Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: SB rings auctioned off

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Thanks Luke... IMO that play was just as spectacular as Lewis tracking Barber down in the SB, but that play was more important. Starks overran the tackle and McNair might have scored if Sharper didn't dive and horsecollar him (at least would have gotten inside 10). If the Titans would have scored a TD on that drive... GAME OVER. Our offense was putrid that day and there was no chance of Dilfer driving the Ravens O to a tying TD.
    We are totally on the same page. If you ask your average knowledgeable Raven fan to name the top 10 plays in franchise history, you and I (and Jamie Sharper's relatives :ww:) are probably the only that would list it.

In my opinion, there is only one play in Raven history that, had it not been made, would have absolutely removed one of our two Championships. That's the Jacoby Jones play in Denver. 2nd place is the Mitchell/Washington blocked FG. If the Titans take a 13-10 lead there, I do not like the Ravens chances in the least.

The 2013 postseason had a lot of "what if" type plays in the DEN and SF game that MIGHT have resulted in no world championship had they not been made

-- Ellerbe running down Frank Gore to prevent a TD and saving the win (possibly the 2nd most underrated play in Ravens history)

---Yanda pushing Rice for the first down right before Tuckers winner in Denver (3rd most underrated play in Ravens history?)

--- The Flacco-to-Pitta for 24 yards on 3rd-and-13 from the 3 yard line early in overtime of the win in Denver (4th most underrated paly in Ravens history?) If the Ravens are punting with Koch's back on the end-line, Denver likely gets the ball around the 40-45 yard line in Ravens territory and is one first down away from Prater range.

--- The Jones KO return TD in the Super Bowl

---Flacco to Jones late in the first half.

---truthfully, there could be about 10-12 other plays in the Super Bowl, that had they not been made, the Ravens lose.

I think the Sharper tackle, although not the most glamorous play, might be the 3rd most important play in Ravens history. It's also worth noting that the Mitchell FG return TD and the Sharper McNair play were really the only two must-make plays that entire postseason. That Raven team was so dominant that it really didn't need many splash plays to be victorious. Never have I felt so secure in watching a team with a 7 point lead. That's why IMO the 2012 Ravens vs 2000 Ravens debate isn't very competitive.

Lastly, I'd like to say that the Sharper play went unrecalled in my memory for years and years. I remember watching it at the time and thinking "wow, what an incredible play", but it quickly slipped to the back of my mind because the very next play was the Mitchell FG return TD, which was far more dramatic. 2-3 years ago, when searching through Youtube videos in my opening week "get pumped up for the start of the season" routine, I found the Mitchell play and scrolled back on the video for a minute or so before the actual play, which brought the Sharper play back to memory for me. I think if that play hadn't immediately preceded the biggest play in the first 15 years of Ravens history, it's brilliance would have stood out so much more.

However, had Del Greco made the FG, it might have gone unnoticed altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    The show on the History Channel called THE PAWN SHOP in Vegas has an entire case of SB rings. A lot of players have hocked them over the years and usually because they need the money.
    It's called "Pawn Stars" and he only had one Super Bowl ring. It was a Patriots ring belonging to Brock Williams and he's already sold it.

Im having a hard time finding the Jamie Sharper play anywhere on the internet. Does anyone have a link to it? Until recently, there was a 6-8 part Youtube video of that entire game, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Even the Anthony Mitchell play can only be found as part of a season highlights section.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's called "Pawn Stars" and he only had one Super Bowl ring. It was a Patriots ring belonging to Brock Williams and he's already sold it.
    No man, he has a glass case with a lot of SB rings in there. I was wondering if he had any Baltimore rings and how much they were.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    No man, he has a glass case with a lot of SB rings in there. I was wondering if he had any Baltimore rings and how much they were.
    They're not all Super Bowl rings. He has NCAA championship rings, MLB championship rings, etc ....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...em-has-a-story

Blog Entries

OK, thanks man. I thought they were all SB rings.

Anyway, here's the camera man from spy gate trying to sell his SB ring. The camera man
    gets a ring?

A piece of shameful Patriots history is up for sale that would be perfect for a super-rich New York Jets fan to buy and rub in the face of any friends in New England. The man caught filming the Jets’ defensive signals in 2007, Matt Estrella, is selling his Super Bowl XXXIX ring

http://nesn.com/2014/02/spygate-came...per-bowl-ring/

7. Re: SB rings auctioned off

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    Regardless of why Sharper wanted his ring sold, I'm just shocked that Berry's ring cost more than Sharpers.
    One article mentioned that Berry's ring was the first one from last year's Super Bowl to hit the open market. I'd imagine that that drove the bidding up, because no one outside the organization had had a chance to own a legitimate (i.e. non-replica) ring before. Until someone else associated with the team sells, it's a one of a kind item, in a sense.

Since the article didn't mention Sharper's ring as being the first to hit the market from the 2000 Super Bowl, I'm guessing that means there have been several, so the people who really really want one and can afford it may already have them and wouldn't be in the auction to drive up the bidding, or wouldn't be willing to bid as much for a second or third ring.

The weird thing is that if you want a Super Bowl ring, you can have the official jeweler make you an exact replica using the same materials, I think, and it would be expensive, but not nearly as much as buying a former player's ring goes for. In a sense, I'm not sure there's much of a difference- I mean, either way, you didn't win it, and if you get one made for yourself, you can have your own name engraved instead of the name of a random fringe player (In the case of Berry). I've also got to think there may be some small sense of guilt involved in buying such a personally meaningful item from the guy who won it and is probably only selling it because he's down on his luck financially when you could just buy a replica.

This is a lot of money, though. I can't even wrap my head around someone being able to afford to buy a replica, let alone an actual player's ring. It's totally out of any financial ball park I can even distantly relate to. Maybe when you have that kind of money and everything you've ever wanted in terms of usable items, you start buying things that are perceived as rare or one of a kind so you can show them off at parties or whatever. It's probably the same market as people who buy real dinosaur fossils or record breaking home run baseballs, they likely want something that money can't always buy, that someone who wins the lottery tomorrow or makes a billion dollars can't necessarily exactly replicate the way you could a mansion, vacation homes, luxury cars, etc..

This is a lot of money, though. I can't even wrap my head around someone being able to afford to buy a replica, let alone an actual player's ring. It's totally out of any financial ball park I can even distantly relate to.
    This is how I perceive Berry's ring to be, basically as a replica, since he wasn't a contributor at all, to me its like having my cats name on the ring, rendering it worthless.

I have to respect the person who dropped that kind of cash just to be the first to have that ring. However When other rings go out on the market, with players who have actually played in XLVII the money spent on that ring wont be anything close to what they initially payed for it.

I'm sure, just like in Storage Wars, someone said after the auction, That guy got bid up.

More people would be impressed if you showed off Jamie's SB ring, at least I would.

If I were putting up money, I'd want the 1958 championship ring. Greatest Game Ever Played
    So true, that's a show piece!
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Blog Entries

The Pawn Shop guy said he isn't selling his NE SB ring for less than $100,000 so I wonder if he got it. He made a fortune whatever he got.

Brock Williams was supposed to pick it up after using it as collateral for a loan of about $3600 or something like that. He had 120 days to get it or it belongs to the shop by law. He never picked it up which meant he probably couldn't pay back the loan plus interest.

Lawrence Taylor auctioned his SB ring after falling on hard times and going to jail. A bid was up to $30,000.

According to a Green Bay Press-Gazette story, Paul Hornung's Super Bowl I ring sold for about $40,000 in 2002. Offensive lineman Steve Wright sold his Super Bowl I ring for $73,409 last May. Elijah Pitts' Super Bowl II ring once sold for approximately $30,000, although the diamonds in that ring were replaced with fakes.

In August, Fuzzy Thurston's Super Bowl II ring was auctioned to pay back taxes. It fetched more than $50,000.

Another player gave his to charity to pay to stop human trafficking around the world and to help the homeless.

Two Squeelers rings from the 70s sold on Ebay for $60,000.

Like I said, there's a lot of rings out there. One employee of a SB team wanted the cash instead of the ring-lol as rings just don't mean much to some people. Jim Palmer said there was a pitcher who came in after the season started. They won the World Series so the team voted to give him a ring or a new tv set. Palmer said he opted for the TV set. ILMAO
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-15-2014 at 04:38 AM.