Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The Ravens Shouldn't Bring Back Boldin

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I guess being asked to take a $2M paycut, refusing and then being traded wouldn't be a good reason to have an axe to grind......
    Players are asked to take a pay cut all the time. Players, however, are not always traded to a contender who is willing to pay their full salary after they refuse a pay cut.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    There's a better chance the Orioles sign Anquan Boldin than of the Ravens doing it.
    Can he pitch/play 2nd/play LF/DH?

There's no chance Boldin comes back here, but I think it's more because our FO wouldn't even consider him, rather than the other way around. I think he liked it here and he expressed a desire to retire with the Ravens. If SF opted not to resign him, I'd bet he'd be open to returning. However, I don't see our FO going to him, hat in hand, basically admitting their mistake.

Plus, going after Q only makes sense if he's that one player who is the missing link that leads to a championship. We all know that's not the case. This team has many holes to fill before we can say that. I do think we will improve next year and probably even make the playoffs, but it's a leap to think that a 34 year old WR is all that stands between us and winning the SB. We will draft a WR, probably in the 1st, to be our guy for the future.

The point is moot anyway. I'm also sure he's happy in SF. There's nobody breathing down his neck to take his spot. They will resign him and will be wise to do so. They probably have a 2 year window after this season to win it all, if they fall short this year. I honestly think Q can be effective for another 3 years. He's always played with a vet's toughness and smarts, even when he was a young player. That's what made him successful from the start. He has retained those skills.

His game has always been predicated on savvy, tenacity, physicality, technique and vice like hands. Those things deteriorate less over the years than speed and quickness. You always see the big drop offs from guys like Moss and Ochocinco, because they no longer can get separation. Q's game holds up better over time, assuming he's in a smart offense that knows how to utilize him. Of course, this is something we didn't have during his time here, but hopefully will have next year.

Blog Entries

He's not coming back to the Ravens because :
    (a) He was asked to take a 33% pay cut after winning the Super Bowl.
    (b) The 49ers met his $6 mil. price.
    (c) He had an outstanding year in S. F.
    (d) IMO he will stay there on a "reasonable" offer.

... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Not sure of the point of this thread, there's less than a zero chance he's coming back
    :word

Not even sure why this is even a topic.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    And I say this objectively. Boldin will turn 34 next season and unless he's making trips to the fountain of youth his body's not going to be able to keep up for much longer. If the Ravens are going to bring in a reliable pass-catcher it should be a long term solution not a one year stopgap no matter how bad they need one.
    NO way Boldin comes back here! I'm thinking he will go to Arizona if he doesn't resign with SF or retire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Boldin might not want to come back. Trading a player doesn't exactly make for a good relationship
    I agree with this -- the way he was traded, and it coming while he was on a charitable trip to Africa, most likely created hard feelings (particularly after he said he didn't want to play for any team other than the Baltimore Ravens)...

Blog Entries

This thread should be entitled "The Ravens Couldn't Bring Back Boldin" ... Bc