Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: BREAKING: Michael Sam is gay

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    People want to ask why this is a deal? Here's why...

Steve Elkington Verified account
    ‏@elkpga
    ESPN reporting Michael Sam is leading the handbag throw at NFL combine....
    No one else expected to throw today

I mean, granted, he's just a golfer, and a guy is entitled to his opinion...but clearly, there are people out there in sports that want to continue making the jokes and making this into a "being gay makes you a woman" stance
    It's not exclusive to sports. Frankly, I think it was kinda funny, just like this video below, which also takes that same stance but no outrage...

Sad that you find it funny, NC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Sad that you find it funny, NC.
    It's a joke. Much like the video, which was a top rated show, at which many people laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It's a joke. Much like the video, which was a top rated show, at which many people laughed.
    Conformity has never been your thing so it's curious that this topic would bring it out.

So if a bunch of people laugh at a negative stereotype, lets say of Black people and fried chicken, it's ok then?

Blog Entries

Conformity has never been your thing so it's curious that this topic would bring it out.

So if a bunch of people laugh at a negative stereotype, lets say of Black people and fried chicken, it's ok then?
    Depends.

But most jokes are some what offensive or very often based off stereotypes. For example Tosh told a joke on a stand-up gig during the 2012 elections "How much do you have to hate black people to vote for a Mormon". That plays off two stereotypes and is quite funny. Is it "okay", I don't know but I laughed.

EDIT: This is stereotype joke about Black people and Chicken, it's hilarious. I'm not sure it's technically a negative joke though.

Last edited by NCRAVEN; 02-25-2014 at 02:42 PM.

People like to feign indignation. That is what these "stories" prove beyond doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    People like to feign indignation. That is what these "stories" prove beyond doubt.
    You really think Elkington has a favorable view of the gay community?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Depends.

But most jokes are some what offensive or very often based off stereotypes. For example Tosh told a joke on a stand-up gig during the 2012 elections "How much do you have to hate black people to vote for a Mormon". That plays off two stereotypes and is quite funny. Is it "okay", I don't know but I laughed.

EDIT: This is stereotype joke about Black people and Chicken, it's hilarious. I'm not sure it's technically a negative joke though.

Context is everything.

A comedian making a joke that involves stereotypes is a little different than a PGA golfer tweeting about Sam in a derogatory manner, especially considering Sam is far from feminine side of the spectrum.

Blog Entries

BTW - I don't think it was funny Elkington called out Sam on twitter like that, I do think the joke was kinda funny though.

As far as his view of the gay community (where is that by the way, San Fran? :) ) Hard to say based off one tweet, maybe he was just trying to be funny.

You really think Elkington has a favorable view of the gay community?
    I have no idea what Elkington's views are on the gay community, the Jewish community, the pro football community, or community colleges. Nor do I care. Nor should anyone care. Let alone to the point where every media outlet and all the associated PC lemmings start caterwauling in unison about a dumb joke like it is some kind of "breaking" news.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I have no idea what Elkington's views are on the gay community, the Jewish community, the pro football community, or community colleges. Nor do I care. Nor should anyone care. Let alone to the point where every media outlet and all the associated PC lemmings start caterwauling in unison about a dumb joke like it is some kind of "breaking" news.
    Hyperbole much? I haven't even seen it on the news, let alone with the "breaking" splash all over it.

While I agree with your general feelings about an overly sensitive media, when an established golfer makes joke in poor taste right when the topic of Sam is hot in the media, it's going to make the news. As it should.

Blog Entries

Hyperbole much? I haven't even seen it on the news, let alone with the "breaking" splash all over it.

While I agree with your general feelings about an overly sensitive media, when an established golfer makes joke in poor taste right when the topic of Sam is hot in the media, it's going to make the news. As it should.
    http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/1...ritical-tweets