Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Would we have made it to the playoffs with Boldin

I don't know if they make the playoffs with him, any guess is pure opinion and nothing more, but I do know that what you saw today was what a true #1 receiver looks like, and finding a guy like that is the most important thing the Ravens need to do this offseason.

Also, to say Boldin "doesn't get separation"...no shit! When has that EVER been his game? He makes contested catches better than almost anyone. Saying Boldin wouldn't have helped because he "doesn't get separation" shows a complete lack of football knowledge.

Blog Entries

Anquan Boldin would have certainly made a difference, particularly in taking advantage of the coverage attention drawn by Torrey Smith. The Ravens really couldn't take advantage of the middle of the field. Marlon Brown played admirably, but you could tell that Joe was waiting until he got open. Whereas, with Boldin, the chemistry was much better.

Now, if you are simply talking about adding Boldin to the 2013 team we had, I would say that we would have made the playoffs.

However, it's unless you are specifically talking in those terms, it's not that simple. Trading Boldin freed up money for them to bring in other guys. Whether or not they could have gained that money by other means in a different circumstance to debate. So, when talking about Boldin, you have to talk about who they would 'not' have had as well.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Big typo. I'll fix it
    Boldin certainly helps the running game, he is one of the best blocking WRs in the league. Almost a pseudo-offensive lineman.

And he actually could have helped our 4th quarter defense by allowing the offense to stay on the field and reducing the inordinate number of "must stop" drives our defense faced this year due to complete offensive ineptitude.

And then there is the fact he might have fired up our lackadaisical offense in general, especially in hard fought physical battles.

Again, let's stick to the issue over cap space, it the only debatable aspect to the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I don't know if they make the playoffs with him, any guess is pure opinion and nothing more, but I do know that what you saw today was what a true #1 receiver looks like, and finding a guy like that is the most important thing the Ravens need to do this offseason.

Also, to say Boldin "doesn't get separation"...no shit! When has that EVER been his game? He makes contested catches better than almost anyone. Saying Boldin wouldn't have helped because he "doesn't get separation" shows a complete lack of football knowledge.
    Not really, because there are other factors besides a receiver getting separation, such as the QB having ample time to throw. Kaepernick's line protects him better than ours protects Joe. Not understanding this factor "shows a complete lack of football knowledge." And if you watch Boldin from his early days in Arizona, he got plenty of separation.

I just don't know how any reasonable person could say that he would not have helped. Would we have gotten to the playoffs with him? We'll never be able to definitively answer that question.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    These "What If" threads are tiresome.

What if we had a running game?
    What if we had a decent O-line?
    What if our defense hadn't given up damn near 500 yards to Peyton Manning?
    What if we didn't have Clark and Stokley out there with walkers and wheelchairs?
    What if we didn't have so many penalties?
    What if Joe didn't throw 22 INT'S?

You can always go back after the fact and say things would be different if............

Nobody knows for sure what would have happened.

What if i didn't have to wipe my ass every time i took a dump?
    This is where I'm at, if we're going to play the what if game....

What if KO doesn't get hurt?
    What if Pitta doesn't suffer a hip injury that's so rare the only viable comparison is Bo freakin Jackson?
    What if Jacoby doesn't get injured by his own teammate running into him?
    What if Rice doesn't suffer the most serious injury of his career?
    What if Flacco doesn't take a helmet to the knee?
    What if the O-line doesn't take a historic nosedive into suck?

If even one or two of the above doesn't happen (mainly the O-line and Pittas freak injury) I can bet we'd be in the Playoffs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Walks in ....

Sees horse still being beat to death.

... Walks out
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Easily the worst front office move in the 18 seasons of Ravens football. Ravens would have not just made the playoffs had Anquan remained on the team, but likely would have had a 1st round bye and possibly been hosting a playoff game today.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    This is where I'm at, if we're going to play the what if game....

What if KO doesn't get hurt?
    What if Pitta doesn't suffer a hip injury that's so rare the only viable comparison is Bo freakin Jackson?
    What if Jacoby doesn't get injured by his own teammate running into him?
    What if Rice doesn't suffer the most serious injury of his career?
    What if Flacco doesn't take a helmet to the knee?
    What if the O-line doesn't take a historic nosedive into suck?

If even one or two of the above doesn't happen (mainly the O-line and Pittas freak injury) I can bet we'd be in the Playoffs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    I don't think anybody at all disagrees with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    Well, if we had kept Boldin, that would probably have come at the expense of signing Dumervil. Now, I think this year Boldin would have had a bigger impact than Dumervil, but what about going forward? Boldin would have been a FA now and having Dumervil is making the Suggs-situation much easier to handle.
    DOOOOOM and D. Smith were two of Ozzie's best signings ever that wouldn't have happened. At one point Dooooom and Suggs were on target to tie a team record for sacks - 60 for a duo I think until Doooom hurt his ankle and fell off and then Suggs just dropped off. If you thought Ravens gave up a lot of points the last two games it would have been worse without those two alone. Oz signed some others with Bolden's $6M.

Also, Joe would have never gotten the ball to Boldin since he can't get separation. Joe was the most blitzed QB in the game and led in getting sacked at one point. Boldin has a very small window to throw to so Joe wouldn't have gotten him the ball running for his life and with no running game to set up the pass. KAP had the time to get Bolding the ball thru that tight window for over 1100 yards but that wouldn't have happened here. Not even close.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-12-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Not really, because there are other factors besides a receiver getting separation, such as the QB having ample time to throw. Kaepernick's line protects him better than ours protects Joe. Not understanding this factor "shows a complete lack of football knowledge." And if you watch Boldin from his early days in Arizona, he got plenty of separation.
    Boldin had over 1,000 yards several years in Arizona but it dropped off some in CAMs system and picked back up in SF. He
    had that monster 200 yard game in Week 1. That wouldn't have happened her because of what you said.

Blog Entries

Here are his stats from NFL.com. He had 5 1,000 yard seasons in Arizona, none in Bmore in CAMs system - 0, nada, nutten, zip. Then he had 1179 yards this year in SF for over 11,000 career yards. He wouldn't have been close to 1,000 yards this year in Bmore with the blocking Joe got or lack thereof and our defense would have given up more games of over 40 points w/o Dooooom, Smith, etc.

2010 Baltimore Ravens 16 64 837 13.1 52.3 61 7 10 1 43 1
    2009 Arizona Cardinals 15 84 1,024 12.2 68.3 44 4 10 1 49 3
    2008 Arizona Cardinals 12 89 1,038 11.7 86.5 79T 11 10 3 56 3
    2007 Arizona Cardinals 12 71 853 12.0 71.1 44T 9 14 1 43 2
    2006 Arizona Cardinals 16 83 1,203 14.5 75.2 64 4 18 4 53 0
    2005 Arizona Cardinals 14 102 1,402 13.7 100.1 54T 7 21 5 68 2
    2004 Arizona Cardinals 10 56 623 11.1 62.3 31T 1 6 0 32 1
    2003 Arizona Cardinals 16 101 1,377 13.6 86.1 71T 8 20 6 62 2
    TOTAL 156 857 11,344 13.2 72.7 79 65 160 26 557 14

I think we may have converted more than 5 3rd and 7's. No doubt it was a mistake, he was the epitomy of a Raven, tough, hard nosed, and clutch. I think Harbs pulled the trigger on that one and if we tank again next season that may be the move that moves him along. He was the toughness and attitude on offense that was never replaced.

getting rid of Boldin was right move. Not replacing him, not drafting wr high in draft, mismanaging ol and wasting money on Huff and Spears were far bigger issues.

Blog Entries

Just a huge mistake letting Boldin go. I said it when it happened and it's true now. We are in the playoffs if we keep Boldin. I have no doubt about it.