Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chykie Brown

Re: Chykie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't quite agree. If the Ravens feel they will be playoff contenders in 2014, then Graham would be a good resign if reasonable. IMO right now he's miles ahead of C. Brown and Asa.
    Scally posted that many teams utilize 3 WR sets. I'd feel more at ease having Graham out there with Webb and J. Smith than one of those other guys... Bc
    I understand, but Graham is a luxury sign. At one point or another we have to see if Brown and Asa can play. We're going to most likely draft a CB too...but how much time would a rookie CB get I know.

I just feel like the 1.5 million could be spent better elsewhere i.e. Art Jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    Asa might do well, they kept him on the team after his suspension for a reason.
    Yes, just as the Ravens kept Ryan Jensen (OL) on the 53 man roster after his foot injury.
    However, that doesn't necessarily mean either player can perform up to NFL standards.
    Only that the Ravens hierarchy think so. Play on the field always trumps possible future promise. Graham has already met the expectations of a 3rd CB... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    I mean we really only need him to be our 4th/5th corner. I personally think resigning Graham would be a mistake. We already have Jimmy and Webb as our number 1 & 2. We'll most likely draft a CB in the later rounds so our depth chart next year should be: Jimmy, Webb, Asa, Chykie, Rookie.

Hopefully Asa and Chykie can step up during camp.

I've seen no evidence from Asa Jackson and Chykie Brown that they are better than #4 and #5 corners. Admittedly, Jackson has not gotten much of a shot, but that's his own fault for failing to climb the depth chart and then getting suspended. Chykie Brown has generally not been good when he's been on the field.

#3 CB is a 60% or more of snaps player for the Ravens. That is a vitally important position, and I don't trust a rookie or unproven backup to handle the job. I personally would like to see the Ravens re-sign Corey Graham. He is very versatile and arguably our biggest playmaker in the secondary, as evidenced by his 6 INTs over the last 2 years.

The thing is... I don't see Lardarius Webb ever being quite the same player he was in 2011. He got better and better as the year went on last year and played well overall, but he's now blown out his ACL twice and he just had sports hernia surgery. He is a pure speed/quickness player and once he loses that, he won't be very good anymore. His contract runs through 2016 with an extra option year, and he'll be 31 during the 2016 season.

If I were Ozzie, I would re-sign Corey Graham to a 4 year deal, pay Jimmy Smith's option year for 2015, and at the end of the 2015 season, re-sign Smith and cut/trade Webb.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I've seen no evidence from Asa Jackson and Chykie Brown that they are better than #4 and #5 corners. Admittedly, Jackson has not gotten much of a shot, but that's his own fault for failing to climb the depth chart and then getting suspended. Chykie Brown has generally not been good when he's been on the field.

#3 CB is a 60% or more of snaps player for the Ravens. That is a vitally important position, and I don't trust a rookie or unproven backup to handle the job. I personally would like to see the Ravens re-sign Corey Graham. He is very versatile and arguably our biggest playmaker in the secondary, as evidenced by his 6 INTs over the last 2 years.

The thing is... I don't see Lardarius Webb ever being quite the same player he was in 2011. He got better and better as the year went on last year and played well overall, but he's now blown out his ACL twice and he just had sports hernia surgery. He is a pure speed/quickness player and once he loses that, he won't be very good anymore. His contract runs through 2016 with an extra option year, and he'll be 31 during the 2016 season.

If I were Ozzie, I would re-sign Corey Graham to a 4 year deal, pay Jimmy Smith's option year for 2015, and at the end of the 2015 season, re-sign Smith and cut/trade Webb.
    So why are they on our team? Yea generally I agree with you Chykie is poor, but I'm sorry so is Graham most of the time. I just can't get the image of Calvin just blowing by Graham for an easy 20 yard gain on 3rd down (he dropped it, but he was wide open).

I think those 60% of the snaps can be divided up between Asa and a rookie. What is the point of paying/drafting players that will never play?

And I've said this about Corey Graham's interceptions...they were against EJ Manuel, two against Geno and one in the final game of the season when everyone on our team picked off Dalton. Against higher caliber QBs I don't think Corey cuts it. Okay you're gonna respond and say "Denver playoff game"....one was a tipped ball that was floating in the air and the other was a horrible throw by Peyton. Any serviceable CB could have made those plays.

And I think you're completely wrong about Webb. If he plays poor this season then maybe we think about cutting him otherwise he stays. I just think Webb is a top 10 CB when he's 100% healthy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Yes, just as the Ravens kept Ryan Jensen (OL) on the 53 man roster after his foot injury.
    However, that doesn't necessarily mean either player can perform up to NFL standards.
    Only that the Ravens hierarchy think so. Play on the field always trumps possible future promise. Graham has already met the expectations of a 3rd CB... Bc
    Absolutely agree; didn't he lead the team in INTs this year? Not bad for a guy who wasn't normally a starting CB.

I do feel that he will get a lot of interest in FA and some team may over pay him. But hopefully the Ravens find a way to keep him around

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Absolutely agree; didn't he lead the team in INTs this year? Not bad for a guy who wasn't normally a starting CB.
    I do feel that he will get a lot of interest in FA and some team may over pay him. But hopefully the Ravens find a way to keep him around
    Spot on, IMO. CG had 4 INTs, 74 tackles, 1 FF, 12 PDs and played in all 16 games. Those would be good stats for a starting CB, much less a 3rd CB... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I think [Asa Jackson] could be a decent player. He just needs to maintain focus. Maybe he should take some Adderall or something.
    Oh, behave!...

Seriously, if I took adderall for an ADHD diagnosis, I'd be pissed if my employer suspended me for it. Hell, aspirin is performance enhancing if it allows one to perform!

I think the FO is banking on Asa, both as #3/nickle CB if Graham leaves, and replacement for Jacoby (if he leaves) @ KR/PR. They get enamored of these [allegedly brainy] smaller school draftees - see also Ryan Jensen.

Well for those who want to keep Graham, I got a feeling he may not get paid as much as many people assume. There are a lot of CB's in FA this year, 7 ranked among the top 25 and Corey's not one of them. Personally, I'd like to keep him at a team friendly price. He's a good 3rd corner. Anybody who thinks otherwise must not be watching what most other team's put out there.

Asa could be a player. Seems to have a certain it factor, but hasn't done anything yet except get suspended for half a season. If he's our 4th guy, he'll get plenty of opportunities to show what he can do. Plus, he'll return some kicks. However, I can't yet say I'm very comfortable putting him at corner for over 60% of the defensive snaps when so far he's played close to 0% of them. As to Chykie, just say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Oh, behave!...

Seriously, if I took adderall for an ADHD diagnosis, I'd be pissed if my employer suspended me for it.
    That's pretty much his own fault. He had to have clearance and didn't get it. I hope that's in his past, because I like his upside far more than I like Chykie Brown - Jackson just needs to rise to the level the Ravens thought he was capable of reaching when they drafted him.

But it wouldn't surpirse me if the Ravens used a draft pick on another corner to add to the mix. It's a passing league.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

It would be nice to get him re-signed, but, I think that both CB and AJ are ready to take that next step. Actually I think we are in really good shape at CB whether CG leaves or not.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis