Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: No wonder it was a blowout

Playing man and sitting on the underneath has been known to everyone for a while. San Diego seemed to have him pretty well figured out, but didn't quite have the horses to pull it off.

Problem is, few teams have the combination of the coverage ability to make it work, along with enough up-the-middle pressure to prevent him from hitting something deeper on a busted coverage or what have you.

I know his stats held up over the course of the season. But watching him play, Manning did not have the velocity on the ball in the SB that he had in the opener against the Ravens. In fact, that was some of the weakest throwing I've seen from a pro QB since the days of Cade McNown, short-lived noodle-arm QB of the Bears. Even still, he is still good enough to rip apart just about every defense in the NFL. Just not a fast, swarming, killer defense like Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Playing man and sitting on the underneath has been known to everyone for a while. San Diego seemed to have him pretty well figured out, but didn't quite have the horses to pull it off.

Problem is, few teams have the combination of the coverage ability to make it work, along with enough up-the-middle pressure to prevent him from hitting something deeper on a busted coverage or what have you.

I know his stats held up over the course of the season. But watching him play, Manning did not have the velocity on the ball in the SB that he had in the opener against the Ravens. In fact, that was some of the weakest throwing I've seen from a pro QB since the days of Cade McNown, short-lived noodle-arm QB of the Bears. Even still, he is still good enough to rip apart just about every defense in the NFL. Just not a fast, swarming, killer defense like Seattle.
    It's not like he was ripping off 60-yarders against us in the opener. He threw 7 TDs, but one was on a screen pass. I'm guessing at least four more were less than 10 yard throws.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    It's not like he was ripping off 60-yarders against us in the opener. He threw 7 TDs, but one was on a screen pass. I'm guessing at least four more were less than 10 yard throws.
    Don't remind me.

Just saying, in Sept you have to respect the deep ball. By December and after, not so.

San Diego played them twice late in the year and sat and sat and sat on the underneath. They let him have everything he wanted over the top, and he didn't seriously try them. New England had held them in check the first time, but the second time, Talib got hurt, which meant they didn't have the horses to play man from that point on. Despite that they still only gave up 26.

Like I said though, just because you can see it coming, you still need the guys to matchup man for man in the secondary. Without that, nothing matters. He will destroy you with 6 yard throws all day long.

Blog Entries

NFL Playbook did a great analysis of the SB. I only caught part of the show, but it was great. Basically reaffirmed with what I saw live. Seattle was just sitting on all those short crossing routes. At times, they were rotating a safety down to fill the void where usually the Broncos would have a man running wide open. Seahawks defense played a hell of a game. They took away all of Peyton's bread and butter plays, and Peyton didn't make any plays down the field.

wonder if any Ravens D ever did that and kept it secret?

I always felt that Rahim Morris' under play of the F-bomb last year was from practicing against Peyton's arm all year and not realizing how far Flacco could throw.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    NFL Playbook did a great analysis of the SB. I only caught part of the show, but it was great. Basically reaffirmed with what I saw live. Seattle was just sitting on all those short crossing routes. At times, they were rotating a safety down to fill the void where usually the Broncos would have a man running wide open. Seahawks defense played a hell of a game. They took away all of Peyton's bread and butter plays, and Peyton didn't make any plays down the field.
    Inside the NFL did a good overview also with a lot of sideline audio. Nothing special and no mention of hand signals, just let them catch it then punish them. And they really got pressure on Manning, he didn't have a chance. Several times he came to the sideline and said "what happened"

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    wonder if any Ravens D ever did that and kept it secret?

I always felt that Rahim Morris' under play of the F-bomb last year was from practicing against Peyton's arm all year and not realizing how far Flacco could throw.
    I don't think most teams realized just how far he could throw.

Cool Re: No wonder it was a blowout

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    It's possible. Jimmy Smith said he cracked KAPs code last year at the end of the SB when they were close to the goal line. He tapped the back of his helmet - a signal to Crabtree. Jimmy said he knew exactly where he was going and jammed him at the line while KAP over threw him anyway because he was being blitzed by Ellerbe but it is possible to crack the code.

Jimmy said he watched the film of all KAPs games and knew the hand signals.

Score one for Jimmy and the CBs coach.
    BS x 2!!!!
    A) Manning -Seahawks got a rush on manning even though he got rid of ball quick. plus they sat on short routes....pass rush + take away short throws/hot routes = Destruction....Seahawks played perfectly... Sherman is a total BSer.... everyone knows now his post game blowup was staged...hes great but will do anything for attention....

B) Jimmy Smith- Kappernick does not read any part of the defense...watch him play he only has two routes to throw to and then just runs around.... thats why every pass is a 97 mph fastball he cant read a defense or anticipate windows... Plus he doesnt make many audibles at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post

Agreed. It really seems like his throws become weaker as the season goes on. We saw that in the playoffs last year. Bronco fans bitch about Fox settling for OT but maybe he knew they didnt have time to dink and dunk. The Ravens certainly didnt seem concerned with Manning beating them deep in that playoff game last year.

Blog Entries

Manning had some wide open receivers in that game; problem was he didn't have time to do anything but show the quick routes. Their personnel made it happen, not every team can do it.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!