Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OT: Anthony Gonzalez says Ryan NOT elite

"But he's not elite" is what is quoted in the interview. After that just politician talk, you know, so Ryans feelings aren't hurt. It an old management style, tell the truth first, then say something good to make the person feel better. That way you don't come across as a hating person.

Context is everything. LOL Is that like pick and choose what you want to believe? Twist someones words to make it sound different. You know Harbaugh has that problem with MP doing that.
    Last edited by lovefootball; 02-07-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That was my point. He didn't *quite* say he wasn't elite.

Context is everything.
    He said "hes not elite."

saying hes close or will get there doesnt change that he said he isnt Elite currently, so it was what he said, he just sugar coated it.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    He said "hes not elite."

saying hes close or will get there doesnt change that he said he isnt Elite currently, so it was what he said, he just sugar coated it.
    it's a semantics thing. Making the statement "Tony Gonzalez says Matt Ryan is not elite" is factually correct, but his implication is that he probably will be soon. Taking the statement at face value, people would infer that Gonzalez is throwing him under the bus and saying he's not a great QB.

And honestly, how many analysts rank him as Top 5 in the league? He's consistently ranked below Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers. Maybe he's number 5, or maybe it's a guy like Rivers. But no one would rank him above #5.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

What is everyone's feeling on this part of what he said:

"Maybe, if the team is hot in November, 9-2 or something, I could come back for the last two months."

My feelings is the Falcons should tell him to shove it. So if the team was say, 6-5, would he come back then? If you want to be on the team, be on it for ALL of it, not just hop on the bandwagon because the team is doing well and you want a nice cushy seat for a playoff run.

That statement doesn't sit well with me. At all. It'd crack the shit out of me if he hops on at 9-2 and they lose 5 straight and miss the playoffs.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    it's a semantics thing. Making the statement "Tony Gonzalez says Matt Ryan is not elite" is factually correct, but his implication is that he probably will be soon. Taking the statement at face value, people would infer that Gonzalez is throwing him under the bus and saying he's not a great QB.

And honestly, how many analysts rank him as Top 5 in the league? He's consistently ranked below Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers. Maybe he's number 5, or maybe it's a guy like Rivers. But no one would rank him above #5.
    Exactly.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

I guess we can call that semantics, but i dont agree that its not what he said. His intent certainly wasnt to call him bad but i think its pretty clear that he intended to say hes not one of the best either and needs to improve to be labeled such.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

What is everyone's feeling on this part of what he said:

"Maybe, if the team is hot in November, 9-2 or something, I could come back for the last two months."

My feelings is the Falcons should tell him to shove it. So if the team was say, 6-5, would he come back then? If you want to be on the team, be on it for ALL of it, not just hop on the bandwagon because the team is doing well and you want a nice cushy seat for a playoff run.

That statement doesn't sit well with me. At all. It'd crack the shit out of me if he hops on at 9-2 and they lose 5 straight and miss the playoffs.
    my opinoin of him has certainly dropped. Not at all the player that he publicly makes himself out to be. he may be the GOAT, but kind of makes me happier that hes not getting that ring since hes not a team player.
    -JAB

I guess we can call that semantics, but i dont agree that its not what he said. His intent certainly wasnt to call him bad but i think its pretty clear that he intended to say hes not one of the best either and needs to improve to be labeled such.
    Isn't that what we are saying too?

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

When I first saw the title I thought this was about the WR that use to play for the Dolts. I was like damn what beef does he have with a QB from another team that wasnt even in his division? LMAO.

If Tony G wants to come back with however many months left in the year that's his call. Hes a future HOFer and hes earned that right. I just hope this ring chasing doesn't put a tarnish on his career..... hes been too good and classy for that. At least come back for a FULL year and dont just come in late for the ride and shoehorn your way to a ring.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Blog Entries

Isn't that what we are saying too?
    Im not sure how "thats not what he said" comes into play.
    -JAB

Im not sure how "thats not what he said" comes into play.
    You left out *quite*, which was in my original post.

Blog Entries

You left out *quite*, which was in my original post.
    are you implying the OP was suggesting that Gonzalez said hes not good, rather than not elite?

I guess im not sure why youre saying "thats not (quite) what he said", when nobody really was saying anything other than what he did and what apparently we agree that he intended.
    -JAB