Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Time for Harbaugh to change

He's without question been one of the best coaches in the NFL since getting the job with the Ravens, he's a great pure coach, and has obviously been really successful. He may not be the most popular of guys with Ravens fans with his conservative approach, but it has worked, and it has won us a ton of games, and a championship.

However, with that said, it is time for the Ravens to change, and get back with the league in where its heading. If we want to become a SB caliber team again, IMO, its going to take more than drafting good players or signing appealing free agents. The philosophy on BOTH sides of the ball MUST change. ACO, WCO, EP, 3-4, 4-3 or whatever scheme it is, is irrelevent, they just need more aggressive and creative play calling to get the best out of our players.

Harbaugh can start by shocking Ravens fans by getting an OC away from his coaching tree, and forcing Pees to be more aggressive with his play calling. The defense has always been better served as an attacking 3-4 unit, not a bend but don't break defense. Harbaugh has been really good here, but at the same time, he's been incredibly annoying at times with his insistence on sticking with the most conservative choices (for the most part) in nearly every aspect of the running the team. Yes it has worked at times, but when you have constant under achieving offenses with the same OC year in year out, it really isn't acceptable IMO.

I don't think he's going to shock us, and he's going to promote his friend, Hoster to OC, who was atrocious with the 49ers, and it could cost Harbaugh his job long term. There is always however, the chance of him surprising us, and getting someone who can turn Joe into an all pro player like he should be, and has time and time again shown glimpses of (usually in big games).

Blog Entries

Re: Time for Harbaugh to change

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He's without question been one of the best coaches in the NFL since getting the job with the Ravens, he's a great pure coach, and has obviously been really successful. He may not be the most popular of guys with Ravens fans with his conservative approach, but it has worked, and it has won us a ton of games, and a championship.

However, with that said, it is time for the Ravens to change, and get back with the league in where its heading. If we want to become a SB caliber team again, IMO, its going to take more than drafting good players or signing appealing free agents. The philosophy on BOTH sides of the ball MUST change. ACO, WCO, EP, 3-4, 4-3 or whatever scheme it is, is irrelevent, they just need more aggressive and creative play calling to get the best out of our players.

Harbaugh can start by shocking Ravens fans by getting an OC away from his coaching tree, and forcing Pees to be more aggressive with his play calling. The defense has always been better served as an attacking 3-4 unit, not a bend but don't break defense. Harbaugh has been really good here, but at the same time, he's been incredibly annoying at times with his insistence on sticking with the most conservative choices (for the most part) in nearly every aspect of the running the team. Yes it has worked at times, but when you have constant under achieving offenses with the same OC year in year out, it really isn't acceptable IMO.

I don't think he's going to shock us, and he's going to promote his friend, Hoster to OC, who was atrocious with the 49ers, and it could cost Harbaugh his job long term. There is always however, the chance of him surprising us, and getting someone who can turn Joe into an all pro player like he should be, and has time and time again shown glimpses of (usually in big games).
    Agree 100% but something tells me he is just to stubborn for change.

Jsmoove has a point. While John Harbaugh is not the asshole his younger brother is, he does share a bit of his stubbornness. Unless perhaps the meetings in Jupiter get him to look at the team and its issues from a better angle that what he's used all season long.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

I don't believe that Harbaugh is averse to change as a lot of us make him out to be. That's just my opinion. He wants to win and he wants to field the best team possible.

I think many fans mistake patience and a methodical approach to impartiality, stubbornness, and risk aversion. We could all say the same thing about Ozzie when it comes to free agency and the draft. There is a method to their madness and it works a lot of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. If he were as risk averse as many here feel he is then why is Castillo and Hostler basically the only offensive coaches still on the books? At no point did they ever come out and say that they were going to wait and see what Caldwell's status was going to be and whether or not they hoped he'd be back. They've also not come out and stated that Hostler will replace Caldwell if he wasn't returning. Many other teams (Bengals, for example) publicly announced within a few minutes of a coach leaving who their successor would be.

I'll be as disappointed as any if they name Hostler the next OC. I still think that they're really weighing their options right now and determining what direction they want to go.

As a caveat:

During their "retreat" to Jupiter, FL...I think that Bisciotti probably had a few choice words for Ozzie, DeCosta, and Harbaugh the past few weeks. Something including "franchise QB...."...."$120 million investment..."...."one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL..." and so on.

:D

Bisciotti doesn't play around. He's a business man through and through. He'll let the football guys do their football things, but I guarantee he is quick to let them know that he is displeased with the result.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    As a caveat:

During their "retreat" to Jupiter, FL...I think that Bisciotti probably had a few choice words for Ozzie, DeCosta, and Harbaugh the past few weeks. Something including "franchise QB...."...."$120 million investment..."...."one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL..." and so on.

:D

Bisciotti doesn't play around. He's a business man through and through. He'll let the football guys do their football things, but I guarantee he is quick to let them know that he is displeased with the result.
    Indeed!! And that's what I surely hope happened and had them lay out their ideas as to how to fix it.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

John gets another year to get better or screw up. Winning the SB gives him that. Raven fans will just have to put up with it. It was on harbaugh this year and will be next year, so we'll have to wait and see.

Blog Entries

It is time to give a little more credit to Ray Lewis for John Harbaugh's success. I clearly see a team that lost its real leader.

When I hear his speech on the NFL women's gear commercial, I think that kind of attitude isn't going to get it done anymore because you don't have #52 to play for. Ask all the players and they put forth maximum effort once Ray announced his retirement, it was the snowflake that fueled our avalanche into winning the Super Bowl.

Now that is gone and the 8-8 record showed that the heart was ripped from this team and John did a poor job of filling that hole this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    It is time to give a little more credit to Ray Lewis for John Harbaugh's success. I clearly see a team that lost its real leader.

When I hear his speech on the NFL women's gear commercial, I think that kind of attitude isn't going to get it done anymore because you don't have #52 to play for. Ask all the players and they put forth maximum effort once Ray announced his retirement, it was the snowflake that fueled our avalanche into winning the Super Bowl.

Now that is gone and the 8-8 record showed that the heart was ripped from this team and John did a poor job of filling that hole this year.
    If the Ravens struggle again next year, I can totally see this narrative taking root across the NFL. Regardless if it is really the case, it will be the overriding perception.

Harbaugh may have final say on his OC.

But I wonder if Ozzie or Steve is steering at all.

Whether Harbaugh knows it or not, his stubborness or willingness to "play ball" with them could have a huge impact on how hot his seat gets in the next season or two should things continue south.

If anyone has any doubts, just ask Ray. He'll tell you how much he was missed by the Ravens this year.

Where was Ray's leadership in 2007 when, just one year removed from a 13-3 record, the team started 4-2 only to lose NINE IN A ROW (including a clusterf*** to the winless Cam Cameron led Phins) and finish at a dismal 5-11.

I love Ray and think that he had a positive influence on the team even as his skills diminished, but even had he played this year I do not think our record would have been any better than 8-8.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    If anyone has any doubts, just ask Ray. He'll tell you how much he was missed by the Ravens this year.
    ray, pollard, q, reed - all leaders lost