Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Finally, Instant Replay is Done Right

... in Major League Baseball.

They will now have an expanded, NHL style replay system. Managers get one challenge, can earn an extra one if they're right on the first, crew chiefs take over at the 7th inning and the best part, all replays (which will be done at MLB headquarters) will be shown in the stadium.

Why the NFL is dragging its feet on this I will never know. Showing what the replay official is watching in the stadium goes towards making the stadium experience better.

We can hope this will be approved during the owners meeting this year.

Re: Finally, Instant Replay is Done Right

If a central replay review can speed up the process I'm all about it. The time watching refs go back and forth from the field to the booth is wasted time.

Considering the cat fight that seems to exist between the NFL and MLB, this could be the push that the NFL tries to do one better.

Or they could just reject it out of spite.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

I've been converted. Do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I've been converted. Do it.
    Welcome to the club!

What convinced you?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Welcome to the club!

What convinced you?
    I was uneducated on the NHL approach as you know. Technology is there to support this and I believe it will increase consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Why the NFL is dragging its feet on this I will never know.
    I think that's an excellent question, and without having specific evidence, I think Cap'n O has it right with "they could just reject it out of spite." I've always had the feeling that the NFL suits perceive themselves as somehow superior to everything else in how THEY operate, and based on the "not invented here" mentality, are not amenable to adopting "good" ideas from other leagues, sports, etc.

Blog Entries

... in Major League Baseball.

They will now have an expanded, NHL style replay system. Managers get one challenge, can earn an extra one if they're right on the first, crew chiefs take over at the 7th inning and the best part, all replays (which will be done at MLB headquarters) will be shown in the stadium.

Why the NFL is dragging its feet on this I will never know. Showing what the replay official is watching in the stadium goes towards making the stadium experience better.

We can hope this will be approved during the owners meeting this year.
    I have to disagree. MLB got it wrong just like the NFL. Replay shouldn't be in the manager's hands. The NFL and MLB need to just get the calls right and not place the responsibility with the coaches. Put a replay official in the booth that reviews all plays and just get it right. It should be even easier to do this in MLB since time isn't a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I have to disagree. MLB got it wrong just like the NFL. Replay shouldn't be in the manager's hands. The NFL and MLB need to just get the calls right and not place the responsibility with the coaches.
    I've gone back and forth on removing the strategy component. I agree the end result should simply be to get the call right.

Put a replay official in the booth that reviews all plays and just get it right. It should be even easier to do this in MLB since time isn't a factor.
    Disagree. Adding a new person in the booth at every game would require the league to hire 10-12 new officials. That means 10-12 new salaries, benefits, etc.. That's too costly. NHL's system is about as close to perfect you're going to get. It's proven to be faster and more accurate of the major league sports.

Blog Entries

I've gone back and forth on removing the strategy component. I agree the end result should simply be to get the call right.

Disagree. Adding a new person in the booth at every game would require the league to hire 10-12 new officials. That means 10-12 new salaries, benefits, etc.. That's too costly. NHL's system is about as close to perfect you're going to get. It's proven to be faster and more accurate of the major league sports.
    Why do I care that the league has to pay 10-12 new salaries? These leagues are making boatloads of money. The idea is to get it right. Why make replays a part of the strategy of the game? Don't make the coaches do the officials job. Let the coaches coach and let the officials do what they need to do to get it right.

Why do I care that the league has to pay 10-12 new salaries? These leagues are making boatloads of money. The idea is to get it right. Why make replays a part of the strategy of the game? Don't make the coaches do the officials job. Let the coaches coach and let the officials do what they need to do to get it right.
    I am not saying you should care. Unless you're a season ticket holder. If that's the case, the cost of those officials is going to get passed along to the season ticket holders.

But the league isn't going to spend that kind of money if there are cheaper, more effective alternatives.

They didn't get to be making "boatloads of money" by spending money they do not have to.

Even the remote system will mean probably 4 new officials per time slot/game.......and more for night games, etc.
    Way Down South in New Orleans