Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Reading the offseason tea leaves

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Coaching Staff

Caldwell will not return as OC
    Check. They would have expressed their desire to have him back if they wanted him.

They will be contacting prospects now but will slow play it while Caldwell’s interviews continue
    Check

Or, Jim Hostler will also be considered for OC
    Unfortunately, check. Preston floated this nugget this morning for a reason. I have no reason to believe this will be a successful move. He failed in SF and everyone from Castillo and Joe, to Harbs and Ray will be feeling some pressure in 2014. We need someone better than Hostler.

Did Preston say this on the radio? I haven't seen anything in print.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I think that would be a disaster or perhaps more a repeat of the same disaster we saw this year.

No idea how credible this is, but it has an eery feeling of familiarity to it.

Coaching Staff

Caldwell will not return as OC
    They will be contacting prospects now but will slow play it while Caldwell’s interviews continue

Agreed, but I think the pressure is on so we may pull from the outside considering their are so many accomplished coordinators available.

Running Backs

Will look to draft a tailback with more “shake” -- perhaps a 4th or 5th round pick from a small school
    Leach does not return and Juszczyk will be given a role in the offense as an H back

Agreed not much more to say here

Wide Receivers

Jacoby Jones will not be back
    Will draft Mike Evans in the first round, or will find a similar type of receiver later in the draft or a FA
    Tandon Doss will sign a RFA offer sheet

I don't know about Mike Evans because we may have a better route running version of him in Marlon. We'll see. Tandon should get another chance due to punt and kick return ability

Tight Ends

Dennis Pitta will be resigned to a new contract or franchised
    Ed Dickson is gone
    Matt Furstenberg will be given an opportunity to compete with a later round draft pick
    May also look to sign a street free agent late to compete for a spot

If a pick isn't made in the 1st rd then yes to this.

Offensive line

Will attempt to resign Monroe
    If cannot resign him, will consider Oher back at left tackle (yes, I think they might), otherwise he is gone
    KO and Wagner will be given the chance to compete for the RT spot
    Will draft an athletic, physical interior lineman within the first two days of the draft
    Left Guard and Center position will become camp battle with the Rookie, Gradkowski, Jensen, Shipley (resigns as RFA), Reid and KO/Wagner all in the mix

I know that this was eluded to the State of the Ravens, but I can't see Oher back. Maybe Im just fighting this hard lol. He was such a drive killer and constantly doing it.

Quarterback

Will look to bring in a rookie QB fifth round or later, with Taylor in the final year of his deal

Yup

Defensive Line

Ngata returns, contract unchanged
    Will attempt to resign Art Jones – more of an effort than with Ellerbe and Kruger last year, because they will rate him much higher than they rated Ellerbe and Kruger -- but won’t break the bank
    Terrance Cody will not return
    Lewis-Moore and Williams to receive more reps on the interior
    If Cody and Jones both go will draft a DL late

I think Lewis-Moore maybe the reason they wouldn't break the bank for Art. Nice pick and stash pick by the Ravens.

Linebackers

Will sign Smith to a new contract
    Suggs is restructured. Or, if he refuses, they will let him go
    Simon will get more reps, particularly if Suggs goes
    McClain is gone and Arthur Brown steps in
    Will draft a later round LB for depth and special teams

You think Adrian Hamilton will be in the mix for pass rushing ability?

Corners

Will resign Graham
    Will attempt to extend Smith
    Will explore restructuring Webb

Are the Ravens going to go back on their word on not restructuring contracts?

Safety

Ihedigbo does not come back, Elam becomes the starting SS
    Draft a cover safety in the second or third round, or failing that, sign a veteran cover safety

Special Teams

Koch returns
    Draft a late round punter or UDFA to compete in camp
    Draft a late round corner or receiver to compete as a returner with Deonte Thompson and Asa Jackson

The disappearance of Deonte was baffling to me. He was talked up so much, got hurt and then nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    I think that would be a disaster or perhaps more a repeat of the same disaster we saw this year.

No idea how credible this is, but it has an eery feeling of familiarity to it.
    Believe me, I totally understand the concern with Hostler possibly being promoted, but Ozzie was VERY complimentary of him during this week's presser. I think it's gonna happen.

Blog Entries

If Hostler is promoted to OC, he had better succeed along with Castillo. If the Ravens have a pedestrian offense next year and miss the playoffs, Bisciotti should fire Harbaugh.

Blog Entries

My thing is looking at the lower end, you all can tell me about the upper end.

C Reggie Stephens has a lot of look-ats
    Inactive for 16 games at Cincy in 2010 and in their Training camps of 2011,2012, Bears/Bills/Ravens PS
    He is either going to be a 5th year wonder type of player (Dwan Edwards) or gone....tea leaves say that C is squeezed for him this year

OL deep depth?
    Jah Reid? AQ Shipley?
    Depends on C if Gino is relegated to back-up C then he also becomes back-up G

Wondering if Oher gets the Ray Lewis/Ed Reed type conversation .... here is what we are willing to pay you, go test the market
    I'm not sure we "dump" Michael, I think we right player/right price him and if he gets a big payday from someone else he is gone, and if he doesn't then we have a place for him

It all hinges on Monroe, I think we all know that.... having to fill LT changes everything starting with draft status.
    Wagner and Jensen are in but not sure what tier (starter or still developmental, if healthy Jensen bumps Shipley for sure), and KO not sure what recovery

I can see 2 OL being added in this draft one of which being a developmental T (Like Harewood/Jah/Wagner/Pashos) and I can see a G/C

I can also see a raft of LBs, but that is not new for us (UDFA) .... selling point this year is we have roster room if you are good enough to take it. Adrian Hamilton? make the team or gone this year unless he is a beast on ST
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Welcome back Shas. Talk about a Super Bowl hangover. You missed most of the fun this year

I don't think there is any chance Oher remains with the team, in any capacity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    If Hostler is promoted to OC, he had better succeed along with Castillo. If the Ravens have a pedestrian offense next year and miss the playoffs, Bisciotti should fire Harbaugh.
    Didn't Steve tell the Sad Sack of Krispy Kreme Krumbz that Harbs & Oz basically had next year to fix things, & if they didn't he'd be stepping in?

BTW anyone who thinks Hostler might be a competent OC should click on the link in #14 above. As Don't Know notes, that 49ers fan's complaints have an eerily similar ring, particularly the part about play calling. Also pay attention to the short description of his resume--every job he's had on the offensive side of the ball he's fucked up, including the past few years as WR coach here (sorry but IMHO he hasn't done a goddamned thing to improve any of the receivers).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Believe me, I totally understand the concern with Hostler possibly being promoted, but Ozzie was VERY complimentary of him during this week's presser. I think it's gonna happen.
    I noticed this, as well. A "very, very, bright future". C'mon Oz, say it ain't so.

Blog Entries

I vehemently do not agree. After 5 consecutive playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl Championship, do you really believe Bisciotti actually would fire Harbaugh? The owner would be unhappy, and probably would demand changes, but to fire Harbs? IMO no way that's gonna happen... Bc

It's very possible that Biscuit was told Hostler is the guy, if Caldwell leaves. It would explain a lot of his attitude at the presser, when he was speaking about next year and if there is repeated failure.

I don't feel good about this, at all.