Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: You think Ozzie will get us back to the Superbowl?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The defense is very conservative. Every single player on that defense just plays their role perfectly, and knows exactly what to do. I think Dean Pees would call an equally good defense (not saying Pees is good or anything).

As for Chancellor, I doubt he's on anything extremely bad, but I was just pointing out how much of a freak of nature that guy is.
    No doubt about that.

He is what many thought Taylor Mays should have been.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    I mean IDK. If we could find a gem to play FS either in the draft or free agency to add to Jimmy, Elam, and Webb...we could have a back line to compete with the Legion of Boom.

Reinforce the offensive line and RBs and we'll be fine. Flacco doesn't turn into a pussy on the big stage like Manning does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dont even compare us with the LOB. The only way that would happen is if we get that FS u were saying and he happens to be as good as ed reed was and elam turns into polamalu.

i really don't think we have much of a chance to get to the super bowl next year simply because we have no identity as a team. The FO doesn't know if we should become a offensive team (Denver) or a run first team with great defense (Seattle)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, I think we found a gem in Marlon Brown. If he can bulk up a bit and stay healthy, I think he is easily a 60-80 reception player for an entire season.

I do agree about the Ravens really need to get more out of their younger guys; especially on defense. I say that because they've invested quite a bit of the past few drafts into the defensive side of the ball.

Pernell McPhee, Brandon Williams, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Art Brown, DeAngelo Tyson, Asa Jackson, Chykie Brown, John Simon, Courtney Upshaw...

It is time for those cats to start stepping up and making impact plays.

Marcus Smith, the LB/MVP of last night's game, was a 7th round draft pick out of Southern Cal. He was a 230lb linebacker and was essentially an afterthought by many teams.

Other than Earl Thomas and Bruce Irvin, pretty much everyone on that Seahawks' defense was a mid-to-low round pick. Kam Chancellor was a 5th round pick. Sherman was a 5th round pick. Byron Maxwell was a 6th rounder. Brandon Mebane was a 3rd rounder. Bobby Wagner was a 2nd rounder. KJ Wright was a 4th rounder. Red Bryant was a 4th rounder.

Just shows you what coaching can do.
    That's exactly why the Seahawks have been so good, they've just had an unbelievable amount of hits in the lower rounds, and all of those players have developed so quickly and to an elite standard. I think another issue is, when you look at those players, they are very athletically gifted players, even coming out of college, they were all very fast physical players. I think the Ravens over the years have been a little conservative in drafting certain players. While our later rd players have been pretty good and nice picks, none of them are very gifted physical players, and are more role players in the NFL. The Ravens should start taking more chances on these freaks, because we do have some decent defensive coaches that can develop players. The problem is, guys like McPhee or John Simon are likely never going to be premium pass rushers in the NFL because of their physical limitations and there is only so much coaching you can do with those guys. Taking a 6'3 safety or a 6'3 corner back that are raw in college, but knowing how to develop them could land you an all pro player because of their ceiling. I'd say guys like Arthur Brown, and Asa Jackson are the closest type of players that the Seahawks have drafted over the years, only time will tell if they will be good. Art Brown is similar to Bobby Wagner, but you need to put Brown on the field if he's ever going to live up to his potential.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravens47 View Post
    dont even compare us with the LOB. The only way that would happen is if we get that FS u were saying and he happens to be as good as ed reed was and elam turns into polamalu.

i really don't think we have much of a chance to get to the super bowl next year simply because we have no identity as a team. The FO doesn't know if we should become a offensive team (Denver) or a run first team with great defense (Seattle)
    Such a narrow minded way of looking at things. I don't think any FO in the NFL looks at things that way this early in the offseason.

Blog Entries

Yea, that Seattle defense is nasty. They're going to have a tough, tough, tough time keeping them all together though. Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman, Bobby Wagner, and so on.

They're going to have to make some tough decisions this off-season too because Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Golden Tate, Zach Miller, and Doug Baldwin are all UFA's.
    Cliff Avril has a year left on his deal IIRC, and I'm not sure if Baldwin is an UFA or not. Zach Miller isn't a FA either, but he will be released, and he can get his ass over to Baltimore.

Blog Entries

Cliff Avril has a year left on his deal IIRC, and I'm not sure if Baldwin is an UFA or not. Zach Miller isn't a FA either, but he will be released, and he can get his ass over to Baltimore.
    Baldwin is a Restricted Free Agent which means he's obviously coming back. Miller's big salary year was 2013. He's actually a lot cheaper going forward so they might keep him.

Blog Entries

That's exactly why the Seahawks have been so good, they've just had an unbelievable amount of hits in the lower rounds, and all of those players have developed so quickly and to an elite standard. I think another issue is, when you look at those players, they are very athletically gifted players, even coming out of college, they were all very fast physical players. I think the Ravens over the years have been a little conservative in drafting certain players. While our later rd players have been pretty good and nice picks, none of them are very gifted physical players, and are more role players in the NFL. The Ravens should start taking more chances on these freaks, because we do have some decent defensive coaches that can develop players. The problem is, guys like McPhee or John Simon are likely never going to be premium pass rushers in the NFL because of their physical limitations and there is only so much coaching you can do with those guys. Taking a 6'3 safety or a 6'3 corner back that are raw in college, but knowing how to develop them could land you an all pro player because of their ceiling. I'd say guys like Arthur Brown, and Asa Jackson are the closest type of players that the Seahawks have drafted over the years, only time will tell if they will be good. Art Brown is similar to Bobby Wagner, but you need to put Brown on the field if he's ever going to live up to his potential.
    your 100% right about the ravens not taking chances in later rounds. This past year I thought we should definitely draft Tyraan Mathieu b/c he was a playmaker at LSU. And guess what, the cardinals took a chance on him and now they found their FS of the future and then some. Our drafting in the past 2-3 years have not been very good. Since 2011, we have drafted only one elite player and thats Jimmy Smith. Sure we have got impact players such as KO, pierce, upshaw, elam, and mcphee. But none of them will be great players in the NFL (Elam being an exception). This year's draft IMO will determine our future, if we have a great draft we will be contending for a super bowl for the next 5-7 years or so. If we fail this draft, we are so fucked. We need young stars now, and I think there are plenty in this draft.

Praying Ozzie nails this draft

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Baldwin is a Restricted Free Agent which means he's obviously coming back. Miller's big salary year was 2013. He's actually a lot cheaper going forward so they might keep him.
    They can save $5M by cutting him IIRC. Seattle are right at the salary cap limit, so they're obviously going to have to make some tough choices on some of their players. Red Bryant is another guy too look out for.

Blog Entries

Such a narrow minded way of looking at things. I don't think any FO in the NFL looks at things that way this early in the offseason.
    The FO didn't know our identity this past offseason and it clearly cost us

Blog Entries

IMO the problem with McPhee is that he is a 3-technique/5-technique defensive end/under tackle playing (essentially) a 7 or 8-technique outside linebacker position. We have a lot of guys playing out of position IMO. John Simon seems like he could be a good rotational SAM linebacker, but I agree that he probably won't get you much more than 5 sacks per season.

I look at a player like Red Bryant and am just thoroughly impressed with how versatile he is and how the Seahawks aren't afraid to line him up as a DT, DE, and a wide-9 pass rusher. The guy is 340lbs! I think Bryant is so damn underrated. To me, Red Bryant is the epitome of coaching and how being creative can help give a defensive unit different looks and amplify a player's strengths.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

IMO the problem with McPhee is that he is a 3-technique/5-technique defensive end/under tackle playing (essentially) a 7 or 8-technique outside linebacker position. We have a lot of guys playing out of position IMO. John Simon seems like he could be a good rotational SAM linebacker, but I agree that he probably won't get you much more than 5 sacks per season.

I look at a player like Red Bryant and am just thoroughly impressed with how versatile he is and how the Seahawks aren't afraid to line him up as a DT, DE, and a wide-9 pass rusher. The guy is 340lbs! I think Bryant is so damn underrated. To me, Red Bryant is the epitome of coaching and how being creative can help give a defensive unit different looks and amplify a player's strengths.
    Being creative is not in the vocabulary of ravens coaches

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravens47 View Post
    Being creative is not in the vocabulary of ravens coaches
    That is true. What you see is what you get. There is no Rex Ryan on this staff. However if you execute you can still win even without the creativity.