Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Collins

Blog Entries

Nick Collins

Nick Collins made 3 consecutive pro bowls from 2008-2010, then in 2011 he suffered an awful injury and retired. Now he is eyeing a return to the NFL, and if the FO is interested in him he could be a great fit. He plays free safety and is very athletic and got a lot of interceptions.

His career stats are: 417 tackles, 1 sack, 63 passes defensed, 21 interceptions, 6 forced fumbles, and 4 touchdowns.

http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/s...-return-020414

Blog Entries

Re: Nick Collins

No.

His neck injury was pretty serious. Sucks that his career was cut short, but you can't fuck around with neck injuries...especially a position that requires you be able to come up and lower the boom.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    No.

His neck injury was pretty serious. Sucks that his career was cut short, but you can't fuck around with neck injuries...especially a position that requires you be able to come up and lower the boom.
    we thought jameel's career was over b/c of his neck injury, but he was able to recover. i just hope nick collins can do the same

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravens47 View Post
    we thought jameel's career was over b/c of his neck injury, but he was able to recover. i just hope nick collins can do the same
    I don't think you're understanding the differences in their neck injuries.

McClain had a spinal cord contusion, which essentially is a bruise IIRC. It required no surgery, just rest and physical therapy.

Collins had a herniated disk at the base of his neck which required surgery and having multiple discs fused together.

Doctors all told Collins this injury would prevent him from playing in the future. While there was concern about McClain, his prognosis was much better than what Collins had.

And this isn't even considering that Collins hasn't played since September 2011...nearly 3 years ago. He will be 31 this year.

I sincerely doubt any team would even bring him in for a tryout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I don't think you're understanding the differences in their neck injuries.

McClain had a spinal cord contusion, which essentially is a bruise IIRC. It required no surgery, just rest and physical therapy.

Collins had a herniated disk at the base of his neck which required surgery and having multiple discs fused together.

Doctors all told Collins this injury would prevent him from playing in the future. While there was concern about McClain, his prognosis was much better than what Collins had.

And this isn't even considering that Collins hasn't played since September 2011...nearly 3 years ago. He will be 31 this year.

I sincerely doubt any team would even bring him in for a tryout.

if a team gives him a shot he could be gold for them. b/c if he is as healthy as he is saying, he could be gold for the team that signs him

Blog Entries

No owner or GM wants to deal with the PR nightmare that would ensue if they signed Collins and he really injured himself to the point of paralysis or something.

He was an outstanding player, but he should really listen to his doctor's advice.

Blog Entries

This would be like if Ed Reed walked away from football in 2009 with his nerve impingement, then in 2012 told us he wanted to come back. The nerve impingement is not as serious, but again, playing with fire and doctors won't really clear that from future DEVASTATING injuries.

Sorry, someone else can roll the dice on Collins. I'd rather not screw around with that neck injury. If he was smart, he'd stay away from football and make sure he doesn't make that neck injury WAY worse.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

No owner or GM wants to deal with the PR nightmare that would ensue if they signed Collins and he really injured himself to the point of paralysis or something.

He was an outstanding player, but he should really listen to his doctor's advice.

:word As someone who has suffered a neck injury that ruined my college career I would not ever advocate my team to even try someone with this kind of injury.

Pretty obvious why it should be pass
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    This would be like if Ed Reed walked away from football in 2009 with his nerve impingement, then in 2012 told us he wanted to come back. The nerve impingement is not as serious, but again, playing with fire and doctors won't really clear that from future DEVASTATING injuries.

Sorry, someone else can roll the dice on Collins. I'd rather not screw around with that neck injury. If he was smart, he'd stay away from football and make sure he doesn't make that neck injury WAY worse.
    Agreed. Ed shied away from tackling because of his injury. Collins has to be even more careful. I dont understand why he wants to return. It is not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Agreed. Ed shied away from tackling because of his injury. Collins has to be even more careful. I dont understand why he wants to return. It is not worth the risk.
    The average NFL player is broke within three years of retirement. This is all about the $$$.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
    The average NFL player is broke within three years of retirement. This is all about the $$$.
    :word

I wouldn't touch Collins with a 10ft pole. 31 and coming off a serious neck injury, you know the one that has kept him from playing the last 3 season. He doesn't have anything left in the tank in my opinion. The ravens don't have the luxury of holding a roster spot for someone like Collins.