Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2014 Ravens Defense

Obviously we are all looking for significant progress with the offense given our coaching changes and plans for player investment this offseason.

What kind of progress can we expect on defense?

If we are going to play a vanilla D - shouldn't we be in a 4-3 since we aren't fooling anyone with exotic blitzes out of the 3-4? Upshaw, Williams, Ngata, Mcphee seems like a solid line on 1st and 2nd down with dumervil coming in on long downs (assuming we lose Suggs to the cap). I know we aren't going to change - but I miss our 2000 ravens' 4-3....

On a different note, obviously we need a true free safety. Any thoughts on what our biggest need is looking to be in the front 7?

Perhaps excellent pass rushers that can drop back into soft zones

Blog Entries

Re: 2014 Ravens Defense

I don't expect the scheme to change much from last year. The big changes will be in personnel. Will Suggs be on the team, being the biggest. Expect different players in familiar roles.

Blog Entries

Watching the playoffs, I saw a lot of DLinemen dropping into coverage. Even potroast did it for Denver against the Pats. It's just a matchup game

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I don't see much changing. While this is no longer your father's Ravens defense, the real problems of the team exist on the offensive side of the ball. We have some young ascending defensive players that should contribute next year, and while I expect us to devote the draft mainly to the offense, I can see us snagging at least two new defenders.

As for our biggest defensive need, my opinion is improving the pass rush and obtaining better ILB's. I can see Arthur Brown taking a huge step forward next year, and if we release Jameel and retain Daryl Smith, we should automatically improve in that area.

The biggest change outside of free safety is that one or two out of John Simon, Pernell McPhee, Courtney Upshaw, Kapron Lewis and Adrian Hamilton is going to have to emerge opposite Dumervil.

You can't keep drafting/converting DE's to edge rushers and not giving them significant PT. I think the team thinks Suggs best days are behind him and they'll move him out. If one of the young guys doesn't step up in TC then they may get a vet (say Kameron Wimbley if he's cut by the Tits) that has something to prove and a little juice left.

This team is going to be about signing key offensive talent and drafting young risers on defense.

As much as they've tried to save by not paying receiving and blocking talent because it's more expensive then most defensive positions they can no longer get away with it.

Blog Entries

I'm expecting Jimmy Smith to step up a lot more into a leadership role. I'm also expecting a better Matt Elam and Arthur Brown.

One thing that is going to be hard to accept is there is a very real possibility that Suggs is playing for some other team next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I didn't see anyone posting about Arthur Brown (ILB) or Brandon Williams (NT/DT). IMO they can be a defensive force, along with Elam moving to SS, to upgrade the Ravens "D". Add Lewis-Moore (DE) to the mix and although we cannot predict it, I think the Ravens defense will be better in 2014 (Pees aside) ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I didn't see anyone posting about Arthur Brown (ILB) or Brandon Williams (NT/DT). IMO they can be a defensive force, along with Elam moving to SS, to upgrade the Ravens "D". Add Lewis-Moore (DE) to the mix and although we cannot predict it, I think the Ravens defense will be better in 2014 (Pees aside) ... Bc
    Good point about Lewis-Moore. I had actually forgotten about him.
    Just read this article from January about him -

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/201...e-arthur-jones

Definitely interested to see what BWilliams and KLM can bring to the table next year. Would love to see Ngata not have to play nose.

Blog Entries

I did Bc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I mentioned Brown and Williams as candidates I feel can step forward next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I did Bc. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damn you wicked You beat me by one minute. Just check out our post times... Bc

Blog Entries

OMG, Pees has/had a resume before Harbaugh made him DC, and will scheme accordingly. Hell, he would have dropped LT into coverage.
    There's no rookie QB, (McCown), ouch, below average QB, (Campbell), double ouch as Offensive player of the week, or a QB that can't walk, (Batch), quad-triple ouch, that Pees can't, (and hasn't), turned into an Unitas or Montana.
    Expecting otherwise, why?
    "But Pees is very good statistically"