Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Reading the offseason tea leaves

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    I think that would be a disaster or perhaps more a repeat of the same disaster we saw this year.

No idea how credible this is, but it has an eery feeling of familiarity to it.
    Believe me, I totally understand the concern with Hostler possibly being promoted, but Ozzie was VERY complimentary of him during this week's presser. I think it's gonna happen.

If Hostler is promoted to OC, he had better succeed along with Castillo. If the Ravens have a pedestrian offense next year and miss the playoffs, Bisciotti should fire Harbaugh.

Blog Entries

My thing is looking at the lower end, you all can tell me about the upper end.

C Reggie Stephens has a lot of look-ats
    Inactive for 16 games at Cincy in 2010 and in their Training camps of 2011,2012, Bears/Bills/Ravens PS
    He is either going to be a 5th year wonder type of player (Dwan Edwards) or gone....tea leaves say that C is squeezed for him this year

OL deep depth?
    Jah Reid? AQ Shipley?
    Depends on C if Gino is relegated to back-up C then he also becomes back-up G

Wondering if Oher gets the Ray Lewis/Ed Reed type conversation .... here is what we are willing to pay you, go test the market
    I'm not sure we "dump" Michael, I think we right player/right price him and if he gets a big payday from someone else he is gone, and if he doesn't then we have a place for him

It all hinges on Monroe, I think we all know that.... having to fill LT changes everything starting with draft status.
    Wagner and Jensen are in but not sure what tier (starter or still developmental, if healthy Jensen bumps Shipley for sure), and KO not sure what recovery

I can see 2 OL being added in this draft one of which being a developmental T (Like Harewood/Jah/Wagner/Pashos) and I can see a G/C

I can also see a raft of LBs, but that is not new for us (UDFA) .... selling point this year is we have roster room if you are good enough to take it. Adrian Hamilton? make the team or gone this year unless he is a beast on ST
    To understand paranoid people better, follow them around.

Blog Entries

Welcome back Shas. Talk about a Super Bowl hangover. You missed most of the fun this year
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

I don't think there is any chance Oher remains with the team, in any capacity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    If Hostler is promoted to OC, he had better succeed along with Castillo. If the Ravens have a pedestrian offense next year and miss the playoffs, Bisciotti should fire Harbaugh.
    Didn't Steve tell the Sad Sack of Krispy Kreme Krumbz that Harbs & Oz basically had next year to fix things, & if they didn't he'd be stepping in?

BTW anyone who thinks Hostler might be a competent OC should click on the link in #14 above. As Don't Know notes, that 49ers fan's complaints have an eerily similar ring, particularly the part about play calling. Also pay attention to the short description of his resume--every job he's had on the offensive side of the ball he's fucked up, including the past few years as WR coach here (sorry but IMHO he hasn't done a goddamned thing to improve any of the receivers).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Believe me, I totally understand the concern with Hostler possibly being promoted, but Ozzie was VERY complimentary of him during this week's presser. I think it's gonna happen.
    I noticed this, as well. A "very, very, bright future". C'mon Oz, say it ain't so.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I vehemently do not agree. After 5 consecutive playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl Championship, do you really believe Bisciotti actually would fire Harbaugh? The owner would be unhappy, and probably would demand changes, but to fire Harbs? IMO no way that's gonna happen... Bc

It's very possible that Biscuit was told Hostler is the guy, if Caldwell leaves. It would explain a lot of his attitude at the presser, when he was speaking about next year and if there is repeated failure.

I don't feel good about this, at all.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

i agree with u about harbs. i never thought he was that good of a coach. i also thought that ray and ed always covered up his pedestrian coaching by being coaches on the field and the offense just gave it to rice and let him do his thing. harbs' clock management is absolutely poor and it always has been, as preston said when he was grading the coaching staff this year.

This might sound ridiculous, but, to me, I don't know if Joe impresses as the type who would want to learn an entirely new offense going into his seventh season. So, if Hostler is in fact promoted, I think we'll see a lot of the same schemes, with some major tweaks incorporated into the specific play calling. I can see them improving the offensive line, while adding more playmakers on the outside, and giving Joe more autonomy. Hostler didn't impress in SF, but he does have actual play calling experience, and perhaps a few seasons as an offensive position coach has given him a different view on how to properly do that.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Didn't Steve tell the Sad Sack of Krispy Kreme Krumbz that Harbs & Oz basically had next year to fix things, & if they didn't he'd be stepping in?

BTW anyone who thinks Hostler might be a competent OC should click on the link in #14 above. As Don't Know notes, that 49ers fan's complaints have an eerily similar ring, particularly the part about play calling. Also pay attention to the short description of his resume--every job he's had on the offensive side of the ball he's fucked up, including the past few years as WR coach here (sorry but IMHO he hasn't done a goddamned thing to improve any of the receivers).
    Here is a probably more credible exposť of Hostlers accomplishments as an OC.

I would love to quote pieces of it, but it really deserves to be read in it's entirety.

Blog Entries

I do NOT want Hostler as our OC. But I don't think articles fro 2007 or 2008 are that relative. People learn, mature, gain skills or maybe lose them. I'd have to defer to the Raven's management opinion as opposed to a dated article.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Harbs just lost some political capital, and he's already putting his neck on the line bringing back Castillo. No way he hands the OC reins over to anyone but a proven, successful playcaller. Transferrence of risk as they call it. Whatever happens, the offense cannot fall on its face next year due to crappy coaching or Bisciotti will go apeshit.

For the same reason, they will heavily invest in the OL. This unit will not be set up to fail next year. It could fail due to injury, but not because the likes of AQ Shipley are in the mix for a starting job.

LT - Monroe. He's their #1 FA priority. Certainly over Art Jones.
    LG - KO, or Wagner.
    C - a proven vet C will be brought in a-la Birk in 2009. Mack would be my first choice. Gino will put on 10-15 pounds in the weight room and back him up. Jensen also in the mix but I predict Gino will come in bigger and stronger and he has the experience thus the edge.
    RT - Yanda.
    RT - Oher is gone. I see them bringing in a "right price" vet to compete with Wagner and my dark horse, Mims.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    Here is a probably more credible exposť of Hostlers accomplishments as an OC.

I would love to quote pieces of it, but it really deserves to be read in it's entirety.
    Thanky kindly. I'll do the heavy quoting for you. This to me is the nub of it:

You need a big-picture idea of what you want to do, and what Hostler shows is a play-by-play myopiaÖ Heís not looking multi-dimensionally. He canít flood a zone or force the defense to backpedal.

Heís not working to set up the defense for the third quarter because he can barely figure out what he wants to do now, on second and eight.
    My question is, how in the hell could anyone expect Hostler to have gotten any better at play calling when he's had no responsibility for it in the 4 years as the Ravens WR coach?

(You can't even invoke the Peter Principle--IMHO he's already at his level of incompetence as a WR coach.)