Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Would we have made it to the playoffs with Boldin

Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    ur right he averaged 4.2 on all passing plays. however on third down it goes down (couldnt find accurate number). we would be using boldin on third down more than anything so i would say the more realistic number is 3.5? still pretty quick.
    3 seconds is the normal time you want your QB getting rid of the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'd also add that considering on those plays where Joe does get pressure that he throws up 50-50 balls...and that was perhaps one of the spots Boldin shined and the guys we had this year struggled...that would lend me to say he would have still made a significant difference.

now this is not even something i considered..... we could have used that, but would you have perferred Marlon for many years (thinking he may have been on the chop block if Q was here) or boldin for this year only?

Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    now this is not even something i considered..... we could have used that, but would you have perferred Marlon for many years (thinking he may have been on the chop block if Q was here) or boldin for this year only?
    I'd prefer both...I think Marlon makes the team regardless...it's not like even with Boldin we would have had this deep WR group and I think the coaches and scouts still would have been going after him as a UDFA...the real question would have been would Boldin have scared Marlon away.

If it were an either or? That's tough...real tough considering that even with Boldin, with the way the season unwounded with all the other injuries and bad play, I don't think we win it all or even go deep in the playoffs...although IMHO, I do think we win one of those close games we lost and make it in with him.

I guess the answer is...Brown by the tiniest of margins and that's with a lot of hindsight with how the rest of the season turned out.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

These "What If" threads are tiresome.

What if we had a running game?
    What if we had a decent O-line?
    What if our defense hadn't given up damn near 500 yards to Peyton Manning?
    What if we didn't have Clark and Stokley out there with walkers and wheelchairs?
    What if we didn't have so many penalties?
    What if Joe didn't throw 22 INT'S?

You can always go back after the fact and say things would be different if............

Nobody knows for sure what would have happened.

What if i didn't have to wipe my ass every time i took a dump?

Blog Entries

Ok, so now Joe consistently only had 2 seconds to throw the ball?

Check out film studies articles this year on Joe's stats with Ample TIME and Space.

While Joe didn't have good protection this year, acting like he rarely had more tha 2 seconds to throw is pure hyperbole.

In addition, this was by far Flacco's worst year WITH ATS. I think Boldin would have helped. But what do I know

It's always dicey playing the what if game with one player, unless it's a QB, because everything that happens is a chain reaction. If Pitta hadn't been out most of the year, would Q's presence have mattered as much? Would having Pitta all year have made us one game better and we squeak in as the 6th seed? I think yes. Would having Q, with Pitta out, made us 1, maybe even 2, games better? I think, yes there as well, to one game, even with our antiquated offense. So what would we have gained, a chance to go on the road as the 6th seed?

Remember we finished 3 games, or more, behind every team who made it, other than SD, who we would have replaced. So if we are 9-7, instead of 8-8, we are still 2 games behind the next worse playoff team. I know the anything can happen once you're in argument, but not with this team. This wasn't last year, which I truly believe was a team of destiny.

Now assume we have Boldin. You have him and Torrey starting the year, with Jacoby as the 3rd guy, but he gets hurt. So they try to make Doss the guy for a little bit, but he gives way to Marlon, who is better, but he's still just the #3. Fewer snaps, fewer opportunities to emerge and develop. Who knows how we'd be viewing Marlon right now? But we do know that Q would be a FA and maybe the Ravens would have a little better record, but are gone from the playoffs in all likelihood and holding a worse draft pick.

Now we have a real shot at an impact WR to count on for years to come, rather than a 34 year old FA that we have to decide whether or not to sign. I guess I'm saying that yes, having a clutch wideout like Q certainly would have helped, but this team was broken in many areas, including coaching. I really don't think it was going anywhere, even with Boldin. In the short term losing him hurt for sure, but taking the long view, I think we will end up being better off.

I do, however, have a problem with the whole brotherly love, give away aspect of the deal. So now Q gets to make another SB run, so I'm sure he's happy. When it's all said and done, it just is what it is. No point in continuing to bemoan it. The Ravens will be back. I'm sure of it. Maybe they almost needed this year to wake them up in a few areas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    ?????

Typo?
    Big typo. I'll fix it

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    These "What If" threads are tiresome.

What if we had a running game?
    What if we had a decent O-line?
    What if our defense hadn't given up damn near 500 yards to Peyton Manning?
    What if we didn't have Clark and Stokley out there with walkers and wheelchairs?
    What if we didn't have so many penalties?
    What if Joe didn't throw 22 INT'S?

You can always go back after the fact and say things would be different if............

Nobody knows for sure what would have happened.

What if i didn't have to wipe my ass every time i took a dump?
    Tiresome? You mean awesome. 20/20 hindsight rules!

Ok, so now Joe consistently only had 2 seconds to throw the ball?

Check out film studies articles this year on Joe's stats with Ample TIME and Space.

While Joe didn't have good protection this year, acting like he rarely had more tha 2 seconds to throw is pure hyperbole.

People get locked into their preconceived notions and simply refuse to give an inch, even if it means bleating silly talking points over and over and over.

When someone attempts to argue Boldin wouldn't have helped us because he isn't very good, you can instantly conclude they either a) know almost nothing about football or b) are being stubbornly disingenuous. It is pretty embarrassing, either way.

Blog Entries

I don't know if they make the playoffs with him, any guess is pure opinion and nothing more, but I do know that what you saw today was what a true #1 receiver looks like, and finding a guy like that is the most important thing the Ravens need to do this offseason.

Also, to say Boldin "doesn't get separation"...no shit! When has that EVER been his game? He makes contested catches better than almost anyone. Saying Boldin wouldn't have helped because he "doesn't get separation" shows a complete lack of football knowledge.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Anquan Boldin would have certainly made a difference, particularly in taking advantage of the coverage attention drawn by Torrey Smith. The Ravens really couldn't take advantage of the middle of the field. Marlon Brown played admirably, but you could tell that Joe was waiting until he got open. Whereas, with Boldin, the chemistry was much better.

Now, if you are simply talking about adding Boldin to the 2013 team we had, I would say that we would have made the playoffs.

However, it's unless you are specifically talking in those terms, it's not that simple. Trading Boldin freed up money for them to bring in other guys. Whether or not they could have gained that money by other means in a different circumstance to debate. So, when talking about Boldin, you have to talk about who they would 'not' have had as well.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Big typo. I'll fix it
    Boldin certainly helps the running game, he is one of the best blocking WRs in the league. Almost a pseudo-offensive lineman.

And he actually could have helped our 4th quarter defense by allowing the offense to stay on the field and reducing the inordinate number of "must stop" drives our defense faced this year due to complete offensive ineptitude.

And then there is the fact he might have fired up our lackadaisical offense in general, especially in hard fought physical battles.

Again, let's stick to the issue over cap space, it the only debatable aspect to the decision.