But most jokes are some what offensive or very often based off stereotypes. For example Tosh told a joke on a stand-up gig during the 2012 elections "How much do you have to hate black people to vote for a Mormon". That plays off two stereotypes and is quite funny. Is it "okay", I don't know but I laughed.

    EDIT: This is stereotype joke about Black people and Chicken, it's hilarious. I'm not sure it's technically a negative joke though.

    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 02-25-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  3. #78

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    People like to feign indignation. That is what these "stories" prove beyond doubt.




  4. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    People like to feign indignation. That is what these "stories" prove beyond doubt.
    You really think Elkington has a favorable view of the gay community?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Depends.

    But most jokes are some what offensive or very often based off stereotypes. For example Tosh told a joke on a stand-up gig during the 2012 elections "How much do you have to hate black people to vote for a Mormon". That plays off two stereotypes and is quite funny. Is it "okay", I don't know but I laughed.

    EDIT: This is stereotype joke about Black people and Chicken, it's hilarious. I'm not sure it's technically a negative joke though.

    Context is everything.

    A comedian making a joke that involves stereotypes is a little different than a PGA golfer tweeting about Sam in a derogatory manner, especially considering Sam is far from feminine side of the spectrum.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    BTW - I don't think it was funny Elkington called out Sam on twitter like that, I do think the joke was kinda funny though.

    As far as his view of the gay community (where is that by the way, San Fran? ) Hard to say based off one tweet, maybe he was just trying to be funny.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  7. #82

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You really think Elkington has a favorable view of the gay community?
    I have no idea what Elkington's views are on the gay community, the Jewish community, the pro football community, or community colleges. Nor do I care. Nor should anyone care. Let alone to the point where every media outlet and all the associated PC lemmings start caterwauling in unison about a dumb joke like it is some kind of "breaking" news.




  8. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I have no idea what Elkington's views are on the gay community, the Jewish community, the pro football community, or community colleges. Nor do I care. Nor should anyone care. Let alone to the point where every media outlet and all the associated PC lemmings start caterwauling in unison about a dumb joke like it is some kind of "breaking" news.
    Hyperbole much? I haven't even seen it on the news, let alone with the "breaking" splash all over it.

    While I agree with your general feelings about an overly sensitive media, when an established golfer makes joke in poor taste right when the topic of Sam is hot in the media, it's going to make the news. As it should.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Hyperbole much? I haven't even seen it on the news, let alone with the "breaking" splash all over it.

    While I agree with your general feelings about an overly sensitive media, when an established golfer makes joke in poor taste right when the topic of Sam is hot in the media, it's going to make the news. As it should.
    http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/1...ritical-tweets
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  10. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Shows he has horrible taste and tact.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  11. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Shows he has horrible taste and tact.
    Whilst this is true, he is explaining the intent behind his tweets. Which I think most would agree , ESPN please stop with Michael Sam.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #87

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Elkington has a history of making stupid tweets. This one is actually the least offensive in my opinion. Still, he shouldn't have tweeted that or be surprised when it pissed some people off.

    Now what Elkington had to say about Sams being given way too much media coverage is spot on. Sams is, barely, a mid-round type player who showed a remarkable lack of athletic ability at the combine. If he wasn't gay, none of us would know his name. I want my football focused on football. During combine coverage I want to see and hear football related news. What someone does in the bedroom is not football related news.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock




  13. #88

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Hyperbole much? I haven't even seen it on the news, let alone with the "breaking" splash all over it.

    While I agree with your general feelings about an overly sensitive media, when an established golfer makes joke in poor taste right when the topic of Sam is hot in the media, it's going to make the news. As it should.
    No, it shouldn't. Then again the "topic of Sam" shouldn't be "hot" either, except for the PC, lemming MSM trying to push an agenda.

    And the joke was innocuous, not even original, and the idea that I am supposed to be upset about it is absurd. Anyone who is acting upset about it, is either feigning injury or has issues, imo (the former is by far the most likely explanation).

    "Gays as effeminate" jokes are old news. And they exist because there is a kernel of truth to them (even if obviously not with Sam). One look at NBC parading around Johnny Weir is all it takes to understand the derivation of such jokes. Every sitcom contains similar jokes. As do stand-up routines.

    The bottom line is, the story, the associated "reactions," and the "reactions to the reactions" has moved fully into parody territory.




  14. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    No, it shouldn't. Then again the "topic of Sam" shouldn't be "hot" either, except for the PC, lemming MSM trying to push an agenda.

    And the joke was innocuous, not even original, and the idea that I am supposed to be upset about it is absurd. Anyone who is acting upset about it, is either feigning injury or has issues, imo (the former is by far the most likely explanation).

    "Gays as effeminate" jokes are old news. And they exist because there is a kernel of truth to them (even if obviously not with Sam). One look at NBC parading around Johnny Weir is all it takes to understand the derivation of such jokes. Every sitcom contains similar jokes. As do stand-up routines.

    The bottom line is, the story, the associated "reactions," and the "reactions to the reactions" has moved fully into parody territory.
    So watermelon jokes about Blacks are fine. Big nose jokes about Jews are ok too. After all, there may be a "kernel" of truth to it.

    Got it.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  15. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Now what Elkington had to say about Sams being given way too much media coverage is spot on. Sams is, barely, a mid-round type player who showed a remarkable lack of athletic ability at the combine. If he wasn't gay, none of us would know his name. I want my football focused on football. During combine coverage I want to see and hear football related news. What someone does in the bedroom is not football related news.
    Now this, I agree with. He should be given the same amount of attention as Terrence West, another mid-round slated pick.

    My issue was taking it to a level where he was using it to call Michael Sam a woman.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland