Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: I can understand why John Harbaugh places such an emphasis on 'Character'.

The Ravens Organization is a First Class organization, and character is one player attribute that the collective Ravens organization all endorse, and that starts at the top! Harbs would never have been hired had Biscuit not thought Harbs was a class individual, first and foremost - Biscuit did not get to where is today by hiring 'dorks'.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Character isn't a simple equation...

First, there's off the field character. This absolutely must be considered. Case in point, guy like Josh Gordon. Guy has talent out the ass. But, he's one slip-up away from a year long suspension, in just his 3rd year. Same as Asa Jackson. They don't have to be choir boys, but you need a guy who's going to be smart about the way he handles himself outside of the team. Otherwise, he never gets a chance to contribute to the team.

Then, there is the on the field character traits:

- Working with others - Occasionally, yes, we need a guy like a Derrick Mason or Anquan Boldin who gets fired up and challenges his teammates. But the outbursts Dez Bryant has can drive a wedge in locker room relationships. If it happens once or twice, not a big deal, but if it keeps happening, that's a problem, and your QB not getting along with you would only make it worse

- Committment - Dez Bryant walked off the field with 1 minute and change after Romo threw the pick. Yeah, I get it, he's upset. That's bush league. What happens if there's a fluke turnover and now Romo has a minute to win the game. Where's Dez tho? Either in the locker room fuming, or busting ass down the tunnel trying to get back. Not what you want. Stay and sulk on the sideline with your teammates.

- Work ethic - It's not enough to just be physically gifted. We've had plenty of super tall WRs in here, how have they fared? We've seen plenty of guys good enough on physical ability to be good, but without dedicating themselves to improving their craft, they will never be great. It's inspiring to hear a guy like Torrey, talking about how close he came to the 1200 yard mark for a franchise record and saying he should've had that in the bag well before Week 17, just needs to improve himself. Didn't talk about the system, the QB, etc, he talks about HIMSELF being what needs to improve. ACCOUNTABILITY.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Character isn't a simple equation...

First, there's off the field character. This absolutely must be considered. Case in point, guy like Josh Gordon. Guy has talent out the ass. But, he's one slip-up away from a year long suspension, in just his 3rd year. Same as Asa Jackson. They don't have to be choir boys, but you need a guy who's going to be smart about the way he handles himself outside of the team. Otherwise, he never gets a chance to contribute to the team.

Then, there is the on the field character traits:

- Working with others - Occasionally, yes, we need a guy like a Derrick Mason or Anquan Boldin who gets fired up and challenges his teammates. But the outbursts Dez Bryant has can drive a wedge in locker room relationships. If it happens once or twice, not a big deal, but if it keeps happening, that's a problem, and your QB not getting along with you would only make it worse

- Committment - Dez Bryant walked off the field with 1 minute and change after Romo threw the pick. Yeah, I get it, he's upset. That's bush league. What happens if there's a fluke turnover and now Romo has a minute to win the game. Where's Dez tho? Either in the locker room fuming, or busting ass down the tunnel trying to get back. Not what you want. Stay and sulk on the sideline with your teammates.

- Work ethic - It's not enough to just be physically gifted. We've had plenty of super tall WRs in here, how have they fared? We've seen plenty of guys good enough on physical ability to be good, but without dedicating themselves to improving their craft, they will never be great. It's inspiring to hear a guy like Torrey, talking about how close he came to the 1200 yard mark for a franchise record and saying he should've had that in the bag well before Week 17, just needs to improve himself. Didn't talk about the system, the QB, etc, he talks about HIMSELF being what needs to improve. ACCOUNTABILITY.
    agreed

Blog Entries
    As scallywag pointed out, there's a difference between a bad guy off the field to a bad guy on the field. Of course you can be both, but I wouldn't say that Rolando McClain for example was a bad guy on the field, yet he's actually almost killed people irl.

I'm a big fan of players who are aggressive, and live their lives on the line, on the field. It can lead to fines and flags, but they can also make huge plays at key times, like Pollard did vs NE. You can argue that Ray Lewis was a bad man on the field who was the greatest ILB to ever play the game.

The off the field character issue is irrelevant to the actual game, and it's always a huge red flag when they've had major issues in college or in the NFL.

I loved guys with the mindset of Anquan.

Never went over the line, but didn't take crap from anybody... gave the offense a little swagger.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    The Ravens Organization is a First Class organization, and character is one player attribute that the collective Ravens organization all endorse, and that starts at the top! Harbs would never have been hired had Biscuit not thought Harbs was a class individual, first and foremost - Biscuit did not get to where is today by hiring 'dorks'.
    Ok using that argument, do the Ravens draft Jamal Lewis using this model? Or Chris McCallister? Do they bring in Goose? Or Sam Adams? Because if they don't, maybe they don't win that first Super Bowl.

Blog Entries

I'd still take Britt on a conditional type contract. If he matures and cuts the off the field bullshit out, he'd be a true beast.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    As scallywag pointed out, there's a difference between a bad guy off the field to a bad guy on the field. Of course you can be both, but I wouldn't say that Rolando McClain for example was a bad guy on the field, yet he's actually almost killed people irl.

I'm a big fan of players who are aggressive, and live their lives on the line, on the field. It can lead to fines and flags, but they can also make huge plays at key times, like Pollard did vs NE. You can argue that Ray Lewis was a bad man on the field who was the greatest ILB to ever play the game.

The off the field character issue is irrelevant to the actual game, and it's always a huge red flag when they've had major issues in college or in the NFL.
    Yeah, but on the flip side, I do believe people should, in some cases, get second chances. Didn't say deserve, didn't say always, but in some cases, second chances aren't a bad thing.

Then it puts the onus on the team to decide whether they want to trust a guy or not. The latest story on Rolando McClain seems to indicate that he's honestly trying to change. No guarantee he will, but if it's true and he gets his shit in order, I wouldn't mind giving him a (well, he's past second chance I guess)...another chance.

I believe that Ozzie and John would be well versed on whether or not they truly think he's turned a corner before giving him a shot. Occasionally, we have character issues, but I think they do well on acquitting themselves from guys who really get into trouble outside of the football field.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I can understand why John Harbaugh places such an emphasis on 'Character'.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    This could stem from Bisciotti, too.
    Most definitely. Within a year or so of assuming full control of the team, Bisciotti did an interview where he made it very clear that, without naming names, he wanted nothing to do anymore with the "Cory Fuller's" of the world.

Not saying that Harbaugh hasn't furthered that, but I think Harbaugh's philosophy on these fits right in line with Bisciotti's vision.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Yeah, but on the flip side, I do believe people should, in some cases, get second chances. Didn't say deserve, didn't say always, but in some cases, second chances aren't a bad thing.
    Yeah, there is a big difference between people who make a mistake and knuckleheads. Even people of high character standards can make mistakes in life. It's the repeat offenders who the Ravens shy away from. They are not above giving second chances.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Rolando McClain

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Yeah, there is a big difference between people who make a mistake and knuckleheads. Even people of high character standards can make mistakes in life. It's the repeat offenders who the Ravens shy away from. They are not above giving second chances.
    Agreed. Britt has had nine or ten run ins with the law since he was draft. Nine or ten that's completely unacceptable and someone like that isn't fit to wear the purple and black.