Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The New OC is Gary Kubiak...and other staffing changes

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Dennison has never been a QB coach at any level. I'm a little mystified, frankly. It sounds like a "make work" title to me... Gary Kubiak will be the real QB coach in addition to OC. Dennison will likely retain a big role putting together game plans and helping Kubiak call plays, which is what he did in Houston.
    Kyle doesn't want to be the QB coach here, his agent supposedly said no. They have no one else, so they probably just went with Dennison, who as you say, will have a larger than role than just being the QB coach. Hostler is VERY upset, and may opt to leave the Ravens.

Hiring Kubiak is a great move, but I do worry a little about the long-term continuity of the offensive staff. It's no secret that Kubes wants to be a head coach again, and if he succeeds here he'll probably be gone within a year or two. When he does move on, who takes over for him if just Dennison is coming on board with him, as it is likely that Kubes would take Dennison with him to his new job? I guess it's a small price to pay for potentially getting the offense turned around, but I don't like the idea of having to start from scratch on the offensive scheme again in a few years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockDoctor View Post
    Hiring Kubiak is a great move, but I do worry a little about the long-term continuity of the offensive staff. It's no secret that Kubes wants to be a head coach again, and if he succeeds here he'll probably be gone within a year or two. When he does move on, who takes over for him if just Dennison is coming on board with him, as it is likely that Kubes would take Dennison with him to his new job? I guess it's a small price to pay for potentially getting the offense turned around, but I don't like the idea of having to start from scratch on the offensive scheme again in a few years.
    I wouldnt waste one minute worrying about that. Caldwell was as horrible as anyone could have possibly imagined and he still got a HC position. I hope Kubiak sets the world on fire, even if it means he moves on eventually.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Kyle doesn't want to be the QB coach here, his agent supposedly said no. They have no one else, so they probably just went with Dennison, who as you say, will have a larger than role than just being the QB coach. Hostler is VERY upset, and may opt to leave the Ravens.
    If true, my questions of whether Hostler could coexist with a guy that was chosen over him was legit. If he feels that strongly, it would be best for everyone involved if he moved on.

I may be reading this wrong but it almost sounds like he felt entitled to the position. Which might explain why he didn't get it.

On paper, I'd imagine Kubiak's system should work with the Ravens personnel. It seems liek the pieces are there.

He loves the zone blocking scheme, isolation throws to the TE, screen passes to both the RB’s and TE’s and then he will hit the WR on a deep crossing pattern or a fly route. The Ravens have speed at the WR spot with Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones and others. That was lacking a tad in Houston.

Schaub and Case Keenum did not have super strong arms. Kubiak would call the deep sideline and due to the weak arms of both, defenses were on top of that play. It led to the mulitple pick sixes. Joe Flacco has one of the strongest arms in the league and does a nice job with those throws. That should help.

Kubiak is a heavy run first offensive playcaller, you can look for a comeback season for Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce.

Also expect a big year for the TE’s too.

I thought Kubiak had a bad relationship with Jacoby Jones in Houston, and cut him after they gave him a contract extension. But maybe that was media hype. Jones went on to have two great seasons so far in B’More, so it will be interesting how that shakes out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Dennison has never been a QB coach at any level. I'm a little mystified, frankly. It sounds like a "make work" title to me... Gary Kubiak will be the real QB coach in addition to OC. Dennison will likely retain a big role putting together game plans and helping Kubiak call plays, which is what he did in Houston.
    He has been OC twice in his career though...To me, QB coach is less about "mechanics" and more about reading defenses, progressing through reads, etc. Which is why WR coaches can make the jump to QB coach fairly easily.

So that would qualify him, in my book, for the QB coach job.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I hope to god Kubiak is gone next year to be a HC somewhere else because if that's what happens then in all liklihood we had a good season:)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    If true, my questions of whether Hostler could coexist with a guy that was chosen over him was legit. If he feels that strongly, it would be best for everyone involved if he moved on.

I may be reading this wrong but it almost sounds like he felt entitled to the position. Which might explain why he didn't get it.
    Agreed. No disrespect to the poster of that, but I'll wait for confirmation of it. If true, best to move on and get new blood in.

If not true, I'd hold onto Hostler though.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 37s

Ravens won't be retaining tight ends coach coach Wade Harman, according to a source

Blog Entries

Ravens won't be retaining tight ends coach coach Wade Harman, according to a source
    Feared as much. Salute to the man, was here 15 years!

Wow! Kubiak is bringing in his guys. Harman was great, but this is good news. We must let Kubiak assemble the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I hope to god Kubiak is gone next year to be a HC somewhere else because if that's what happens then in all liklihood we had a good season:)
    I completely agree. But I also think it's a bad situation for a QB to have to be constantly learning a new playbook. I guess all I'm trying to say is that I hope they wind up bringing someone else in who is familiar enough with the Kubiak scheme that they can seamlessly slide into his role as OC if/when Kubiak does wind up leaving. I would say that man is Dennison, but given how things have gone down, it's likely that he would leave with Kubiak.